Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Skytex Reader?

I saw this Skytex ereader posted on SuperMediaStore.com's site. Searched our trusty MobileRead site and couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...20Hour%20Deals!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Looks nice ... skytex have a range of products as well as this ereader....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
specs available here:
http://www.skytex.com/e-readers

is 480x800 SVGA acceptable resolution?

would it handle book length PDFs okay with this?:
CPU
• 400mhz ARM9

Memory looks okay:
Memory
• 2GB Internal
• SD Card support (up to 16GB)

I've picked up a lot of PDF books recently and would definitely consider a cheepie device if it let me read 'em in landscape. Would not care a bit if it didn't do anything else if I could get it on sale for 100 bucks or so.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In their primer quickstart guide, introduction section, it is stated:
Quote:
• Super long battery life will keep you reading over 8,000 pages
between charges
Color and battery life comparable to eInk screens? At $150?

Sounds to good to be true.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
The Aluratek Libre IIRC has a 640 x 480 screen, uses a 200mhz ARM9 processor, and handles book PDFs fairly well (for a 5" screen any way). Opening them is a little slow (5-15 secs), and page turns are about 1 sec each. But I have yet to find a PDF that I would actually like reading on my Libre (No, I haven't paid for any yet, just free/public domain stuff.)
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
spuds
spuds began at the beginning.

Device: none
new here ! - I have seen this reader for $99-$109.
Has anyone tried one?
looking to get my first reader and want to get a decent one
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Is this the same reader?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44051
It looks like it could be. Battery life for that one is reported to be ~13 hours.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Looks like a rebadge of one of the Eken readers from China. There is a chance someone has one and has commented in the Other devices section.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I saw this Skytex ereader posted on SuperMediaStore.com's site. Searched our trusty MobileRead site and couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...20Hour%20Deals!
Looks like Wal-Mart carries it under a different brand name and much lower price. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=15250087 Three ratings all 5 stars. Then again I'm guessing the average W-M shopper isn't as into this stuff as we are so I wouldn't know their expectations going in.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Does anyone know what OS its using?
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Not any "known" OS to me, it just seems something made for the device, very basic. If anyone wants some information, I got the device, but didn't use much so far, as I got a PRS 650 for reading books. I intend to use the device mainly for watching videos, and am currently trying to convert my videos (tv recorded programs, TS /mpeg2) to something the reader can read.

Oh, and it's the same device as the one from this other thread, and is commonly sold around 80$ (that's the price I paid).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97896

Last edited by Papi; 12-02-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Mentioning the other post
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
LilBitVal
LilBitVal began at the beginning.

Device: Primer
My husband bought me the Skytex Primer. He paid an excellent price, and it has a lot of functions. I like it but have discovered that it only accepts non-drm ebooks. Most of those are very old publishings, so am searching for some newer ones. they said they will soon be contracting for the ability to download more and the upgrade to my ereader will be free.
LilBitVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
there is going to be alot (and I mean ALOT) of cheap 7" LCD devices coming out in the matter of nearest months... the process already started and we must be very careful picking those since lots of them will be just what we get for the price: cheap and average quality tablets with poor display resolution and short battery life...
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
beruli
beruli began at the beginning.

Device: skytex
Not to sure, but from what ive heard, its a linux build under the hood.
beruli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBitVal View Post
My husband bought me the Skytex Primer. He paid an excellent price, and it has a lot of functions. I like it but have discovered that it only accepts non-drm ebooks. Most of those are very old publishings, so am searching for some newer ones. they said they will soon be contracting for the ability to download more and the upgrade to my ereader will be free.
Do you have version 1.1 of the firmware? I don't know if it provides DRM support but there is an upgrade for it on their site: http://www.skytex.com/index.php?opti...d=16&Itemid=70

Also Calibre and plugins from Alf's blog are your friend for DRM'd books.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote