Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Home page > Latest E-Books > BookX BookX BookX ...

On the home page there is a separate section showing the latest ebooks. It usually shows about 12 books but for some reason they are always the same book repeated endlessly. Is this a bug in the software or is it supposed to be like this? Personally I'd prefer to see different titles, the book category and perhaps a quick précis. Price and user feedback would also be neat. Even better would be if I could specify what book categories I'm interested in and only see books in these categories.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
On the home page there is a separate section showing the latest ebooks. It usually shows about 12 books but for some reason they are always the same book repeated endlessly. Is this a bug in the software or is it supposed to be like this? Personally I'd prefer to see different titles, the book category and perhaps a quick précis. Price and user feedback would also be neat. Even better would be if I could specify what book categories I'm interested in and only see books in these categories.

Mike

Mike,

They often are the same book, the reason for the repeats is it's the latest book in EACH eBook Format
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Price and user feedback would also be neat.
Those are the latest ebooks uploaded to MobileRead, so the price is always free, and the user feedback (if any) can be seen if you visit the forum (click on the link).

The fact that the same book is repeated several times is due to every format being listed separately, and every attachment as well (so if someone uploads a book and a cover, both are listed as separate uploads).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, as many have noted, this is just showing you the different formats that are available for a specific title.

HOWEVER:

I will admit that I find it personally confusing that a graphic image would also be shown for the same title - having two listings for actually ONE book doesn't really serve to clarify the listings - in my opinion.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The multiple listings, as Kevin said, are for the multiple formats. If you click on the "ebooks" link at the top of the home page (right between UserCP and New Posts) you'll have an option to browse all new ebooks, or your choice of formats.

The browsing page has options to filter by format and by category. For example, I'm currently looking at a list of all the science fiction in epub format. You can sort that list by author or by date uploaded.

The descriptions, reader comments, etc., are in the individual book listings, like this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36707

The reason there's no price shown is that there isn't one.

That's right, they're all free. They've either been shared by their authors as promos, such as the example above, or they're out of copyright and have entered the public domain.

Happy reading!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm very happy to hear about the price and I pretty much understand that the book is in many different formats though the same format does appear twice for each book but with a much smaller file size - I guess that's the book cover but why show the same book more than once? why show it 10 times? I obviously can't complain about what is provided free but I'm sure the section would have more impact if you just showed a list of the latest (different) titles.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The problem is the list of "latest ebooks" shown in the homepage is generated automatically from the forum uploads. I think the ebook upload system/database is being reworked, that will hopefully make it easier to sort different formats and what is really a book and what is something else (a script, a cover...). Currently, there is no concept of "the same book in different formats" (different threads can have different titles, and even if they have the same title, they could be uploaded by different people, with different source texts/qualities), and every attachment is considered an ebook (some times you actually find several books in the same thread).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

fair enough though perhaps you could ask for a certain format for the entry which might make it easier to write a script.