Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Does Sony Reader Library conflict with Calibre?

I haven't been able to launch Sony Reader Library. Just want to rule out a few causes. Does Calibre conflict with Reader Library? Can both be installed and run?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Sony Reader Library doesn't conflict with Calibre or vice versa. You can have both installed and they will work. If one of those doesn't work on your computer then it's most likely another problem...

Last edited by netseeker; 02-18-2010 at 06:30 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Only restriction is don't let them both run at once - they will corrupt the reader memory.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Only restriction is don't let them both run at once - they will corrupt the reader memory.

Robert
That's not entirely correct. There's absolutely no problem with running them both at once; the only thing you mustn't do is allow them both to transfer files to the Reader in the same "session" (the time the Reader is connected to the PC).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
I've noticed that the Collections created by one software seems to overwrite the Collections from the other.

For example, I've set up a "Novels" collection. I'll add any novels I purchase from the Sony Bookstore to that collection in the Sony Library, and any novels that I have in Calibre will be tagged with "Novels" in Calibre. However, when I run one or the other, the "Novels" Collection will only show the novels from the software I just ran.

Does that make sense? Are there any solutions aside from just using one piece of software?
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
I've noticed that the Collections created by one software seems to overwrite the Collections from the other.

For example, I've set up a "Novels" collection. I'll add any novels I purchase from the Sony Bookstore to that collection in the Sony Library, and any novels that I have in Calibre will be tagged with "Novels" in Calibre. However, when I run one or the other, the "Novels" Collection will only show the novels from the software I just ran.
I only use Calibre, but what you are experiencing makes total sense. The Sony library and Calibre are two different products each designed to function independent from each other. If you use both products to manage books on your ereader then you can expect to have them overwrite each other on a regular basis.

Quote:
Does that make sense? Are there any solutions aside from just using one piece of software?
There is a solution, pick one program to manage books sent to your reader. As I said I use Calibre to manage my ebooks and send them to the reader. I still use Sony Library to make some purchases from Sony. I just add those books to Calibre and manage them in Calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There is a solution, pick one program to manage books sent to your reader. As I said I use Calibre to manage my ebooks and send them to the reader. I still use Sony Library to make some purchases from Sony. I just add those books to Calibre and manage them in Calibre.
Agreed, although my choice is to do it the other way around - I use Calibre to convert my eBooks, but Sony eBook Library to transfer them to the Reader. The important thing is to do it with one or the other, but not both.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post

I haven't been able to launch Sony Reader Library. Just want to rule out a few causes. Does Calibre conflict with Reader Library? Can both be installed and run?

There have been a number of issues with the most recent Sony Library software, most associated with Vista. Check the threads here, there are several and several work-arounds. Mostly the issue is having to have an exemption for the application, but also some potential issues with firewalls and network....

There's not conflict between Calibre and Sony Library, but both load the reader catalog when you connect so you don't want to run them at the same time, lest things get confusing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I only use Calibre, but what you are experiencing makes total sense. The Sony library and Calibre are two different products each designed to function independent from each other. If you use both products to manage books on your ereader then you can expect to have them overwrite each other on a regular basis.
Yeah, it makes sense to me too. I do think that the software should be able to handle it, though. (Although, to be honest, I don't know how Sony stores the Collections data on the reader.)

Quote:
I know. I was just trying to see if there was some other way to do it. I like both pieces of software for different reasons, so I just wanted to see if I could use both. I'll probably end up doing what Harry's doing, though, since there doesn't seem to be a way around it.

Thanks, all.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, it makes sense to me too. I do think that the software should be able to handle it, though. (Although, to be honest, I don't know how Sony stores the Collections data on the reader.)
I have never used Sony software to manage my books but they both obviously do a fine job handling collections. I use the news recipes a lot for downloading/reading the news and web sites of choice. For me this feature make Calibre the preferred choice.

Whatever works best for you is the way to go.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
bump

Since losing my hardrive, I had to reinstall Calibre and Sony Library.

Before the crash, I had no problems and I did not run them both as the same time.

I just reinstalled Sony Library, and now Calibre won't open.

Quote:
Python function terminated unexpectantly
No module named reader (Error Code:1)
Did the reader software change Calibre so it won't open?
Should I just download Calibre again?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Did the reader software change Calibre so it won't open? Should I just download Calibre again?
Who knows why these things happen. Uninstall calibre and try again.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
bump

Since losing my hardrive, I had to reinstall Calibre and Sony Library.

Before the crash, I had no problems and I did not run them both as the same time.

I just reinstalled Sony Library, and now Calibre won't open.

Did the reader software change Calibre so it won't open?
Should I just download Calibre again?
Nope. you got something else going on most likely.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Bluddy windows 7 At least all the computers are showing on the network now
I just thought the error message containing the word 'reader' pointed to Sony.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
kennyc

I've still not been able to get this new win7-64 machine to see all my other networked computers. But for now I'm working with it....netbook is there and old laptop is there.