Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #31
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I really like the Inspector Banks novels by Peter Robinson. Here is a detective who has a life and family that actual effect his work like a real person. Imagine a detective's horror at investigating the murder of a girl the same age and appearance as your daughter. Well Peter Robinson can and includes this in one of the books. A very nice addition to the traditional detective who's job and life never interact.

The URL to learn more is http://www.inspectorbanks.com/

Enjoy the read!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
One of the better detective novels I've read in a while was Martin Amis' Night Train
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
Who are your FAVORITE SLEUTHS?
Mine is rather obscure: Rock Lobster. It's really difficult to find stories about him; most of the witnesses are either dead, in the witness protection program or fled the country.

Last edited by Nate the great; 02-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #34
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Ok I just added way too many authors to my reading list.

Sigh! So many books, so little time!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #35
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Here's one that most people in the West have probably never heard of (I never had, until I stumbled across this book):

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0070506dr.html

I can't find a site selling an ebook version of it, but I know that a obviously professional, "official" ebook exists
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 AM   #36
bilalamjad3
bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i am a big fan of john wiiliam and sara.
bilalamjad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #37
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Lt Eve Dallas is fabulous and Stephanie Plum is hilarious.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #38
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I'm not sure I'd consider Stephanie Plum a sleuth though - her method of solving crimes is usually knocking on the wrong door at the wrong time

Apart from those mentioned already, Peter Wimsey and Philo Vance (if I didn't just miss them mentioned).
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #39
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I'm fond of dear old Brother Cadfael (by Ellis Peters). Also Marcus Didius Falco (Lindsey Davis' Roman investigator), and Stephanie Barron's vision of Jane Austen as an amateur detective. And of course Dirk Gentley (by Douglas Adams).
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #40
Slash5
Slash5 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Sony PRS-505
Every Sherlock Holmes fan has to try the Inspector Lestrade stories by M. J. Trow.
Slash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #41
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
Nancy Drew, of course. Sure wish the original, out-of-print editions of her pre-1970 books were available as ebooks.
They are. Those hardbacks (in yellow) up to #60 (I think) are available from the Sony store. So are the Hardy Boys that were orginally hbacks.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #42
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow(a blacksmith in Virginia), Beverly Connor's Diane Fallon (Forensic Anthropologist & Director of Natural History Museum in Georgia) and Lindsay Chamberlain (Forensic Archeologist in Georgia), D.R. Meredith's Megan Clark (Librarian & forensic anthropologist in Texas) and Laura Childs' Theo Browning (Tea shop owner in Charlston, SC).
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #43
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
I'm fond of dear old Brother Cadfael (by Ellis Peters). Also Marcus Didius Falco (Lindsey Davis' Roman investigator), and Stephanie Barron's vision of Jane Austen as an amateur detective. And of course Dirk Gentley (by Douglas Adams).
Thank you Shayne Parkinson. I already have Brother Cadfael and I'll be adding Marcus Didius to my wishlist.

I can only add Decius Caecilius Metellus from the SPQR series, another ancient Roman investigator, to this thread.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #44
bilalamjad3
bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
crime comic is my best salacious.
bilalamjad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
Thistle
Thistle began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Smile Sleuths....

My contributions are the Inspector Alleyn mysteries (Ngaio Marsh), Ellis Peters' Inspector Felse (as an alternative to her Brother Cadfael) and the excellent Dalziel and Pascoe by Reginald Hill. Oh, and DCI Barnaby's Midsomer books by Caroline Graham.

All very readable!!
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote