Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
remove pdf margins

Many pdf files come for the printing, thus usually some large margins. But to read on Cybook you don't want margin, or do you? For me I just want as much space to display the text as possible.

I found one tool under linux. Very simple:

PDFCROP 1.5, 2004/06/24 - Copyright (c) 2002, 2004 by Heiko Oberdiek.
Syntax: pdfcrop [options] <input[.pdf]> [output file]
Function: Margins are calculated and removed for each page in the file.
Options: (defaults)
--help print usage
--(no)verbose verbose printing (false)
--(no)debug debug informations (false)
--gscmd <name> call of ghostscript (gs)
--pdftexcmd <name> call of pdfTeX (pdftex)
--margins "<left> <top> <right> <bottom>" (0 0 0 0)
add extra margins, unit is bp. If only one number is
given, then it is used for all margins, in the case
of two numbers they are also used for right and bottom.
--(no)clip clipping support, if margins are set (false)
--(no)hires using `%%HiResBoundingBox' (false)
instead of `%%BoundingBox'
--papersize <foo> parameter for gs's -sPAPERSIZE=<foo>,
use only with older gs versions <7.32 ()
Examples:
pdfcrop --margins 10 input.pdf output.pdf
pdfcrop --margins '5 10 5 20' --clip input.pdf output.pdf

For me it comes with tetex. I think it is also in TexLive or similar. This program will call ghostscript to do the formating. It works but very very slow. So be patient.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Hanselda
Enthusiast

And I found another program to crop the pdf:

http://pdfcrop.sourceforge.net/

This one is more complicated.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you feel like fiddling, you can:

a) uncompress the pdf with pdftk:
pdftk in.pdf output out.pdf uncompress

b) open the out.pdf with a text editor and modify the /MediaBox lines, this is the size of each page's "viewport", in points (1in=72pt, 1cm=28.3465pt).

c) compress again with pdftk:
pdftk out.pdf output final.pdf compress
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er
frikk began at the beginning.

Device: sony rs-505
pdfcrop works beautifully. i think it comes with calibre, too.

pdfcrop --margins 5 crops all my research papers down to a nice size. its quick for me, at least.

what other tips do you guys have for pdfs? My text is a *little bit* grainy on the reader... any suggestions?
frikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
I'm using PDFill PDF Tools
It's fast and allows a lot of things to be done with the PDFs (split, rotate, extraxct images, etc).
What I like best is that I can set a way to crop all the pages and then change the margins for single pages before executing (to for ex. keep the coverpage uncropped)

PS: It does come together with the PDF-Editor (shareware) and as far as I know it cannot be installed/used without it - but there is no need to run or even buy the editor, the tools are free and can be used without limitations.

Last edited by Pulp; 04-20-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er

Is there any way to force cropping? My one pdf i have has a watermark in the bottom left corner, but the entire book is only in the middle third. Very annoying - and pdfcrop auto detects and doesnt crop the sides. any ideas?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Hanselda
Enthusiast

If you can use Python, I think the best tool is the pyPdf, it is very very fast at manipulating the pdf files. It does not need to convert pdf into ps and back again. There are several scripts using this package on this forum. just search that.

http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
If you can use Python, I think the best tool is the pyPdf, it is very very fast at manipulating the pdf files. It does not need to convert pdf into ps and back again. There are several scripts using this package on this forum. just search that.

http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/
I love this forum. I'm a fellow python hacker myself, and i am continuously amazed at the intersection between book lovers and slick programmers that this forum harbors. I'll give pyPdf a try. Thanks!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
triwy
triwy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hello, I am swimming in a ocean of indecision: I really would like to buy the Cybook but I am scared that the PDF that I want to download there will be not easy to read (may be the print is too small, etc...), also I ama scared it will take ages to download PDF to the Cybook, can somebody let me know if all my fears are real?!
Thanks a lot....
triwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Yes and no.

“Downloading speed”: the Cybook appears to a computer as a usb drive and the time it takes to put a file in it is the same as moving a file of the same size to a usb 2.0 pen drive.

PDF in the Cybook is cumbersome, some love it some detest it.
It has several zoom option but does not have reflow of text PDF files as the Sony does.
We are waiting for the new version of the firmware to have it… but just when it comes we will see how good it is. Anyway, it should be something like what the Sony does now.

I have both, the Cybook and the 505 and I keep on using mainly the Cybook, and just use the 505 to read some more difficult business or university pdf documents.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It seems that the ePub/Welbilt version of the Cybook have an (hidden?) auto margin crop option for PDF
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
what other tips do you guys have for pdfs? My text is a *little bit* grainy on the reader... any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
Is there any way to force cropping? My one pdf i have has a watermark in the bottom left corner, but the entire book is only in the middle third. Very annoying - and pdfcrop auto detects and doesnt crop the sides. any ideas?
Maybe the individual pages are just images?! As you said they're "grainy", pages are just partly filled with text but cropping doesn't works (and reflow wouldn't do either)...

Sounds like scanned pages put together as PDF without any OCR. Is the PDF a big one (say 10MB+ instead of 1)? Especially with lots of tables, Illustrations and formulas OCR is nearly impossible and/or using the whole page as an image is way easier (I have some IT and RPG books like that).

If this is the case you need to save each individual page as an image and crop this before remaking the PDF (or using them as images). This free PDF viewer has very good features for PDF> IMG conversion: CLICK

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
The PDFTools I mentioned also work with Image-PDFs, you should give them a try!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote