Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #586
MCBastos
Enthusiast
MCBastos began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A71
Exclamation Text parsing bug

OK, I just noticed an odd bug with the way Generate Cover processes the data fields:
If there's an "&" character, it treats it as if it were " & " -- that is, it inserts spaces before and after the "&" character.
Which results in ugly extra spaces whenever it runs into an "&" -- like, say, for a book with two authors.
Partial workaround: manually edit the text in the "content" tab so "&" is not surrounded by spaces -- that reduces the double space to single spaces. AFAIK, however, there is no way to have the "&" surrounded by no spaces at all.

EDIT: Further experimenting revealed a few more details -- on initial load of the plugin, it performs as expected (no extra spaces). But if you change any of a variety of parameters (font size, which fields should appear on the cover etc.) then the extra spaces suddenly appear.

Last edited by MCBastos; 07-19-2016 at 10:35 PM.
MCBastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #587
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
I coincidentally had a cover with '&' this morning and paid attention. It should be noted that my '&' was in the title and no extra spaces appeared. I modified my author to have '&' and the extra spaces did indeed appear when I removed my custom text as a test.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #588
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Is the stroke option back?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #589
redorav
redorav began at the beginning.

Powerpoint Cover

Hi,

I was wondering if this plugin has the ability to generate covers from powerpoint files?

I'm building a library of technical presentations and many of them are in ppt or pptx.

What I do currently is convert to pdf and extract from there but it is quite cumbersome.

I'd like to automatically generate it from the calibre dropdown.

Thanks!
redorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #590
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redorav View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if this plugin has the ability to generate covers from powerpoint files?

I'm building a library of technical presentations and many of them are in ppt or pptx.

What I do currently is convert to pdf and extract from there but it is quite cumbersome.

I'd like to automatically generate it from the calibre dropdown.

Thanks!
The short answer is no - i.e. the plugin can't generate covers from a Powerpoint file, in fact the plugin can't generate covers from anything. 'Generate Covers' is a bit of a misnomer - its more like a 'Cover Creator'.

This may be easier than creating a PDF ==>> [PDF] Export PowerPoint slides as JPEG - Clark University

Just drop the resultant JPG into the Book Details (right) sidebar.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #591
MCBastos
Enthusiast

OK, status of 1.5.20

From what I was able to notice/test:

- Font strokes are not back yet (if they ever will)
- The "&" parsing bug seems to have been fixed -- I wasn't able to reproduce it anymore
- The "blank lines" bug still remains
- The "can't remove image if it's set to be stretched as background" remains (but this is really unimportant, since it doesn't actually affect the ability to create covers)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #592
redorav
redorav began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The short answer is no - i.e. the plugin can't generate covers from a Powerpoint file, in fact the plugin can't generate covers from anything. 'Generate Covers' is a bit of a misnomer - its more like a 'Cover Creator'.

This may be easier than creating a PDF ==>> [PDF] Export PowerPoint slides as JPEG - Clark University

Just drop the resultant JPG into the Book Details (right) sidebar.

BR
Thanks for the suggestion, it's every bit as cumbersome though... I guess I need to ask the main dev then.

Thank you!
redorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #593
MCBastos
Enthusiast

Is there anywhere I can download an old version (that is, one compatible with Calibre 2.56) of Generate Cover?
I'm using the current versions in my day-to-day process, but I thought that, disk space being ridiculously cheap the way it is, I could keep an old version of Calibre Portable with the old version of the plugin for the odd occasion I really want fonts with outlines.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:04 AM   #594
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, usually plugin developers only post the latest version of the plugin.

Some plugin developers use a version control system to track the changes in their plugin, from which you can derive old versions... but this plugin doesn't appear to be on e.g. GitHub...

Perhaps someone has an old copy saved somewhere.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #595
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can copy the plugin file from a OLD Backup of of the Calibre config folder:plugins;

Use Preference:Plugins: Add from file button (at bottom) to install it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #596
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can copy the plugin file from a OLD Backup of of the Calibre config folderlugins;

Use Preference:Plugins: Add from file button (at bottom) to install it
An awful lot of people don't even backup their libraries, even fewer backup their configuration folder, and I doubt many of those would do version backups. I know I don't, I keep the old ones for 60 days, after which they're automatically purged.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #597
scarlettruin
Connoisseur
scarlettruin began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung 10 Inch Tablet 2016 & Samsung S10+
Problem - every time i try to use this plugin, I get the following error: calibre, version 2.46.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:generate_cover_for_book() got an unexpected keyword argument 'db'

calibre 2.46 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Goodreads && View Manager && Quality Check && Open With && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata && Derive_Genres && Save To Format && Extract ISBN && Goodreads Sync && DOC Input && Author Book Count && Count Pages && Generate Cover && EpubMerge && User Category && FanFicFare
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.action", line 65, in _generate_cover
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1377, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1669, in display_preview
TypeError: generate_cover_for_book() got an unexpected keyword argument 'db'

Anyone know what to do please?
scarlettruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #598
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettruin View Post
Problem - every time i try to use this plugin, I get the following error: calibre, version 2.46.0

Anyone know what to do please?
I'd start with updating Calibre. Current is 2.67--you're 21 versions behind.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #599
scarlettruin
Connoisseur
scarlettruin began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung 10 Inch Tablet 2016 & Samsung S10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I'd start with updating Calibre. Current is 2.67--you're 21 versions behind.

Ooops! That would help, wouldn't it!
Thanks for pointing it out!
scarlettruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #600
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
Hey, just wanted to say how much I greatly appreciate your continued development of this plug-in. I take my covers (probably a bit too) seriously and I looooove it's existence.

Not sure if you're interested in any feature requests and not sure if this is possible, but if so -- I'd find it very useful to add the ability to select multiple images at once in order to do a mass delete. Or, alternatively, for the highlight/selected item to stay in about the same place when an image is deleted (rather than move to the topmost image).

I often find myself needing to batch delete as my tagging system evolves and this would be helpful in that.

Regardless, thanks so much for creating and maintaining this excellent tool.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote