Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
ianlo
ianlo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Help! Blurring of first and last lines when in landscape mode

Hi everyone,

I noticed that when viewing my ebooks (PDF, EPUB) in landscape mode, the last line of the landscape page is blurred.

It seems that if the "cut" is made near a line in the middle of a page, it is blurred. If the "cut" is made at the end of the page (2nd page of the landscape mode) there is no blurring.

Is this normal? or is there a problem with my set.

thanks!
Ian
ianlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you're in landscape mode, the Reader displays the page in two halves, first the top half and then the bottom half. The lighter-coloured region of the screen indicates the area of overlap (if any) between the two page halves.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
ianlo

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the explaination! I am so relieved that it's not a problem with my reader!

Many happy readings to you!

Ian
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
JayBoy
JayBoy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thanks Harry!

I've noticed this too and thought first it might a problem with the screen, but because those regions of the screen showed text correctly in portrait orientation I figured it was a bug in the firmware.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

Jason
JayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you're in landscape mode, the Reader displays the page in two halves, first the top half and then the bottom half. The lighter-coloured region of the screen indicates the area of overlap (if any) between the two page halves.
This is very annoying if trying to read in landscape mode. The first few lines after page turn are often the last few lines from the previous page, just a bit faded out. I was demonstrating to a friend who needs to read large font books because of his eyesite and how the PRS700 would be of benefit to him and how he could download any available books from the local library and just up the font. It didn't look pretty like I had imagined, it was actually embarassing.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
It didn't look pretty like I had imagined, it was actually embarassing.
Why is it embarrassing? The reader is keeping you from having to locate the next line to read on the second half of the page. I think it is a good idea for it to do this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
ianlo

To be honest, I think Sony could have done it a bit better and put a marker or annotation at the side to indicate that this line is the overlap line.

Having to blur the line makes it quite visually distracting especially when you are reading.

I hope this gets fixed in the next ROM update .. if any

just my 2 cents!

Ian
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmmm, it only blurs the lines you have already Read. i think this is the best way to do this actually.

a dotted line on the page would be a whole lot more distracting than a faded sentence. and a marker on the side would be easy to miss and make you read the line twice.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
hmmm, it only blurs the lines you have already Read. i think this is the best way to do this actually.

a dotted line on the page would be a whole lot more distracting than a faded sentence. and a marker on the side would be easy to miss and make you read the line twice.
I think it seems to be a good functionality. I tried to read a pdf on the Cybook and it does not show at all were you should continue to read so it was very slow reading since it was so hard to find the place.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree. It's a good way to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote