Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
The Jules Verne Extraordinary Adventures Series.

Hi-

I have been reading some of these stories from time to time so I decided to focus on reading the entire series in order of French publication. So I am going back and starting at the beginning of list and I am on The Adventures of Captain Hatteras. I am half way through so no spoilers.....

But my question to my fellow readers is this:

Has anyone who has read these stories ever noticed significant changes between different French -> English translations? I have read that sometimes the translators would alter things. I do recall reading that someone read abridged versions of some novels that were different but that is something different all together.

Any proof would be interesting to note.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly. If you want see it for yourself, take a look at two books I uploaded to the MR library:

A Journey to the Interior of the Earth

and:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

From my description of the latter:

This is the "translation" of the 1864 Verne classic published in England by Griffith and Farran in 1871, and is still the book you'll more than likely get if you go into a book shop today and buy an English-language version of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".

It's a good story, no doubt about it, but unfortunately it's not the story that Verne wrote. It's a complete re-write, reasonably closely following the plot of the Verne original, but all the details are different. In the original, the scientist who makes the journey into the Earth is "Professor Liedenbrock" and his nephew--the book's narrator--is called "Axel". In this version the scientist has become "Professor von Hardwigg" and his nephew is now English and called "Harry", presumably for the benefit of the book's English audience. In the original, we are shown the details of how the Professor and Axel solve the cypher document which leads to the journey; in this version we simply have:

the Professor began reading the puzzling cryptograph all sorts of ways, according to some theory of his own. Presently, rousing my wandering attention, he dictated one precious attempt to me....

... which turns out to be the solution to it.

The original is better, I think, in all sorts of ways, but this version is interesting to have to see just how much a book can be changed by a process of so-called "translation".

If you want to read a real translation of the Verne original, download the book called "A Journey to the Interior of the Earth"; this is an accurate translation of the French original, with an accurately translated title.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There's a good essay on the English translations of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_...h_translations .

I read a derivitive of the horrid Lewis Pager Mercier translation (read: bowlderization) when I was in grade school. I recently read the excellent annotated version edited by Walter James Miller. I've also read portions of the excellent modern translation by F.P.Walter which is derived from the work he did with Miller on the annotated print version and which he released as Public Domain.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll find my ebook version of Walter's translation here.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly. If you want see it for yourself, take a look at two books I uploaded to the MR library:

A Voyage to the Interior of the Earth

and:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

From my description of the latter:

This is the "translation" of the 1864 Verne classic published in England by Griffith and Farran in 1871, and is still the book you'll more than likely get if you go into a book shop today and buy an English-language version of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".

It's a good story, no doubt about it, but unfortunately it's not the story that Verne wrote. It's a complete re-write, reasonably closely following the plot of the Verne original, but all the details are different. In the original, the scientist who makes the journey into the Earth is "Professor Liedenbrock" and his nephew--the book's narrator--is called "Axel". In this version the scientist has become "Professor von Hardwigg" and his nephew is now English and called "Harry", presumably for the benefit of the book's English audience. In the original, we are shown the details of how the Professor and Axel solve the cypher document which leads to the journey; in this version we simply have:

the Professor began reading the puzzling cryptograph all sorts of ways, according to some theory of his own. Presently, rousing my wandering attention, he dictated one precious attempt to me....

... which turns out to be the solution to it.

The original is better, I think, in all sorts of ways, but this version is interesting to have to see just how much a book can be changed by a process of so-called "translation".

If you want to read a real translation of the Verne original, download the book called "A Journey to the Interior of the Earth"; this is an accurate translation of the French original, with an accurately translated title.
Thank you Harry. I have always wanted to read an accurate version of this book.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's been there for years .
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I do remember something of a thread about the topic. It's actually "20,000 leagues under the seas" for example not "20,000 leagues under the sea."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
It's been there for years .
I had forgotten about Jules Vern until it popped up in this thread.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the feed back so now I know that not all versions are the same.

My next one will be "From the Earth to the Moon". Wikipedia lists several translation. Any suggestions? I should be ready to start next week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon
Old 08-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Try my version here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73942
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I purchased the Delphi Classic series on Verne, which includes (I would imagine) public domain translations of dubious quality. It's a huge collection, by the way.

I'm still glad I bought it for 40% off of $2.99

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you but one question: Is this epub illustrated? My ebook reader has problems with some illustrations.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes. It contains equations, which have to be represented as graphics (you can't sensibly do equations in ASCII ). Just try it and see. It's not as if it's going to cost you anything. As the description says, the equations are in Ch. 4 of "Around the Moon".

Last edited by HarryT; 08-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Harry, you've done some amazing amounts of work, fixing up so many books for all of us. I just want to say 'thanks!'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Okay I shall later this week. I just know not to bother with EPUBs which have the original full page illustrations in books as reading with Libre Pro makes it slow and difficult. It will not be bad if it is a few illustrations but some are just so difficult it is not worth it.

Lately I have gone old school and have been looking at books from archive.org with original illustrations on my lap top. That is how I have been enjoying Osgood translation of The Adventures of Captain Hatteras. It is quite enjoyable with these illustrations, though I picture the Captain as Basil Rathbone and his doctor friend is Nigel Bruce in my mind!

I know many people find Verne's novels dated but I truly enjoy them, hence the reason to read the entire series. I always read them thinking how amazing they must have been to people who had them at the time they were originally published.