Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #22471
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My father finally bought the last parts needed to install the new faucet in the utility room (where I wash my face, do make up, brush teeth, etc) only to find out that the person who installed the sink, either my grandfather or great grandfather, used two different sized connector thingies for hot and cold water. We checked the size of the cold water connector before getting the parts, that's the normal size for water. Apparently they didn't have two of those and used one that's meant for gas for warm water.

Sigh.

Today I have to get a converter and hopefully my father has time to hook it all up so I have a non-leaking, nice and high faucet to use.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #22472
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
In December, I was planning on going to London or more likely to Salisbury to attend an Asia show (Asia, the UK band). When I was just about to book everything, I learned that the last leg of the tour had been canceled due to Carl Palmer suffering from E.coli. Luckily, he's fine now.
BUT since then Steve Howe has left the band. Again
I was so close to be able to see the four original members on stage
I mean, we're talking Yes, King Crimson and Emerson Lake & Palmer here

Only Time Will Tell - live
Though I haven't followed ASIA in years, I share your pain.

[RANT] How many line-up changes can a band have and still be allowed to have the same name?!!??! Look at the chart below for ASIA: Twenty-two members, four slots. The most consistant member was Geoffrey Downes, and even he took a year off.... [/RANT]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ee8e344c818ef4a0411d1dc9c3099c0.png
Views:	1160
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	104838  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #22473
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd love to see the original lineup (with Steve Howe) myself, although I always thought Asia was a bit overly commercial. The short song format and dependence on the hook doesn't really show any of these fine musicians in their best light, but after having served in such powerhouse bands as Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer; perhaps they felt the time had come to make some serious money with their talent. Never will I forget seeing Emerson, Lake, and Palmer playing to a partially filled auditorium on the same weekend that KC and the Sunshine Band sold out the auditorium across the river playing by playing all three of their chords (including their recently incorporated at the time F major triad) to a bunch of brain-dead kids who wouldn't know music if it bit 'em in the backside.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #22474
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
[RANT] How many line-up changes can a band have and still be allowed to have the same name?!!??! Look at the chart below for ASIA: Twenty-two members, four slots. The most consistant member was Geoffrey Downes, and even he took a year off.... [/RANT]
Yeah, they can't seem to know how to stick together

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Never will I forget seeing Emerson, Lake, and Palmer playing to a partially filled auditorium on the same weekend that KC and the Sunshine Band sold out the auditorium across the river playing by playing all three of their chords (including their recently incorporated at the time F major triad) to a bunch of brain-dead kids who wouldn't know music if it bit 'em in the backside.

I agree on the commercial side, although progressive isn't for everyone. King Crimson for instance is making music quite opposite to mainstream.
And even when one likes progressive rock, changing once in a while is refreshing.

Songs like The Smile has Left your Eyes are just

Edit: By the way, I'm impressed by this Sam Coulson guy, the one covering for Steve Howe. He wasn't even born when the band was at its peak, but he sure can play the guitar!

Last edited by samhy; 04-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #22475
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
... [RANT] How many line-up changes can a band have and still be allowed to have the same name?!!??!... [/RANT]
Quote:
... [RANT] How many line-up changes can a band have and still be allowed to have the same name?!!??!... [/RANT]
My baby brother has been a professional musician for his entire life, when he was a teenager he started a band called “The White Sidewalls” (Swanee is the one on the left) that specialized in ‘50s rock and roll. His band became quite successful in the Eastern Minnesota/Western Wisconsin area. After 20 or so years, he lost the rights to the name to a promoter that he had hired and started another band which was also successful, but not as successful as The White Sidewalls.

After about 20 years of legal wrangling, he regained rights to the name and morphed his “The Original Knights of Rock and Roll” back into The White Sidewalls, even using some of the original musicians.

So to answer your question, a band can have the same name even if it’s not the same band!

Last edited by wodin; 04-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #22476
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I keep telling myself I'm not allowed to buy any ebooks at the moment, until I've brought down the number of books on my TBR list. However, Amazon keeps offering books on my wishlist either as a Kindle daily deal or even for free. In the last month or so I had one of my wishlist books show up as a daily deal and three others were offered for free.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #22477
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I keep telling myself I'm not allowed to buy any ebooks at the moment, until I've brought down the number of books on my TBR list. However, Amazon keeps offering books on my wishlist either as a Kindle daily deal or even for free. In the last month or so I had one of my wishlist books show up as a daily deal and three others were offered for free.
Free don't count. Get them if they're books you want to read.

If the daily deal is a good discount (75%+), and it's a book you had on your wish list, and your budget allows, get it. You're unlikely to see it cheaper in the next couple of years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #22478
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Argh!!!! I want to strangle one of my son's college professors. My son graduates from college next month. He has the opportunity to go for a week long interview process in Alaska for some oil companies (they are bringing in 8-10 interviewees for several positions), but the interviews are during finals week. Ok, no problem, he thought, I'll ask if I can take my finals early. The first one he asked surely had no problem with it and wished him all the luck in the world. One professor said she doesn't have the test finished yet so, no. Not much of a problem, he doesn't have to take that final to pass.
One instructor, however, point-blank refused. He doesn't care that the job market is slim, and my son has nothing else working right now, or that this is a great opportunity in his field (the same field the instructor is in, computers).
The company cannot work with my son and bring him up at a different time because it would be too expensive and not fair to the other interviewees. So my son graduates in three weeks and has no job prospects. Stupid, stupid, professor ******** (I couldn't think of a bad enough expletive).
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #22479
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Sorry to hear that mrscoach
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #22480
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
That's just downright stupid - why on earth would anybody be so inflexible in those circumstances?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #22481
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Argh!!!! I want to strangle one of my son's college professors. My son graduates from college next month. He has the opportunity to go for a week long interview process in Alaska for some oil companies (they are bringing in 8-10 interviewees for several positions), but the interviews are during finals week. Ok, no problem, he thought, I'll ask if I can take my finals early. The first one he asked surely had no problem with it and wished him all the luck in the world. One professor said she doesn't have the test finished yet so, no. Not much of a problem, he doesn't have to take that final to pass.
One instructor, however, point-blank refused. He doesn't care that the job market is slim, and my son has nothing else working right now, or that this is a great opportunity in his field (the same field the instructor is in, computers).
The company cannot work with my son and bring him up at a different time because it would be too expensive and not fair to the other interviewees. So my son graduates in three weeks and has no job prospects. Stupid, stupid, professor ******** (I couldn't think of a bad enough expletive).
Not sure if this is a dumb question but, is there any one else that can overrule the professor in this circumstance? This is really serious as far as I'm concerned. The professor is basically costing your son a job for no good reason other than arrogance.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #22482
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Not sure if this is a dumb question but, is there any one else that can overrule the professor in this circumstance? This is really serious as far as I'm concerned. The professor is basically costing your son a job for no good reason other than arrogance.
Yes, the dean could intervene. I'd advise him to take an incomplete, go to the interview and come back and make it up. That's some serious B.S.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #22483
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Yes, the dean could intervene. I'd advise him to take an incomplete, go to the interview and come back and make it up. That's some serious B.S.
Have him go to the Dean of the department.

mrscoach, I wish your son the best of luck.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #22484
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Ok, got more information. I thought it was a computer class, but it was actually a math class. Also, the reason he couldn't take the test early was because he couldn't pass it, because they haven't covered the material yet. I know it sounds like a made up excuse, but all they have learned has been building up to the last few final lessons. Math builds on itself, and the test is mostly over the final material, since it will incorporate the material learned previously. The professor wasn't just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. They actually feel bad for him, or so they said. He was just so upset when he spoke to them yesterday that he didn't understand all the facts.

We aren't any happier about the situation, but it is too late to do anything about it now. He had to let the company know today if he could work something out. We have faith that something else, maybe closer to us, will come along. I am resolved that he will live a long way from us, but over 3,000 miles was stretching it. (Now watch, he will get something in Japan or somewhere like that)
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #22485
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Only way to drop a post is to flag it for the moderators (the blue ! mark in the top corner) and ask them to drop it.
Thanks. I'm glad it wasn't blindingly obvious.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness