Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #61
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Ideally, we wouldn't have to worry about it. But, this thread came about because of a discussion between a few of us and the realization, that collecting the information could be useful. From memory, the starting point wasn't about Kobo problems, but about calibre problems.
I guess I kinda hijacked the thread. My bad.

Since people were giving up information, I also wanted to see if there was maybe some other factor that would cause the update to not load properly, like having wifi on or off...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #62
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
So I have an E at the end, how fun. The rest looks the same. So the E is so far the only difference I have with Murg's device... Is B giving problems?
I was trying to figure out if there was a meaning behind the letter. If everyone had wildly different letters, then it would probably have been a check digit.

Since we have well ordered letters (A-E), then the letter is either a regional designator, a firmware variant designator or a hardware variant designator.

Or it can just be an incrementing letter to allow for more serial numbers...

Quote:
(Why are we doing the serial number obscuring?)
I'm an old school computer security paranoid type person. Try not to let personally identifiable info out there into the world. I really don't care what people's serial number are beyond trying to figure out the format.

The difference between my serial number and another of the Australian serial numbers is approx 95,000, which may mean that there were at least 100,000 Touchs sold in the Australian region. Or, in other circumstances (last number is a check digit), there is only a 9,500 difference.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #63
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I guess I kinda hijacked the thread. My bad.

Since people were giving up information, I also wanted to see if there was maybe some other factor that would cause the update to not load properly, like having wifi on or off...
Not at all - it is great that you have added some extra expertise. No hijacking even considered.

Regarding the serial number, mapline posted on the Kobo Touch Firmware thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1195) that the first five digits are the circuit-board revision, so that is really all we need from the first number at the moment.

Now, I have finally got KT, computer, cable and a bit of time coinciding, so my version file is:

N905B21300675,2.6.35.3,2.1.1,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,000 00000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #64
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
So I have an E at the end, how fun. The rest looks the same. So the E is so far the only difference I have with Murg's device... Is B giving problems?
Well, mine is B, and I've had no problems so far. Hmmm ....
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #65
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I'm a B and I have problems with the Japan releases...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #66
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Mm yes, but you have a different revision number to mine/Murg's (110 and I have 326 if I recall correctly).

Quote:
And we have the same numbers all over the place except for that B...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #67
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
That's why I "hmmm"ed. I'm just putting together a database that I'll make available later.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #68
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[The serial number obscuring:]
I'm an old school computer security paranoid type person. Try not to let personally identifiable info out there into the world. I really don't care what people's serial number are beyond trying to figure out the format.
Fair enough
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The work-day must be about over, so you can get down to some lovely reading (if you stay off MR!)
By the time of your post I was out the door to catch the train. 75 minutes of uninterrupted reading with the iPod going (Desmond Bagley's "Wyatt's Hurricane" and Leonard Cohen Live).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #70
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By the time of your post I was out the door to catch the train. 75 minutes of uninterrupted reading with the iPod going (Desmond Bagley's "Wyatt's Hurricane" and Leonard Cohen Live).
Very nice! the long train journey is something I'll be getting used to in a few months time (my job will be about 400 miles from my wife's!), so my reading stats should improve, what with the journey and the stays in hotel rooms!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #71
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I'm not sure I was correct. Having put the database together I have the same format of serial number as WS64, so I don't know if the B is the same as the A,B,C,E seen in other numbers.

Please find v0.0.1 of the database attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kobo Touch information v0.0.1.zip (11.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #72
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not sure I was correct. Having put the database together I have the same format of serial number as WS64, so I don't know if the B is the same as the A,B,C,E seen in other numbers.
Indeed, your B in N905B21300675 looks like my B in KG31B1500609E...

Quote:
Please find v0.0.1 of the database attached.
Heehee version 0.0.1

Great work though!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #73
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:

Heehee version 0.0.1

Great work though!
Awwww, shucks!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #74
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
In case you are still interested, here are my answers:
a) ID: 4163\N905C Rev:110
b) Bought in New York, using in Hungary
c-d) updated at least once via desktop, wifi and manual-usb too, the updates were always successful in all method, however the well-known bugs appeared (slow page turn, wrong cover, font issues etc.)
e) 1.9.14

My Kobo is ad-supported, but as long as it's not syncronised via destop or wifi, it behaves as a "regular" device.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #75
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
In case you are still interested, here are my answers:
a) ID: 4163\N905C Rev:110
b) Bought in New York, using in Hungary
c-d) updated at least once via desktop, wifi and manual-usb too, the updates were always successful in all method, however the well-known bugs appeared (slow page turn, wrong cover, font issues etc.)
e) 1.9.14

My Kobo is ad-supported, but as long as it's not syncronised via destop or wifi, it behaves as a "regular" device.
Thank you, clsdclsd! Yes, the information is still useful. Just for clarification, is the N905C the first part of the serial number?