Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #46
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
a) your device ID = 0x4163 and version number = 1:10

b) country you bought the Touch in = UK
and where you did the update(s) = UK

c) update by wifi

d) I have not noticed anything strange

it originally came with 1.19.17

Good luck with the analysis
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
David: It is interesting that your firmware number shows as 1.9.11, when everyone else so far has shown the current firmware number (murg: 2.0.0; WS64: 2.1.1; lesley_ms: 2.0.0; Mrs_Often: 2.1.1). From what you've written previously, you should be showing 2.0.2 if the pattern holds.
Well, I did say it was my "factory reset version file". So, 1.9.11 is correct.

As to 2.0.2, I don't think it ever showed as a version. I am fairly sure that after installing it, the Touches have always still show 2.0.0.

The file currently shows the version number that is appropriate for the installed firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unless murg and/or davidfor have spotted something else ...
The list of device ids is useful.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #49
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Picking one of the posts in this thread at random:
Quote:
a) PID 4163 REV 0110
b) Germany
c) Came with 1.9.12, up to 1.9.17 via desktop, manually down to 1.9.16, up to 2.0 via desktop, manually to 2.01 and 2.11, no problems with any of the updates
d) just the usual problems, right now (2.11) nothing worth mentioning except the screensaver bug. On 1.9.17 missing top border, on 1.9.16/17 sometimes unresponsible until turned off, pretty slow with everything. On 2.0 slow page turns and screen saver bug
I wonder why the Kobo user community should really, seriously have to be dealing with this kind of inside-the-gadget for something that costs maybe $150. Did people do this with the first batch of, say, HP financial and scientific calculators? Must an ereader be so complex?

Just asking, late on a Sunday on the Pacific coast. My 10-year-old refrigerator is melting everything, so maybe I have doubts about 21st century tech.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
I wonder why the Kobo user community should really, seriously have to be dealing with this kind of inside-the-gadget for something that costs maybe $150.
Nope, we don't have to at all. We're just curious and like to help...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wonder why the Kobo user community should really, seriously have to be dealing with this kind of inside-the-gadget for something that costs maybe $150. Did people do this with the first batch of, say, HP financial and scientific calculators? Must an ereader be so complex?
Ideally, we wouldn't have to worry about it. But, this thread came about because of a discussion between a few of us and the realization, that collecting the information could be useful. From memory, the starting point wasn't about Kobo problems, but about calibre problems.

And did people do this in the early tech day? I'm sure they did. Get any group of geeks with new toys together and they are going to pull them apart to see how they work. And I now have an image of cave men comparing the shapes of the rocks for various uses.

Quote:
Just asking, late on a Sunday on the Pacific coast. My 10-year-old refrigerator is melting everything, so maybe I have doubts about 21st century tech.
I understand completely. When I get frustrated with computers, I always suggest we go back to a quill and a bottle of ink. And if you saw my handwriting, you would know how drastic a solution that is.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #52
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Get any group of geeks with new toys together and they are going to pull them apart to see how they work.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #53
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Well, I did say it was my "factory reset version file". So, 1.9.11 is correct.
Apologies - I misunderstood your post . So few people are willing to do a factory reset that I wasn't expecting that! I thought your KT was exhibiting identifiably different behaviour ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #54
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
The list of device ids is useful.
I think there is something here - I'd like to carry on, but I wanted to make sure others do. As posts below make clear, for some of us, there is never too much to be known about our toys!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Apologies - I misunderstood your post . So few people are willing to do a factory reset that I wasn't expecting that! I thought your KT was exhibiting identifiably different behaviour ...
I don't think "willing" is the right word. "Panicking" describes the state of mind the first time I needed to do it. "Resigned" gets a bit closer to my current state of mind about it.

I actually have it down now. I do it at work with a nice fast connection for the firmware download and I won't feel like I would be better reading on the device. Well, I might feel that way, but I make myself do some work instead.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #56
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
And I now have an image of cave men comparing the shapes of the rocks for various uses.
... just before they turn on the knapper responsible because it doesn't function well for washing hair!

Quote:
I understand completely. When I get frustrated with computers, I always suggest we go back to a quill and a bottle of ink. And if you saw my handwriting, you would know how drastic a solution that is.
I miss handwriting, but don't miss the comments about my particular version of it. I had a previous occupation which is notorious for bad handwriting (though not as bad as a related one), and I had to really concentrate if my colleagues were to stand any chance at all of reading my notes!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #57
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I don't think "willing" is the right word. "Panicking" describes the state of mind the first time I needed to do it. "Resigned" gets a bit closer to my current state of mind about it.

I actually have it down now. I do it at work with a nice fast connection for the firmware download and I won't feel like I would be better reading on the device. Well, I might feel that way, but I make myself do some work instead.
The work-day must be about over, so you can get down to some lovely reading (if you stay off MR!)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #58
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
a) your device ID = 0x4163 and version number = 1:10

b) country you bought the Touch in = UK
and where you did the update(s) = UK

c) update by wifi

d) I have not noticed anything strange

it originally came with 1.19.17

Good luck with the analysis
Thanks for that - its gone into the database!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #59
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
I don't think it was as much davidfor doing a factory reset just for this, but that he got into the habit of backing-up the Kobo disk to his computer, like I've done. I generally did this so I could restore the books and database once I got through trying to get a release to work (and reverting), and also so I could save the annotations.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #60
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Did people do this with the first batch of, say, HP financial and scientific calculators?
Something tells me that HP didn't quite have the problems that Kobo is having with quality control. Then again the old HP was known for incredibly high quality products, well worth the premium they charged.

And, unlike an eReader, everything inside of a calculator is deterministic.

Quote:
Must an ereader be so complex?
Yes. An interesting thing is that your little Touch has more computing power than Apollo 11's Lunar Lander did...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote