Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Stylus...

I emailed Wacom the other day thinking they might have a stylus for our Edges, and indeed they do. He said they will be on the site soon at 29.95 each

By the way, I picked up one of the 19 dollar ones on Amazon and it fits the slot fine on the PE, though the switch button (which it has) catches so be careful not to force it.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
dylan1235
dylan1235 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Anyone have any suggestions for a stylus under twenty bucks that will work with the pe.
I want a full size stylus.
I have big hands and bad penmanship which is even worse with this tiny tooth pick of a stylus.

Thanks for any suggestions.
dylan1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan1235 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for a stylus under twenty bucks that will work with the pe.
I want a full size stylus.
I have big hands and bad penmanship which is even worse with this tiny tooth pick of a stylus.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Unless you can find a Wacom pen enabled stylus on places like ebay you will be out of luck.

As has been said in other threads the Wacom stylus is not something simple - it has a reasonable amount of electronic components in it, hence the price.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some places sold replacements 3 for 10 bucks but all are out of stock. I google now and then to see if they ever come back into stock, though I doubt that very much.

With some work you might fit the normal one in one of the bigger stylus/pen/pencil rigs you can get at office supply places.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I'd like to add that all penabled pens do not work with the edge. If you could try it out first, figure out why all styli do not work with the edge and choose one that would work, or keep your reciept/make sure return shipping is nice/see if you can sell it on ebay if it does not work will help you out in the long run.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
exscentric
Addict

For those that want to google, the 19 dollar one on Amazon is MP-200-00AA. Just messed with it and it might be a tad more responsive than the original but can't really tell for sure. Found one on Ebay as well, but 18 plus 4 shipping.

Edit: The Wacom number for the one the wacom rep told me about is UP110

Last edited by exscentric; 08-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
If you've seen a pen labeled "Penabled" and it doesn't work with the EE/PE I'd like to know about it. As far as I've seen Penabled is Penabled is Penabled. The Penabled styli for the edge, the Iliad, the Motion Computing LE1700 tablet, and generic Wacom pens bought on Amazon are all interchangeable.

The Wacom graphics tablet pens (Graphire, Intuos, Bamboo, etc.) are not described as "Penabled". It's understood that they don't work with the Edge or any other Penabled devices.

Chances are any "replacement" stylus that goes for $3 to $10 is either not Penabled-compatible, or if it is Penabled the seller doesn't realize that it is worth more.
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_jennings View Post
The Penabled styli for the edge, the Iliad, the Motion Computing LE1700 tablet, and generic Wacom pens bought on Amazon are all interchangeable.
... and the Asus Eee Note stylus, too!

You can probably get a larger "stick" stylus for around $20, but if you want something that is more like a pen (not just a bigger stick), you'll probably pay closer to $30 - $35 and get something like the Motion Computing L-series stylus. It's a very nice stylus that is actually rounded like a pen.

Not sure I'd pay $20 just for a bigger stick, but I would pay $30ish for an actual pen-like stylus.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
TASHAGIPSON
TASHAGIPSON began at the beginning.

Device: edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
... and the Asus Eee Note stylus, too!

You can probably get a larger "stick" stylus for around $20, but if you want something that is more like a pen (not just a bigger stick), you'll probably pay closer to $30 - $35 and get something like the Motion Computing L-series stylus. It's a very nice stylus that is actually rounded like a pen.

Not sure I'd pay $20 just for a bigger stick, but I would pay $30ish for an actual pen-like stylus.
sarah,
can you describe your writing experience with the update and the fuller pen? I have been going back and forth about getting a fuller pen but I would have to pay 41 dollars and with my edge acting foolish with the browser crashing and youtube not working i don't know if it worth spending the money on the pen
if you don't mind posting a picture it would be really great
TASHAGIPSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
zuzulous
zuzulous began at the beginning.

Device: pocketeDGe
This may be a completely naive question, but couldn't you take the ink stick out of a cheap (or free) Bic-type pen and insert the stylus? Fill in the gap between the end of the stylus and the pen with something?
zuzulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzulous View Post
This may be a completely naive question, but couldn't you take the ink stick out of a cheap (or free) Bic-type pen and insert the stylus? Fill in the gap between the end of the stylus and the pen with something?
Capital idea zuzulous. the fat end may not fit through a bic pen (or maybe not I don't want to dismiss it) but I like the idea and will try to fit making prototypes into my schedule.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
romanlutsk
romanlutsk began at the beginning.

Device: PE
Comfortable stylus for Edge from HP TC1100 for $20

I just tried the stylus from HP1100 and it works beautifully - it's around 1/2 inch think, with rubber area on the bottom half for a better grip - you can get those for $20 on ebay.
romanlutsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
This may be a dumb question, but what is so special about these styli? I assume that they are not battery operated, so any electronic components would have to be passive - i.e. coils, resistors, capacitors...

Has anyone ever take one apart to see what makes them tick? I don't have a spare one or else I'd do it myself...
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what is so special about these styli? I assume that they are not battery operated, so any electronic components would have to be passive - i.e. coils, resistors, capacitors...

Has anyone ever take one apart to see what makes them tick? I don't have a spare one or else I'd do it myself...
If you spent a couple of minutes searching in this forum you would find pictures of the internals as well as the drawings from the patent.

Yes, it is a tuned inductive circuit.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
If you spent a couple of minutes searching in this forum you would find pictures of the internals as well as the drawings from the patent.

Yes, it is a tuned inductive circuit.
Wow... sorry I asked the question...

... but just for those of use who are so obviously "search challenged" could you give the best search query to use? "stylus" in the eDge forum comes up with 10 pages.

Last edited by rebeltaz; 10-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote