Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #61
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post

I think I understand what beppe is saying. The Road also recreates a very harsh world, but then there is that tender relationship from the father and his son. They are fighting to have a better life. There are brief reasons for hope. In Blood Meridian the characters themselves are the main reason the world is so brutal. They don't fight against their circumstances; they make everything worse. Even the kid doesn't seem to be different.

I have no doubt this guy is a great novelist, but I won’t be in any hurry to read any other of his books.
You understand it very well.

I found a similar effect of total negativeness and despair in the short Wyoming stories of E. Annie Proulx, with the famous BrokenMountain. The Shipping News, although knitted with the stories of born losers, has registers that are mostly sunny, and a happy ending
It is a good book that I reread several times. It is written with generosity of details and several characters are given full depth, with well crafted writing art. There are episodes and details, from far away "places", that activate the readers' imagination, through a mixture of strange facts and quasi dreams with the hard life of Newfoundlanders. Often the inhabitants of harsh places develop a sense of magic and arcane like a yeast to leaven their hardships, and somehow to be detached by the unavoidable material pains and sufferances. An antidote to despair and frustration. The novel catches this with humor and literary grace.

I find it very entertaining, at every reread.

Last edited by beppe; 05-19-2011 at 02:00 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #62
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I was pleasantly surprised to see others enjoying Jane Gardam's works - IMHO she's one of the finest "minimilast" writers today - how she can pack so much of an emotional punch into her spare unadorned prose just amazes me ... She deserves to be much more widely known & read in the US.

and speaking of unreliable narrators it was fascinating to compare the story lines in "Old Filth" with "The Man in the Wooden Hat" - what a difference a point of view makes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #63
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Often the inhabitants of harsh places develop a sense of magic and arcane like a yeast to leaven their hardships, and somehow to be detached by the unavoidable material pains and sufferances.
The Shipping News is a personal favorite as well, partly for the writing, partly for the reasons you mention – its drawing on local legend and tradition to create a sense of myth-in-the-making, with the harsh environment and unexpected situations acting as catalysts for positive change within the characters. Seemingly hopeless characters find hope in spite of themselves, usually because of inner resources they didn’t realize they had.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #64
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see others enjoying Jane Gardam's works - IMHO she's one of the finest "minimilast" writers today - how she can pack so much of an emotional punch into her spare unadorned prose just amazes me ... She deserves to be much more widely known & read in the US.

and speaking of unreliable narrators it was fascinating to compare the story lines in "Old Filth" with "The Man in the Wooden Hat" - what a difference a point of view makes.
eee by 'eck - a yorkshire lass ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #65
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I just finished The Savage Detectives on the train home, and all I can say is: read it! It's indescribable but definitely a great book. Though it took me some time to "get into it" because of all the different stories, people and viewpoints (I am easily confused and find it hard to keep track of characters, who's who and who did what), but that's what makes it a great book I think. All those different stories that somehow intersect and somehow make sense, but never completely. A true slice of life, with all the attendant frustration and mystery.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #66
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
[QUOTE=FlorenceArt;1545186]I just finished The Savage Detectives on the train home, and all I can say is: read it!/QUOTE]

Will definitely give it another go.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #67
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I really liked the character of Albert Ross (or "Loss" with his Chinese accent). Filth mentions that Betty loathed him, so that ought to be interesting, if explored.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #68
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I really liked the character of Albert Ross (or "Loss" with his Chinese accent). Filth mentions that Betty loathed him, so that ought to be interesting, if explored.
Yes! I'd love to see a third book from his point of view - observing the marriage!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #69
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I just finished The Savage Detectives on the train home, and all I can say is: read it! It's indescribable but definitely a great book. Though it took me some time to "get into it" because of all the different stories, people and viewpoints (I am easily confused and find it hard to keep track of characters, who's who and who did what), but that's what makes it a great book I think. All those different stories that somehow intersect and somehow make sense, but never completely. A true slice of life, with all the attendant frustration and mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Will definitely give it another go.
To be honest it wasn't until about halfway through the book that I started to really love it. Before that it was OK, but I was wondering what all the fuss was about. But your mileage may vary I'm sure.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #70
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
i wanna be a member of this
what should i do ?
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
i wanna be a member of this
what should i do ?
There is a one week initiation process. Strip to your skivies, take a picture, and make it your avatar.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #72
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There is a one week initiation process. Strip to your skivies, take a picture, and make it your avatar.
according to entry i am ready
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Go confirm Hamlet53's selection for November!

ETA: Seriously, since you asked, all are welcome; just jump in. Go to the Book Club subforum (link above) and youll find the threads relating to the literary book club. And while you're there, confirm the book for November.

Last edited by issybird; 10-27-2011 at 09:15 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #74
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Go confirm Hamlet53's selection for November!

ETA: Seriously, since you asked, all are welcome; just jump in. Go to the Book Club subforum (link above) and youll find the threads relating to the literary book club. And while you're there, confirm the book for November.
is it a general club, or you are reading just mystery and crime books
because
i am reading just mystery and crime books about ten years...
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #75
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...removed...

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 11-21-2011 at 10:34 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote