View Poll Results: What is your preferred justification
Left Justify 93 38.91%
Justified 120 50.21%
Don't care 26 10.88%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I find it interesting so many prefer full-justification over left-justify as the natural way to right, in our right-to-left conventions anyway, is left-justify. How many hand written or typed papers have you ever wrote that were full-justified?
But an eBook isn't hand-written, and full justification goes right back to the first days of movable type. How many commercially printed books do you have that are left-justified?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Ragged Right please ....

Interesting Harry most of the pbooks I have are 'ragged right' .

Also looking at my newspaper, it uses both full justification and ragged right. Of the two, the latter is far easier to read.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm really surprised to hear this - ragged right in p-books and the papers?!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Ragged Right please ....

Interesting Harry most of the pbooks I have are 'ragged right' .
I've just pulled a dozen books at random from my bookcase and all are fully justified. What kind of books are these that use left-justification? There are certainly some areas where you want it (eg poetry), but it seems (in my experience) to be rare for general fiction.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How would you describe the layout of the articles on the BBC website ?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just pulled a dozen books at random from my bookcase and all are fully justified.
Same here.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
But that's a news site, neither a p-book or a paper... Are we talking about different things?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
But that's a web site, not a book.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
But that's a news site, neither a p-book or a paper...
Okay, the newspaper is the Times, uses both ....
Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, the newspaper is the Times, uses both ....
Also in print? I'm more curious about the p-books though..
Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
GeoffC

My apologies, the books I looked at immediately were ones (coincidently ? accidently ? ) showing dialog on the pages I browsed through.

On closer inspection, you are both correct .....

[Though I stand by my newspaper example !]
Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
My apologies, the books I looked at immediately were ones (coincidently ? accidently ? ) showing dialog on the pages I browsed through.

No problem. I was just intrigued by all your left-justified books .

I suspect that newspapers probably use left justification because full justification doesn't work very well with narrow columns. That's just a guess, though.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Ea
Wizard

Quote:

That's fine I was merely puzzled as to how that could be - sounded very unusual But who knows?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that newspapers probably use left justification because full justification doesn't work very well with narrow columns. That's just a guess, though.
Yes. About the only place where you can see ragged-right text in print is in magazines and newspapers with narrow columns.

As for handwritten or typed text, I always full-justify what I write as much as I can. If I write by hand I hyphenate properly, if I use a typewriter I've been known to double-count the spaces left in a line to find a good break point, if I use a computer I simply turn justification on
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #30
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Plus I just do not like reading in a box.
Indeed; I have dispensed with quaint notions of formatting and typesetting altogether, and think someone ought to add "no justification" as a poll option. I now consume ("reading" is such a passé term) all my fiction as bowls of Alpha-Bits cereal--it starts in a box, to be honest, but a bowl and a splash of milk mixes the letters up nicely. I mean, really, do we even need such archaisms as sentences and words in this enlightened age? I'll feel it in my gut if it's good writing, even if I don't really understand it. "Counterantidisestablishmentarianism", there was never a more tasty mouthful!

P.S. Currently chewing my way through the unabridged War and Peace.

P.P.S. I actually like "justified".

Last edited by The Straven; 08-30-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: for the promotion of humour
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote