Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Do you think the next iPad will have a "retina display"?

I imagine making that high a DPI for iPhone will cut the costs of such a display in the near future, even though we'll likely have to wait about a year for an update to the iPad.

Hope it has an SD card reader then too. Problem is, no OS is based on vector graphics, so on a computer screen bitmapped based graphics appear too small, should be using something like postscript like the printers do.

I always wondered why monitors didn't move toward this instead of plateauing in the resolution department.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
I imagine making that high a DPI for iPhone will cut the costs of such a display in the near future, even though we'll likely have to wait about a year for an update to the iPad.
I think Apple may update the iPad this year again, when they upgrade the OS to 4. I'm guessing front facing camera. Retina display would be great-I'm really interested to see the new touchpanel-glass bonding feature.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

pretty much a no-brainer that it'll have the updated display. with releasing the iphone 4 apple has antiquated the excellent display on the ipad in 2 months. the biggest question is will their supplier be able to produce the screens in quantity? i'd expect a forward facing camera as well, facetalk and all.

internal SD reader. i wouldn't hold my breath on this one. apple has had several years to include a microSD slot on the iphone and chose not to. they seem set with their fixed storage strategy and letting "the cloud" handle the rest of your immediate storage needs. the external SD reader will probably continue to be an option. wouldn't hope for a standard USB port either.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think Apple may update the iPad this year again, when they upgrade the OS to 4. I'm guessing front facing camera. Retina display would be great-I'm really interested to see the new touchpanel-glass bonding feature.
nah. apple has never released and updated a product in the same calendar year. they'll let the existing ipad sell like hotcakes for the holiday season, then release the upgrade next spring making everyone buy again.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
The iPad will not get the same screen as the new iPhone for at least 2 years IMO, it would make it such a crazy resolution that not only would it be unnecessary it would be too expensive.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I doubt that. High resolution, small displays are pretty affordable. I'm sure you can expect a next-generation screen on the second generation iPad.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

they have the technology, it's simply a matter of scaling at this point. if apple released a new ipad next year without a resolution as good as the iphone 4 most of the tech sector would point and laugh. i expect a resolution at least as good as the iphone 4's, if not better, by next spring.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Lets be honest. Apple is not innovating with its retina display. They are playing catch up to Windows Mobile and Android who have had 840x480 phones (as opposed to iPhones 480x320) for quite a while. Their DPI is a little higher than Androids now, but in my mind its not that big of a deal on a 3.5" screen.

I think the next ipad will be 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
they have the technology, it's simply a matter of scaling at this point. if apple released a new ipad next year without a resolution as good as the iphone 4 most of the tech sector would point and laugh. i expect a resolution at least as good as the iphone 4's, if not better, by next spring.
The same resolution would mane NO sense on a larger screen not to that level. a Bigger TV doesn't once you get to a point add more pixels they just get bigger. The iPad is already higher resolution than the new iPhone.

PLUS with that many pixels you would need a faster processor then due to that a larger battery, it wont happen next year or this, next years small update will be a camera pointing forwards only for video con and larger memory for storage.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

You wouldn't need a faster processor, or a larger battery. It could use it, though...
The iPad has a higher resolution in one sense of the word, and a lower in another. Low dpi.

I, however, am expecting that the iPad will already be far surpassed by the competition come generation 2.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

apparently you're not aware of the innovation that went into that new screen. not only is it a higher pixel count, but the LCD is bonded directly on the glass. the glass has been engineered to be 30x stronger than plastic, reportedly stronger "than sapphire" (the gemstone). the IPS provides a better viewing angle than any other phone available today and 800:1 contrast ratio, again the best out there today. the phone is made of a composite steel piece that provides frame structure as well as integrated antennas for phone, wifi and bluetooth.

there are plenty of new technologies that apple developed that went into making this latest phone. things that other hardware manufacturers will now try and copy like they did when the original iphone was released.

as i've said, if it wasn't for apple releasing the iphone 4 years ago we'd still be sitting here with Windows Mobile (a horror that should have never been released on earth), PalmOS smartphones and blackberry's click-wheel.

stustaff, the a5 is already in test stages. it should easily handle next year's screens. and we don't know what else apple has in development with their semiconductor business. they've been acquiring experts in the field right and left.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
You wouldn't need a faster processor, or a larger battery. It could use it, though...
The iPad has a higher resolution in one sense of the word, and a lower in another. Low dpi.

I, however, am expecting that the iPad will already be far surpassed by the competition come generation 2.
Youwould need a faster processor! If you wanted it to ru. At the same speed, redrawing what twice as many pixels needs more grunt!

Scott, im very aware and I expect a new screen with the new technology but not to the same resolution as the new iPhone again it's unnecessary expensive ands would require a better processor and battery. Next year will be an upgrade and then the year after a true 2nd gen iPad.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

have you seen the breakdowns of the ipad? plenty of room for a 3rd battery pack if apple wanted to. along with a separate gpu if they wanted to add that.

unnecessarily expensive? like putting it on a phone? 15 years ago we were happy with a segmented LCD display on a phone for $400. why do we need 326dpi now? lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Good points, Stu.

Though, Apple does have a habit of using unnecessarily expensive things in their products... Or atleast making them unnecessarily expensive. Great products, still.
I'm agreeing with Scott. It's really inevitable that the screen improves. Apple really wants it to. It'll probably be one of their main selling points.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Good points, Stu.

Though, Apple does have a habit of using unnecessarily expensive things in their products... Or atleast making them unnecessarily expensive. Great products, still.
I'm agreeing with Scott. It's really inevitable that the screen improves. Apple really wants it to. It'll probably be one of their main selling points.
Oh deffo screen will improve but not to hone 4 like resolution it's just too much for what will be a minor update version.

The phone is getting it to stay ahead of the competition that's why it can be justified, at the price and profit of an iPad they won't be throwing the extra battery improved processor and retina display onto it for the same price! And they won't be increasing the price.