Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Calibre + Chinese?

Could someone please give me a quick rundown on how to make calibre convert chinese pdf's so they can display in my ebook reader.

When I convert to epub with calibre and view it in calibre it shows the chinese text, however i just get ????? on my device.

I have flashed my prs 300 with chinese support so the title now shows, but the text body does not.

I really need help with this as all the forums are in chinese and I don't speak Chinese. I am doing this for my wife and she is technically inept.

Thanks a lot!
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
Could someone please give me a quick rundown on how to make calibre convert chinese pdf's so they can display in my ebook reader.

When I convert to epub with calibre and view it in calibre it shows the chinese text, however i just get ????? on my device.

I have flashed my prs 300 with chinese support so the title now shows, but the text body does not.

I really need help with this as all the forums are in chinese and I don't speak Chinese. I am doing this for my wife and she is technically inept.

Thanks a lot!
Wouldn't a chinese otf font need to be embedded in any given chinese-text epub?
This issue would also affect chinese RSS feeds (presumably).
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Deleted.

Last edited by mfpreach; 01-06-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66411
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Talking

Thank you so so much!
I spent so many hours trying to do this now it works!
Cheers!

(Here is my code for anyone who needs it in the future)

put the "fonts" directory in the root of the sony drive on the reader. Put the font in that directory, in my case it was "tt0003m_.ttf"

Here is the extra css I use:

@font-face {
font-family: "Microsoft Yahei"';
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/tt0003m_.ttff);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Microsoft Yahei";
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/tt0003m_.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
}
@font-face {
}
body {
font-family: "Microsoft Yahei", serif;
}
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Also for anyone who needs info on how to flash the PRS300 who doesn't speak chinese (like me), here is the instructions:

"Hi mfpreach,

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...age%3D1&page=2

Please see the #62 floor, there are the improved steps and screenshots:

Steps:

1 下载刷机包,解压出sony reader目录,拷贝至database那个区,与其并列。
1. Download refresh file below, extract the directory "sony reader" then paste to database disk.

2 脱机,自动运行脚本,看见刷机菜单,按5保存,再看见刷机菜单,按6开始刷,再看见刷机菜单, 按9重启。o pening book的时间比较长一点。应该就成了。
2. Unplug the USB cable, run scripts, you will see the refresh menu, press 5 to Save, then you will see the refresh menu again, press 6 to start, press 9 to reboot when the refresh menu shows again.

过程简单,要注意的是,拷贝刷机包以前,关掉PC上的sony联机进程。
Note: It's simple but you should turn off (kill) the SONY connection process in PC before you copy the refresh file. "Should be in Task manager if you are using Windows OS"

Refresh file: http://d.namipan.com/d/8a6bd9b08f122...953258c5797f00

Recover file: http://d.namipan.com/d/4d847fc1fee33...82ae8d0be5fd00

For namipan.com, you may need to install it's own download tool to download big enough files.

Hope it helps... "
Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
belem
belem began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505, Kindle 3
Congratulations!
belem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

If you were unwilling to modify your Sony Reader though (or were using another EPUB capable device) it might be different.
I'm trying to modify a zaobao.com Calibre generated EPUB to work with Adobe Song Std - Light font (unsure if it could be distributed..)
Using following addition to CSS sheet:
@font-face {
font-weight: light;
font-family: "AdobeSongStd-Light" ;
src: url(fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf) ;
}
@font-face {
font-family: "AdobeSongStd-Light";
src: url(fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf);
}
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
body {
font-family: "AdobeSongStd-Light", serif;
}

It's not working
Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
If you were unwilling to modify your Sony Reader though (or were using another EPUB capable device) it might be different.
I'm trying to modify a zaobao.com Calibre generated EPUB to work with Adobe Song Std - Light font (unsure if it could be distributed..)
Using following addition to CSS sheet:
@font-face {
font-weight: light;
font-family: "AdobeSongStd-Light" ;
src: url(fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf) ;
}
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
body {
font-family: "AdobeSongStd-Light", serif;
}

It's not working
Assuming you put the font on the root/fonts , you should have src: url(res:///Data/fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf);
Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Assuming you put the font on the root/fonts , you should have src: url(res:///Data/fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf);
Font is embedded within the EPUB, hence fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf
Idea is that it could theoretically be shared without modding sony reader.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #11
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Font is embedded within the EPUB, hence fonts/AdobeSongStd-Light.otf
Idea is that it could theoretically be shared without modding sony reader.
Sorry, I just read the last line, yeah, I have no idea then, please post on this thread if you find a solution as maybe i would like to embed also.

Last edited by mfpreach; 01-08-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
SonyRolly
SonyRolly began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Need Help!

Quote:
Also for anyone who needs info on how to flash the PRS300 who doesn't speak chinese (like me), here is the instructions:

"Hi mfpreach,

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...age%3D1&page=2

Please see the #62 floor, there are the improved steps and screenshots:

Steps:

1 下载刷机包,解压出sony reader目录,拷贝至database那个区,与其并列。
1. Download refresh file below, extract the directory "sony reader" then paste to database disk.

2 脱机,自动运行脚本,看见刷机菜单,按5保存,再看见刷机菜单,按6开始刷,再看见刷机菜单, 按9重启。o pening book的时间比较长一点。应该就成了。
2. Unplug the USB cable, run scripts, you will see the refresh menu, press 5 to Save, then you will see the refresh menu again, press 6 to start, press 9 to reboot when the refresh menu shows again.

过程简单,要注意的是,拷贝刷机包以前,关掉PC上的sony联机进程。
Note: It's simple but you should turn off (kill) the SONY connection process in PC before you copy the refresh file. "Should be in Task manager if you are using Windows OS"

Refresh file: http://d.namipan.com/d/8a6bd9b08f122...953258c5797f00

Recover file: http://d.namipan.com/d/4d847fc1fee33...82ae8d0be5fd00

For namipan.com, you may need to install it's own download tool to download big enough files.

Hope it helps... "
Hi mfpreach,

I couldn't download these files from the Chinese site. Can you please forward them to me. I am so tired of reading PDFs. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
SonyRolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
snoopysnoozy
snoopysnoozy began at the beginning.

Device: none
mfpreach, (or any1 pls)

Can you help me too? I just got my 300 and I'm trying to get it to read Chinese. I got the files that you had stated but I don't know how to run scripts and where to run it.

Is it possible for you to list down the step by step guide for me?
snoopysnoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyRolly View Post
Hi mfpreach,

I couldn't download these files from the Chinese site. Can you please forward them to me. I am so tired of reading PDFs. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in response I meant to but i forgot...
Anyways I don't have those files anymore sorry, maybe you should post on the original thread to find them
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
mfpreach
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysnoozy View Post
mfpreach, (or any1 pls)

Can you help me too? I just got my 300 and I'm trying to get it to read Chinese. I got the files that you had stated but I don't know how to run scripts and where to run it.

Is it possible for you to list down the step by step guide for me?
Your post is kinda vague...have you already flashed your prs300?
If so, are you talking about Calibre scripts for font embedding? Check post 5 for that. The Yahei font comes with windows 7 so you should have that on your computer.

EDIT
I think I know now what you are referring too, I haven't done this for awhile so I have forgotten exactly what I did but its coming back to me.
Once you paste the refresh (aka Brush pack) file on your device it will automatically load a script if I remember correctly then you can follow the rest of the instructions. I will look for that file but I don't believe I have it anymore.

Last edited by mfpreach; 04-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.