Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Question Who uses the lock feature?

I was wondering how many of you use the "lock" feature on your ereader? I also was wondering if it was stolen is there a way around the lock feature!?

What are your thoughts?
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I have never used the lock feature.

I don't know the answer but is it possible to work around the lock by doing a hard reset?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't have a tendency to use any lock features either, though it makes that maybe I should.

I'm sure there most be some way around them, there always tends to be! I would interested to know aswell if anyone had any theories?
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Don't use the lock feature, and if they steal it they are welcome to read my bible as well as catholic prayer book on it...... might do them some good
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Don't use the lock feature, and if they steal it they are welcome to read my bible as well as catholic prayer book on it...... might do them some good
Bless your heart! I'm heartless. If anyone takes my PRS-505 or PRS-900, it will be a useless paperweight. Not only do I have the lock feature in place but it's in a patois of French follow by numbers!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Lock it? I don't even power it off.

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
Lock it? I don't even power it off.

Jim
Right on brother!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
I don't have a tendency to use any lock features either, though it makes that maybe I should.

I'm sure there most be some way around them, there always tends to be! I would interested to know aswell if anyone had any theories?
The way around it is to do a hard reset. That will erase any data that's on the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #9
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ah thank you!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I had it locked but couldn't do anything with the usb. I have to leave it unlocked. I might lock it if I travel with it. dunno yet.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have any "sensitive" information on it that you wouldn't want anyone else to see? That's really the only use of the "lock" facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have any "sensitive" information on it that you wouldn't want anyone else to see? That's really the only use of the "lock" facility.
Have any kids (or children)? Would you like to return to the last page read?

Of course if I had any Harlequin books on it, not only would I lock it, I would spike it to the desk to prevent anyone from finding out!

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote