Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #91
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well it would only be for the classic month. It's not a huge pool, but there's some good stuff to choose from in there.
I think the majority of those are in-print, not-PD books. While I wouldn't mind working from an existing list of "Classics," I'd prefer it be an established list, rather than "the books on this list that are in public domain," which each person would have to research on their own to decide what to nominate.

Also, while I think a list of 1001 would be a reasonable pool to draw from (despite most/all other genres numbering in the tens or hundreds of thousands)--I wouldn't mind "any MR book" as a topic, and that's a few thousand only--it looks like the PD books on the "Books to read before you die" list are very limited.

To seriously consider the list (and I agree, it has some wonderful classics, possibly enough to choose from), I'd want to see the actual list of potential books for the month. I wouldn't even object to one month being "a book from the 1001 books list," but I don't think it should be labeled "Classics" in that case.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #92
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think the majority of those are in-print, not-PD books. While I wouldn't mind working from an existing list of "Classics," I'd prefer it be an established list, rather than "the books on this list that are in public domain," which each person would have to research on their own to decide what to nominate.

Also, while I think a list of 1001 would be a reasonable pool to draw from (despite most/all other genres numbering in the tens or hundreds of thousands)--I wouldn't mind "any MR book" as a topic, and that's a few thousand only--it looks like the PD books on the "Books to read before you die" list are very limited.

To seriously consider the list (and I agree, it has some wonderful classics, possibly enough to choose from), I'd want to see the actual list of potential books for the month. I wouldn't even object to one month being "a book from the 1001 books list," but I don't think it should be labeled "Classics" in that case.
I know most aren't in PD or even in print, but that's why I said narrow it down to what's on MR. I haven't checked it in a while, but as of last count there are 103 books on that list that are available on MR.

I just thought it might be a good way to narrow down the classics, or if we went to PD that way too. 'Twas just a thought
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't think we need "rigid" definitions. We are all capable of deciding what a "classic" book is, and if there's debate about a specific book, that can take place during the nomination period.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #94
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't think we need "rigid" definitions. We are all capable of deciding what a "classic" book is, and if there's debate about a specific book, that can take place during the nomination period.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #95
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
That's the biggest attraction of the MRBC for me - reading a recommended book in an unfamiliar genre.
That's why I suggested History/Historical Fiction and Western although now that I've seen the confusion that Historical Fiction has generated I am beginning to question that suggestion. Further thought lead me to realize that almost all historical fiction falls within the other genera already proposed. For instance one of my favorite historical series is the Lord Meren series by Lynda S. Robinson but these are really Mysteries too.

Bye the bye and totally off topic, here is an interesting collection of books http://www.kenseamedia.com/amelia/mysteries.htm.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #96
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So, does everyone agree with

1. drop Historical Fiction since it is contained in the other genres

2. drop Bio's because it is contained in Non-fiction

3. Give Thriller it's own month

4. Move Fantasy so it is not so close to science fiction which would be 2 months later

5. Just leave the definition of classic alone and let the nomination threads determine acceptability of an ebook

If we do the above I think that leaves one empty spot in the line up. Here's the updated proposal based on the above:

January 2010
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February 2010
Romance
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Thriller/Suspense
July 2010

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August 2010
Wild Card (any genre)
September 2010
Mystery/Crime
October 2010
Horror
November 2010

December 2010
Classic

Should the Wild Card month state not a genre's defined for other months? I can go either way there.

Feedback?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #97
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, does everyone agree with

1. drop Historical Fiction since it is contained in the other genres

2. drop Bio's because it is contained in Non-fiction

3. Give Thriller it's own month

4. Move Fantasy so it is not so close to science fiction which would be 2 months later

5. Just leave the definition of classic alone and let the nomination threads determine acceptability of an ebook

If we do the above I think that leaves one empty spot in the line up. Here's the updated proposal based on the above:

January 2010
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February 2010
Romance
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Thriller/Suspense
July 2010

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August 2010
Wild Card (any genre)
September 2010
Mystery/Crime
October 2010
Horror
November 2010

December 2010
Classic

Should the Wild Card month state not a genre's defined for other months? I can go either way there.

Feedback?

BOb

Love it! What's in for November? I'm leaning towards a History category but it's likely that most of the nominations for Non-fiction will be that. Or we could do that month as previously nominated but didn't win, especially since it's near the end of the cycle.

IMO, Wild card should be anything goes. That'll be fun!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Or we could do that month as previously nominated but didn't win, especially since it's near the end of the cycle.
Hmmm... that is an interesting idea and more fits in with the term "Wild Card"... I could rearrange the months so December is the "Wild Card" month... wild card would be a no nominations month where we just put up a vote of all those books nominated for that year which didn't win.

I think it might be good for December too since most people are pretty busy with the holidays during that time frame and nomination threads take alot more participation than a simple vote.

(And call the "Any Genre" month Free For All or something.)

What do you all think of Lilac's great idea?

BOb
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #99
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
You're doing a good job Bob; I'm happy with your suggestions.

I'd suggest erotica as a contender for the free month (I'm just saying what you're all thinking ).

But I like Lilac's idea too.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd suggest erotica as a contender for the free month (I'm just saying what you're all thinking ).
Actually, I wasn't thinking that. But, now that you mention it I'm only thinking about that.

Of course Erotica could certainly be nominated during Free For All... as could Manga or anything else.

BOb
Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #101
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Yes, looks good. I really like lilac_J's wild card idea.

Romance and erotica? Looks like I get two months for Fictionwise!
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #102
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, I wasn't thinking that. But, now that you mention it I'm only thinking about that.
BOb

Yes BOb, I like that line up! Classics goes well in November, at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere, since there is nothing better on dark, cold days than a good book.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Yes, looks good. I really like lilac_J's wild card idea.

Romance and erotica? Looks like I get two months for Fictionwise!
d
Please let's not have "erotica" as a specific category. It can be regarded as a subset of "romance" (or perhaps vice versa), surely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #104
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Please let's not have "erotica" as a specific category. It can be regarded as a subset of "romance" (or perhaps vice versa), surely?
Oh sure, now that's all I'm going to think about.

(and don't call me Shirlee)
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #105
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
(or perhaps vice versa), surely?
Vice versa - erotic poetry ??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote