Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
PSP charging adapter question

I just ordered a usb to psp tip lead.
I thought it would be the most versatile and portable option because I could use it either to charge from a usb port on a computer or use one of the several usb mains adapters that I have acquired with other devices.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that all of my usb mains adapters are 400mA or less, but the Sony adapters for both the reader and the PSP are rated at 2A.

I know that usb current supply can vary, so if receiving power via the usb port my reader will be 'expecting' a wide range of currents, but if I'm charging it via the power socket, it will be 'expecting' 2A.

Can I cause any damage this way, if the reader tries to pull more than 400mA from a 400mA charger?

Last edited by jamesbeat; 06-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I doubt it will cause any damage, I think in the worst case the Reader will fail to charge, in the best case it will just charge slower. If you see the red light, the charging works.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Is that a guess or is it based on knowledge/experience?

Switched mode power supplies are pretty sensitive, and I don't know enough about them or the charging circuitry in the reader to know if the reader would try and pull more current than the PSU could handle, or what the consequences would be if it did.

I do know that a charger that was capable of supplying more than 2A would be safe because the reader would only draw what it needed, but I'm not sure what happens if the charger is underpowered.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?
Or has anyone used an aftermarket adapter that supplies less than 2A without incident?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard of a PSP power supply that did not work with the Sony. 5V @ 2A is only 10W of power - that's a pretty "wimpy" demand to place on any power supply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Quite true, but my PSU is only capable of providing 5V @ 400mA which is even less.
I would like to know if this would merely mean that my book would charge slower, or if the book will try to draw more than the PSU can handle and fry itself or the PSU?
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

I just bought an aftermarket psp adapter in the end, it was very cheap and will charge faster with no worries of doing any damage.

I didn't really want to go down this route because I'm moving to the states soon and I wanted to avoid buying a 3 pin uk adapter if possible.
The usb adapter I mentioned has a part that unclips to remove the 3 pin bit and it has an american two pin connector underneath, so I wanted to use that if possible.

Never mind eh, better safe than sorry.

The adapter I bought is a switched mode type that accepts 100-240v so it will work in the states with a travel adapter.

Last edited by jamesbeat; 06-05-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
That lower amperage is similar to a powered USB port, which the Sony reader likes just fine for charging. The round socket is a different charging port and YMMV but it should not make any difference other than charging time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote