Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Prodigy vs. Go - M-Edge Fights Itself!

A couple weeks ago I got the M-Edge Prodigy cover, which I compared to the Amazon Cover that I had purchased with my K2. Well apparently I did such a good job reviewing the M-Edge, the company wanted me to review their latest case, the M-Edge Go! Jacket.

The Go is a more direct competitor to the Amazon Cover in every way. It is exactly the same price ($30) and it has essentially the same design. Where the Go Jacket differs from the Amazon case most is (as expected) in the quality.

As with the Prodigy case, the Go Jacket is made of a fine quality leather and stitched with a white thread for a lovely, clean design. Where the Amazon Cover feels somewhat plasticky, the leather on the Go feels like.. well, leather. There is almost no padding under the leather on the Go, but the leather itself feels slightly thicker, and the cover overall feels slightly more rigid than the Amazon Cover. The Go also has the leather-covered elastic straps to hold the Kindle close to the back of the cover, unlike the Amazon Cover that allows the Kindle to flop around a bit.

One major difference that will appeal to many Kindle users is that the The M-Edge Go is available in purple, fuchsia, mocha, black and red leather. Those who find the Amazon case too bland will welcome the other colors - if my wife had a Kindle, I would certainly be getting her the red case. For me, the smooth mocha is a nice manly sort of case, reminiscent of a cigar case or fine leather-bound book.

The size of the Go is ever so slightly larger than the Amazon Cover – maybe ¼” wider, but exactly the same length. In practice this difference is certainly not noticeable. The thickness and the weight of the two is the same, or so close I can’t tell the difference by hand.

In comparing the Amazon Cover to the M-Edge Go, it’s pretty clear that for the money the M-Edge is the much better choice. The quality is just that much better, and though it is a little lightly larger, it does not feel larger. Hands down, this case is the winner in that fight.

When comparing it to the Prodigy though, that’s where things get more interesting. The Go is lighter, thinner, smaller and cheaper than the prodigy, but for the 50% premium in price Prodigy has a number of improvements; first, there is more padding underneath the leather, which gives it a softer, more luxurious feel. The Prodigy has the belt-like strap closure, which means it will not pop open if you just throw it in a bag – and that’s essential for me. The Prodigy has the pockets for business cards and, more importantly, the slot for the M-Edge light ($15 extra), which is very handy especially when reading in bed.

When trying to figure out which one is the ideal case for which use, it’s hard to say. On the one hand, the Prodigy is a much better case to travel with because it offers more protection, while the Go Jacket seems to be the perfect case for home use - ironic, given its name. But the Prodigy’s bulk and heft make it more difficult to travel with, and the lack of the reading light slot in the Go means that it is not quite as good as the Prodigy for reading in bed – which is something that most people do at home (at least most of the time).

So the decision between the Prodigy and Go really comes down to what features you need in a case. Ultimately while I appreciate the smaller, svelte profile of the Go, I prefer the lux feel and added protection that the extra padding provide, and the closure strap is a must-have for me to feel safe just throwing it in my bag when I commute. So the winner, for me at least, is the Prodigy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	27982   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	27983   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	27984   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	27987   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	27988   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	27989  

Last edited by weatherman; 04-23-2009 at 07:31 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thank you -- marvelous review!! And the side-by-side pictures are invaluable too. I think I'll go buy a case .... but I'm still not sure which one! I like to take the Kindle2 *out* to read by its slim little self, but protection if I'm reading in the grocery line would be nice (if I drop it....). So maybe the executive cover ... easier to take out of, but lots of protection. Decisions, decisions.....

Or maybe NOT the executive -- looks like they've stopped making that one, for the Kindle 2. So yet MORE deciding!

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 04-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
but protection if I'm reading in the grocery line would be nice (if I drop it....).
I think the best protection against a drop is to not drop it. Does the Kindle2 have a connection point for a wrist strap?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the best protection against a drop is to not drop it. Does the Kindle2 have a connection point for a wrist strap?

BOb
The Kindle doesn't have a lanyard hole, so you have to find some other way to protect it from drops.

The Go! case is probably only 50% effective at that, since it doesn't latch shut there is a chance that it would flop open and the kindle would land on its face. Also, in either case there isn't much corner protection, which is the most dangerous place for any gadget to land. That said, any case is better than no case for drop protection, and the M-Edge cases are really more about getting a good grip and protecting against the occasional knocking around.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
gv3
gv3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I actually have both cases as well. When I bought the Prodigy the Go had not yet
been released. As someone who reads on the road far more than at home,
in particular while standing or sitting on the subway, I definitely prefer the Go. I always
found that the closing strap on the Prodigy was a nuisance when trying to read on
the subway, or even in an airline seat. I'm a bit of a klutz but not enough of one that
I need the closing strap anyway. Now the question is, "Will they make a similar
cover for my new DX, set to arrive on the 11th of June?"
gv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Just shove it in an aquapac, they come with a next strap.

I've taken to putting mine in "up side down" so I can read without tangling or twisting the cord.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
They need to make a cover for the Group Prodigy
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv3 View Post
Now the question is, "Will they make a similar
cover for my new DX, set to arrive on the 11th of June?"
I'm sure they will. And hopefully it will be as much better than Amazon's Kindle Cover for the DX as their cover for the K2 is.

I have to say that after living with both cases for more than a month, the Go! case has become my daily case. I only use the Prodigy when I travel for more than a day trip. I do find it more protective, but the Go is better for just taking with me everywhere.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks! This review was great in helping me see the pros and cons of the two cases I am considering for when I finally get a Kindle.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Thanks! This review was great in helping me see the pros and cons of the two cases I am considering for when I finally get a Kindle.
Glad I could help!