Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #61
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Sorry, confused here on what you're helping me with. My tutorial says "Unplug your Kindle from the PC" for each step. I don't think I mentioned safe ejection in the tutorial. Are you suggesting I should have?

Thank you for reading over it, I appreciate your feedback so much
Are you just pulling the plug or using safely remove?
If you are using the safe ejection please be specific.
Many people will take your unplug literally.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #62
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Are you just pulling the plug or using safely remove?
If you are using the safe ejection please be specific.
Many people will take your unplug literally.
I am pulling the plug.
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am pulling the plug.
What operating system on Windows? And it might be better to tell people to safely remove so as not to get a stuck kindle.

Do you have the time to answer all the "my kindle is stuck" questions?

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-05-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #64
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
What operating system on Windows? And it might be better to tell people to safely remove so as not to get a stuck kindle.

Do you have the time to answer all the "my kindle is stuck" questions?
Personally I'm on Windows 10. I could just say "wait 10 seconds after it finishes copying the file" to make sure there is no more write operations on the Kindle device before they unplug it. That would solve both your A4 unplug-only rule and the safe ejection, do you agree?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #65
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Personally I'm on Windows 10. I could just say "wait 10 seconds after it finishes copying the file" to make sure there is no more write operations on the Kindle device before they unplug it. That would solve both your A4 unplug-only rule and the safe ejection, do you agree?
I think since some people (probably most) will be on older Windows, just use safe ejection.

I am trying to save us both some headaches.

Since you are new around here, read some of the posts for strange things people have done and asked.
The serial jailbreak is a good place to start.
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #66
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I hoped that the way my tutorial was written, it would eliminate questions and get people going on their way to a jailbroken Kindle

Maybe I should rename the thread to be PW2 specific, so that if someone does have a question and it isn't PW2, then I refer them to the "universal" thread.
And when you do that, also cover the differences between the early 2Gbyte and later 4Gbyte models.

Firmware (and u-boot) for the 2Gbyte model can not run the 4Gbyte chip.
We have had plenty of people disappear down that rabbit hole already.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #67
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I updated that and two other locations I posted the these links. However, the system here will not let me update the links in two other relevant threads. I get this:I am curious HOW MUCH later. I waited quite a long while and I still get that. It previously prevented me from updating obsolete stuff in a bunch of my old posts many weeks ago.

Why does this website impose such a limitation that FORCES bit-rot by preventing bulk link maintenance edits? I want to fix my old stuff, but I can only do three edits and it stops me this way for a LONG TIME (during which I move on to other things and rule-enforced bit-rot prevails).

So I guess the other places will just have to stay the old way. I have to time to deal with this "waiting game".
An unfortunate side-effect of a site-wide technical measure taken to mitigate the effects of potential spammers.

Outside of occasional (maintenance of technical posts) needs like this, there is very little reason for anyone to ever need to bulk edit their posts.
Except, say, a spammer adding in spam to a series of posts that have previously passed scrutiny.

I doubt an exception can be made on a per-subforum basis.
The best solution is to become a moderator, actually. I don't have the numbers on how long you have to wait, but I don't believe moderators are restricted in the same way.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #68
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Not my intention to be rude. Merely a truthful observation of the overall trend of this thread. This is how hackers communicate. Read the links I posted earlier. The misperceived rudeness is merely your misinterpretation. I think your emotion-based UX training would be better understood and accepted in the parent Amazon forum, especially after you expressed your disapproval of us and our precise technical geek-like ways (with colorful highlights and bold attributes in our text and our thoughts). We are more into command-line interfaces than emotional aspects of our projects here.

EDIT: UX has its place in mass-market appeal, but is not much use in a specialty technical forum like ours. However, you are very welcome here if you can learn to fit in and not try to change us to be more like you.

UX must always come after technical correctness.

Quote:
I think you're confused. It seems that you think only "nerds" / "geeks" should be able to jailbreak and visit this forum.

As you've noticed, my tutorial is made for the general public, so simple that even my grandmother could follow it . That's why I posted it here, and that's why the title of this thread is simplified. A lot more eye-catching and to-the-point than "DAG" .

In the end, I just want to help the community spread the word about jailbreaks to the general public. Not just to "geeks". I want everyone to benefit from the amazing software KUAL can integrate to our Kindles! .

EDIT: I don't think jailbreaking would belong in the parent forum, do you? I don't see any threads there currently on this topic. That's why It was posted here . But if it needs to move, and if this subforum is indeed meant for technical developers, then please let me know and I'll have the moderators do so.
No, not just geeks, but anyone who is going to be thrown off by the lack of pictures, well, I dearly hope they don't try messing with some of our more advanced hacks like USBNetwork or the perennially fragile font hack.

And as has been observed, your "eye-catching and to-the-point" tutorial has and had flaws.
Accurate tutorials are far more valuable than simple-and-easy-to-follow tutorials.
Tutorials which build on what came before are less prone to bitrot.

Perhaps you would find more acceptance if in your haste to be helpful you didn't come across as dismissive of the attempts that came before you.

Quote:
I hoped that the way my tutorial was written, it would eliminate questions and get people going on their way to a jailbroken Kindle

Maybe I should rename the thread to be PW2 specific, so that if someone does have a question and it isn't PW2, then I refer them to the "universal" thread.
And yet, we have never had a lack of people able to follow our more technical guides. And not just techies.
However, your thread has not been exempt from questions. Few things are.

Is this tutorial PW2 specific? If so, why? Most devices are NOT the PW2, so wouldn't it be more helpful to write a more generic guide more people could follow?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
I have a master's degree in User Experience Design,
- - - -
Which one?
http://uxmastery.com/resources/ux-degrees/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #70
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

UX must always come after technical correctness.

No, not just geeks, but anyone who is going to be thrown off by the lack of pictures, well, I dearly hope they don't try messing with some of our more advanced hacks like USBNetwork or the perennially fragile font hack.

And as has been observed, your "eye-catching and to-the-point" tutorial has and had flaws.
Accurate tutorials are far more valuable than simple-and-easy-to-follow tutorials.
Tutorials which build on what came before are less prone to bitrot.

Perhaps you would find more acceptance if in your haste to be helpful you didn't come across as dismissive of the attempts that came before you.

And yet, we have never had a lack of people able to follow our more technical guides. And not just techies.
However, your thread has not been exempt from questions. Few things are.

Is this tutorial PW2 specific? If so, why? Most devices are NOT the PW2, so wouldn't it be more helpful to write a more generic guide more people could follow?
Unfortunately you are very very incorrect about the following statement: "UX must always come after technical correctness." UX comes absolutely first, and then "technical correctness" comes after. I recommend reading the following article and even this one, to familiarize yourself with what I was saying. It's a very common mistake to confuse UX and UI, so I don't blame you.

"And as has been observed, your "eye-catching and to-the-point" tutorial has and had flaws." This is a silly statement. Everything has "flaws" when you first build something. It's through iterations that things become closer to perfection . And I appreciate all the feedback I've received, and have acted upon them quite quickly to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I'm not going to state the school I went to. That's highly personal and irrelevant.

--

Are we ever going to be able to keep this thread on topic, or do I need to feel like I need to defend myself with every new post that is made? Quite the welcome for someone that's just trying to help the community. I'm appalled that even a moderator is joining this little brigade now.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #71
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Unfortunately you are very very incorrect about the following statement: "UX must always come after technical correctness." UX comes absolutely first, and then "technical correctness" comes after. I recommend reading the following article and even this one, to familiarize yourself with what I was saying. It's a very common mistake to confuse UX and UI, so I don't blame you.

"And as has been observed, your "eye-catching and to-the-point" tutorial has and had flaws." This is a silly statement. Everything has "flaws" when you first build something. It's through iterations that things become closer to perfection . And I appreciate all the feedback I've received, and have acted upon them quite quickly to implement.

I'm not going to state the school I went to. That's highly personal and irrelevant.

--

Are we ever going to be able to keep this thread on topic, or do I need to feel like I need to defend myself with every new post that is made? Quite the welcome for someone that's just trying to help the community. I'm appalled that even a moderator is joining this little brigade now.
I also write technical documentation as a large part of my job, and I can tell you that being rude to the developers is the best way to end up with worthless documentation. Before you come back with any sort of "they were rude first" post, I can tell you that suggesting that the posts that they wrote were useless while yours are perfect was definitely rude. Especially since what you wrote was neither correct or complete--at least not initially. You have been pretty good about correcting your "tutorial".

For you to come in and assume that everything you do is better than what everyone else does has to be one of the rudest things I've ever seen...and then to publicly accuse others of rudeness and call for them to be banned is just ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #72
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Hey swifty,
Do you have a way to check and make sure your tutorial works on other PW2s and other operating systems?
Oh and if you are interested I know a few companies that could use your experience and degree to make their websites user friendly.

Oh I just got a very sad email. Looks like geekmaster will not be posting here ever again. His doctor just called and confirmed he has aggressive bone cancer. The doctor says he has a few months at best. He will be missed immensely in the scientific and computer worlds.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #73
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey swifty,
Do you have a way to check and make sure your tutorial works on other PW2s and other operating systems?
Oh and if you are interested I know a few companies that could use your experience and degree to make their websites user friendly.
Good question, I did not test this on other operating systems. However, my tutorial is just reiterating what Branch Delay's tutorial does. I don't follow any different steps than what the tutorials which are posted here already do (although I did add downgrading steps).

I can't see it being different in another OS. Most of the steps pertaining to an OS are just 'drag and drop this and that onto the Kindle'. The rest take place on the Kindle device itself. So we should be good there.

Thank you for checking
Old 07-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #74
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I stand by my words.

A great guide with false information helps no one and risks permanent, irrevocable damage.
A difficult-to-comprehend guide will help only a few people (and mainly the more technically inclined), but those people will have a a very usable end product.

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with your tutorial needing revision. Our (the Kindle Dev Corner "old guard") work needed, needs, and will need revisions too.

I am attempting to explain to you, that casting aspersions on our work because it is not perfect (in ease-of-use) is pretty silly when your work is not perfect (in technical correctness).

A number of users here have written simplified guides to ease casual users into the jailbreaking scene. For example, have you seen grant2's guide to serial jailbreaking?

Of course, he took care to be polite and provide proper attribution from the beginning. As opposed to waiting to be prompted.

And he never implied anything like:

Quote:
Yeah the way all these guides are written is incredibly difficult to follow. Red text, bold, numbers, everything littered all over a thread haha. I have a master's degree in User Experience Design, so I put my degree to use and I think most people would agree that it is the easiest to follow, currently.

I'm happy to help you rewrite those guides, just shoot me a PM if you want my assistance.
Hmm, insulting the quality of the guides we have done. Because it's all red and bold and littery. Apparently.
And implying that without a degree in "User Experience Design", we won't get far without your help.

Which is galling to hear, from a person who at that point in time has not (yet) corrected his own, supposedly superior, guide to the point where it doesn't give dangerous and destructive advice instead of useful jailbreaking advice.

Perhaps you should spend a bit of time being introspective about your own actions, before complaining of rudeness on the part of others. Because it does not seem to me that you are blameless here, that is for certain.

Quote:
Quite the welcome for someone that's just trying to help the community.
Which community? The people who create content, or the people who consume content?

Helping one while alienating the other is pretty silly. Both are needed -- one is given purpose by the other, through the mechanism of the other benefiting from the one.

Quote:
I'm appalled that even a moderator is joining this little brigade now.
What "brigade"? I am merely asking you to refrain from alienating the content creators in your haste to explain things to the content consumers.

Or is it a "brigade" when we as a group mention that it is slightly shocking that you would have needed to be prompted in the first place, to provide accreditation rather than hotlinking other peoples' files into your tutorial?
Because that was just straight-up plagiarism, whether deliberate or accidental, by any objective standard. And the fact that it all took place in the same forum does not ameliorate that.

Accidental plagiarism can still get you expelled from college or lose your journalistic integrity.
Accidental theft can still see you locked up in jail.
Accidental murder still leaves you criminally liable for manslaughter.

So, "it was an accident" isn't really a great excuse, and plagiarism leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths.

I could argue that it is my duty as a moderator to "join this little brigade". Maybe I was too easy on you, by acting like any ordinary member, and/or leaving the statements by geekmaster and knc1 to stand on their own.

Anyway, this argument is no longer interesting to me. If it ever particularly was.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #75
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Is this the 2GB or 4GB because knc1 noticed there are some differences?

If I seem a bit picky and want specifics, it is because we need to clarify exactly which device so when people do come in with questions, we will have the answers.

And yes there will be a dozen or more questions.
Now next question,
How would you answer this:
I jailbreak my kindle then reset, why is my jailbreak not working?