Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Edinburgh MR Meet-up 18 August at 7pm

Moderator's Note: The date has been set. I copied the following info so it can be found easily by everyone:

Quote:
Recap, to gather the information suggested.

Date: Monday 18th August
Time: 7pm onwards
Location: London Review of Books Signing Tent (Café Bar), Charlotte Square Gardens (possibly moving to Speigeltent, if we are still going after 9:30)
Transport: Charlotte square is close to numerous bus services, and about 15 mins walk from Edinburgh Waverly Train station. Fuller details are on the Book Festival website.

The gardens and venue are free to get in (I've checked this with the Festival staff!).

From the Festival website:
Beetroot Blue Café Bar in the London Review of Books Signing Tent
Fairtrade coffee, teas, whisky, wines and beer plus a range of light snacks, sandwiches and fresh salads. (From experience in previous year, Beetroot Blue is pretty good)

If you are bringing a device, could you either leave a reply with details of the devices, or drop me a message?

Current devices:
Iliad, Sony PRS-500, Kindle, Cybook

Would anyone be interested in meeting up during the festival in August, say on the 18th (though I've some flexibility here)?

I'd like to meet up at the Book Festival, in Charlotte Square, but I'm sure other locations would work if people have suggestions.

To give incentives, I'll bring along (assuming I haven't broken them!) an iLiad, PRS-500 and Kindle; I'd love to see some of the other types too..

Warning: given that it's festival-time, Edinburgh tends to hang up a "Sorry, No vacancies sign".

For those down south; I'll try and arrange something in London (or futher south!) in September.

Last edited by LazyScot; 08-15-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: added another device..; updated LRB foods...
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
an MR meetup during a book festival ! brilliant !!!

i'll expect a boatload of new recruits, after that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, if you make it in December after the 20th, there's a good chance that I might actually be able to make it. My wife & I will be going to Scotland to visit family for the holidays.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
good heavens, you forgot to check with jswolf first, how inconsiderate of you. all meetups must be coordinated with his personal schedule and held in one of the pre-approved locations specified by him (so far, i believe they are limited to "the bar on the corner of the street where he lives"). please fill out the appropriate form in triplicate and submit it with 6 months advance notice and the processing fee. pay special attention to page 178b, question eleventy-nine-hundred* ; if you get that wrong, he will bar you from ever organising a meetup anywhere in the known or any parallel universe, at any date past or future.

(*pssst : the answer is "the blue one, next to the fish." but you didn't hear it from me.)

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah... Just saying, that we'll be in Scotland in December fo the holidays. So there's a chance I could go maybe if it happened while we were there. I'm not 100% sure about it though. Would have to see what's going on when it was scheduled to happen.
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nah... Just saying, that we'll be in Scotland in December fo the holidays. So there's a chance I could go maybe if it happened while we were there. I'm not 100% sure about it though. Would have to see what's going on when it was scheduled to happen.
I try to get back for the New Year/Hogmanay, less so for Christmas. If we manage to get some people to the Bookfestival maybe we can have a 2nd Edinurgh meet. We'd just need to decide on a suitable venue...

However, I guess we should avoid the 31st; I don't think a combined Hogmanay and MR Meet would result in the informed, sensible, intellectual discussions associated with the event.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who is likely to appear.... <...ear, ...ear, ...ear echos off the lounge walls>.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do have to agree that the actual holidays are not a good idea to meet. But we could do it early January 2009 maybe.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
LazyScot
DSil

That might be possible, if very early in January.

I'm pretty bad at planning my holidays (sady, my work diary, on the other hand...), so it may be easier (for me!) to confirm nearer the time. That said I guess agreeing a date sooner would be better.

Back on the subject of the August met, I'm guessing that lunchtime (12:30) in the Speigeltent or say c. 7pm in the London Review of Books signing tent. (There's an event in the Speigeltent in the early evening; we could always decame to the Speigeltent at about 9pm when the music starts, if people wanted).
Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil

Recap, to gather the information suggested.

Date: Monday 18th August
Time: 7pm onwards
Location: London Review of Books Signing Tent (Café Bar), Charlotte Square Gardens (possibly moving to Speigeltent, if we are still going after 9:30)
Transport: Charlotte square is close to numerous bus services, and about 15 mins walk from Edinburgh Waverly Train station. Fuller details are on the Book Festival website.

The gardens and venue are free to get in (I've checked this with the Festival staff!).

From the Festival website:
Beetroot Blue Café Bar in the London Review of Books Signing Tent
Fairtrade coffee, teas, whisky, wines and beer plus a range of light snacks, sandwiches and fresh salads. (From experience in previous year, Beetroot Blue is pretty good

If you are bringing a device, could you either leave a reply with details of the devices, or drop me a message?

Current devices:
Iliad, Sony PRS-500, Kindle
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I moved this to the front page to get more attention.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Might be able to make it, but quite possibly won't be in town that day. (Not sure yet.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #12
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I'll come with my Cybook!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Oooo, we'll have to have some sort of system for recognising each other.
I'll be sparkly.
Seriously, I will, but will figure out something a bit more obvious from a distance than that, since I'll almost certainly leave the wings at home (crowds, y'know)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
LazyScot
DSil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
I'll be sparkly.
Seriously, I will, but will figure out something a bit more obvious from a distance than that, since I'll almost certainly leave the wings at home (crowds, y'know)
Good point. I'll try and make sure we have a printed copy of the logo, to make it obvious, but I'm open to (serious) suggestions....
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Just carry your devices?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote