Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
KOBO Rocks!!!

I know many people here have posted negative comments about KOBO, and I am sure that many of their complaints are justified but...

I have purchased 5 different KOBO products now (Original, Touch, Vox, Glo, and Aura HD) and have had no major problems. I have found that their customer service (both email and phone) has always answered my questions without too much aggravation on my part and have never been unable to read on my current device. When the usb connection on my Touch started to go, I had a replacement in my hand 15 minutes after I noticed the problem (from Chapters, and granted I live across the street from them).

My latest purchase (the AuraHD) arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered online directly from KOBO (although I did need to access their site using IE because it was having issues with Firefox).

Is KOBO perfect? By all means no. Am I able to read what I want, when I want and how I want? Yes, and to me that is what matters the most.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Same here - have been very happy Love your little dog too!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
I know many people here have posted negative comments about KOBO, and I am sure that many of their complaints are justified but...

My latest purchase (the AuraHD) arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered online directly from KOBO (although I did need to access their site using IE because it was having issues with Firefox).

Is KOBO perfect? By all means no. Am I able to read what I want, when I want and how I want? Yes, and to me that is what matters the most.

S
Can you please post your thoughts/observations about the AURA. I am dying to get feedback from a real person who uses these devices. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tech Reviews but I really find more value in someone like yourself providing your thoughts on the device.

I am a die hard Kindle fan (since my first one in 2009) - however this AURA is the first front lit device that I have seen that has significantly peaked my interest. I wasn't that excited about the Kindle Paperwhite but this looks really promising. Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and CONGRATS on your new toy!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I also received my Aura within about 24 hours of ordering. It will be my first Kobo hardware. I do enjoy buying books from them though for the most part and I'm satisfied with their smartphone apps. I think of all the companies, Kobo has the most ardent supporters and passionate detractors - going by forum posts anyways.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I think of all the companies, Kobo has the most ardent supporters and passionate detractors - going by forum posts anyways.
The strange part about that is in a lot of cases they are one and the same. I am in many ways very supportive of Kobo, I'd recommend their products based on the physical engineering of the devices and their approach to continued support and updates to older models which contribute to greater product longevity. OTOH, the product is so good that the bugs they do have are very frustrating against that background. It is so aggravating to see them fall short of a truly stellar product due to a number of little issues which come across as "feet of clay" at times.

I don't think I'm alone in this, and I think many who appear to be detractors are really otherwise happy customers merely frustrated at the little things.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Can you please post your thoughts/observations about the AURA. I am dying to get feedback from a real person who uses these devices. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tech Reviews but I really find more value in someone like yourself providing your thoughts on the device.

I am a die hard Kindle fan (since my first one in 2009) - however this AURA is the first front lit device that I have seen that has significantly peaked my interest. I wasn't that excited about the Kindle Paperwhite but this looks really promising. Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and CONGRATS on your new toy!

So far ... I love it. Set up and reading within 10 minutes of receiving it. Page turns are smooth and fast. Home screen is nice. The library listing is better than the GLO (you can read the whole title which helps for me with book # of #). I have the page refresh set to every 6 pages and have yet to notice any ghosting. I am using the KOBO nickel font and it seems to be fine with both bold and italics. The touch screen is very responsive, no need to double tap, and it doesn't jump forward 2 pages at a time that I have noticed.

So far I have no complaints. The only thing I would change if I could is the plastic they made it with, I prefer the rubbery stuff of the GLO.

When my mom held it her first words were "its very light". She uses an IPad on a regular basis though, not an ereader. It is definitely heavier than my GLO but not heavy at all.

It is probably a tiny bit bigger than the original KOBO, because it fits, albeit snugly, in my original sleeve.

I am glad that I purchased it, and would purchase again if given the choice.

I hope this helps.

S
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Love your little dog too!
I loved that dog as well, such a sweet boy. Miss him dearly sometimes . Having a new puppy though helps take my mind off of him, but doesn't leave me nearly enough time to read!

S
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Granted I only have one Kobo product: Kobo WiFi. But even that should say a lot. It is everything I need and more (the WiFi part is the "more").

I am so happy with it, that I have zero other eInk reading devices.

When this device finally dies due to physical destruction not brought on itself on purpose, or a dead and not replaceable battery, its replacement will be a Kobo, too.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I love my Kobo Glo and have ordered the Aura from WHSmiths as well. My Mum has the Kobo Touch which I gave her as a Xmas gift the year it came out. She loves her Kobo, still uses her other (as well as my other) ereaders but it's safe to say the Kobo is her firm favourite even though she uses the Kindle Touch quite a bit to consume her Kindle content.

I believe in having options. So when Kindle was released at a reasonable price point I bought one - more than one - the same with Kobo. I own a Vox, a Glo and soon *fingers crossed* an Aura which my Mum is eyeing up already!!

People, myself included, tend to forget to share the 'good' about products/services as vocally as they share the 'bad'. Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it. I'm trying to improve my bad habit of not balancing out the bad/niggles/problems I vent about with the things I like or even love about all products and services now.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i love my Kobo and am very happy with it.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have seen so much venom spewed at Kobo, that I went away for a while. Even before the update to 2.5.0, my thought had been that even if I never saw another update, I would be very happy with my reader.

I paid full price for a touch 2 years ago and it is still going strong. I expect it will easily last another 2 and I am likely to want a replacement long before I need a replacement. in all, I think I got a a very fair deal.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
So far ... I love it. Set up and reading within 10 minutes of receiving it. Page turns are smooth and fast. Home screen is nice. The library listing is better than the GLO (you can read the whole title which helps for me with book # of #). I have the page refresh set to every 6 pages and have yet to notice any ghosting. I am using the KOBO nickel font and it seems to be fine with both bold and italics. The touch screen is very responsive, no need to double tap, and it doesn't jump forward 2 pages at a time that I have noticed.

So far I have no complaints. The only thing I would change if I could is the plastic they made it with, I prefer the rubbery stuff of the GLO.

When my mom held it her first words were "its very light". She uses an IPad on a regular basis though, not an ereader. It is definitely heavier than my GLO but not heavy at all.

It is probably a tiny bit bigger than the original KOBO, because it fits, albeit snugly, in my original sleeve.

I am glad that I purchased it, and would purchase again if given the choice.

I hope this helps.

S
Have you tried reading any side-loaded content on it, like EPUBs? If so, are you able to change the line spacing, margins, etc.?
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Seeing it is is using the same code base as all other Kobo's I really doubt there will be any new issue in changing spacing / margins etc; any issues that do exist will be the exact same as found on the other Kobo eInk based products.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Mostly Math,

I think TechniSol had summarized it very well: from an hardware point of view, Kobo's devices in general are good, but not perfectly refined (e.g. the micro usb slot has no door).

Problems are mostly with software: from a firmware to another, we gain and lost at the same time. This is not crucial (the chess game is not working since 2.4), but just annoying (e.g. long paragraphs that split the screen erratically).

For one important thing, Kobo is really lucky: to have a very good community here, trying to help, pointing out not only problems, but also solutions.

I don't hate Kobo, but generally I like people using it more.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Have you tried reading any side-loaded content on it, like EPUBs? If so, are you able to change the line spacing, margins, etc.?
At the moment calibre is not seeing my AURA, so I can't sideload books If there is another way to sideload let me know and I will try it.

S