Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #316
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Maybe I will try the modded version of Charis SIL, but it has to be modded big time in that case. I've downloaded the normal unmodded version, but I really don't like it. Some letters such as "k" look really weird. Just as many fonts do in Linux, the "<"-part of the letter is very, very thin. Other letters such as "o" and "b" and so on have problems with the round parts.

If I would replace Caecilia, then it would be by a version of DejaVu Serif with added weight. If I can find a freeware/open source font editor to easily do that.

Oh; and Trebuchet is part of any Windows installation. Don't know if it's on the Mac too, but it probably is: it's a core web font. Because of that, you can find it basically everywhere, allthough it's not officially free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fo...Included_fonts

It is a font designed for reading on screen, just as Verdana is. (Verdana 10 has been my default Windows GUI font like forever now, but I find it too broad/round for long texts.)

The fact that Trebuchet is designed for low-DPI screens, is probably also the reason why it needs some more weight on the Kindle. The lines are thinner than expected, as the Kindle has higher dpi/ppi than the screens Trebuchet was designed for.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #317
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe I will try the modded version of Charis SIL, but it has to be modded big time in that case. I've downloaded the normal unmodded version, but I really don't like it. Some letters such as "k" look really weird. Just as many fonts do in Linux, the "<"-part of the letter is very, very thin. Other letters such as "o" and "b" and so on have problems with the round parts.

If I would replace Caecilia, then it would be by a version of DejaVu Serif with added weight. If I can find a freeware/open source font editor to easily do that.
One clue I can give you is if the font has a semibold version you can use that as the regular. You just have to do a bit of editing metadata which you can do for free using Type Light 3.2. The link is in the thread and there is instructions on how to change classification on a font to work on the PW.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #318
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The fact that Trebuchet is designed for low-DPI screens, is probably also the reason why it needs some more weight on the Kindle. The lines are thinner than expected, as the Kindle has higher dpi/ppi than the screens Trebuchet was designed for.
All I did was add weight to it and it looks great on the PW. I keep searching for a free method that will allow weight change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_29T22_05_59-0501.png
Views:	352
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	100313  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
All I did was add weight to it and it looks great on the PW. I keep searching for a free method that will allow weight change.
There is a free solution. FontForge is it. But under Windows you'll have to install Cygwin. The Windows compiled version crashes in the blink of an eye. The link below is how to install Cygwin and FontForge under Windows.

http://www.useragentman.com/blog/201...e-for-windows/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #320
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a free solution. FontForge is it. But under Windows you'll have to install Cygwin. The Windows compiled version crashes in the blink of an eye.

http://www.useragentman.com/blog/201...e-for-windows/
I meant besides FontForge. I just got rid of cygwin. No thank you. I don't want it back. Uninstalling it is a pain in the patooty.
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #321
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I meant besides FontForge. I just got rid of cygwin. No thank you. I don't want it back. Uninstalling it is a pain in the patooty.
That is the only free solution I can think of for Windows.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #322
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nicenezzz... I might actually try to read a book using that font even though it's not a serif. It seems to look nice and fat. (Fatter even, as I'm seeing this image full screen on a tablet.) I also encountered TypeLight, but it can't change weights.

Also, I've tried FontForge. As with most non-major open source software I encounter, it feels like a cathedral built on top of a shed's foundation. (Read: a bewildering array of options in a 1980's GUI.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #323
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm working on Charis SIL Modified and Charis SIL Compact and will have them both ready for release later today.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #324
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Looking forward to seeing them, Jon!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #325
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I finally found another nice Serif font. I am so picky, I use this one on Pocket Pro when I had it. I added some weight and it looks really nice on this Kindle. There are two versions It's called Gentium Basic & Gentium Book Basic. It's under the same license as Charis SIL so I think I can share if you like. PM me if you like to try it.

Tested on the KF8 and it looks fine as far as I can tell.
I've modified Gentium Book Basic to be a tad bigger. I found the original size at 5 a bit too tiny at times. PM if you want to try the new version.

Attached: Shots of original and resize version so you can see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBookBasicSize5.png
Views:	316
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	100348   Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBookSize5.png
Views:	310
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	100349  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #326
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm working on Charis SIL Modified and Charis SIL Compact and will have them both ready for release later today.
I just installed the regular Charis SIL and love it! Very curious to see the modified version, too.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #327
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've finished with the Compact and Modified versions of Charis SIL. I hope everyone enjoys.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

The Compact has less of a line space then the Modified. The line space effects how they look in KF8. So pick the one you like best.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #328
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I wish I could figure out how to add line spacing to Caecilia in a mobi book. It's too tight even with the last line spacing option set. The original Kindle Caecilia has more line spacing but it must be some internal setting on the Kindle because the actual font is closer together.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #329
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

You have not enough line spacing on the largest setting? Wow. You sure like it wide.

I have it set to the smallest spacing.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #330
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
You have not enough line spacing on the largest setting? Wow. You sure like it wide.

I have it set to the smallest spacing.
No the actually Caecilia font displays differently than the Caecilia option on the Kindle. Once you extract the font and add weight to it and put it back the line spacing is ridiculously small compare to one on the actually Kindle.

Get this Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed are exactly the same font! The same size, the same weight, Identical but if you select it on your Kindle they look really different. So there some sort of settings they use to make the Caecilia have more line spacing and make the condensed version look smaller when the actually font file they are the same.