Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
quebeckerin
Enthusiast
quebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litter

Device: libre
Aluratek no longer opens Adobe Digital library books

Hello,
Until recently I have had no problem reading library books on my Aluratek Libre Pro. Today, though, when I tried to download a library book using Adobe Digital Editions, I kept getting an ioError message. The file wouldn't copy. I then tried copying the file directly from the 'My Digital Editions' folder to the 'Digital Editions' folder on my Aluratek. It copied all right. However, when I try to open it, I get a 'failed to open file' message. Another point--when I connect my Aluratek now, Adobe Digital Editions asks me to authorize it (which I do), every single time I connect, even when I click 'don't ask again.'
Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
quebeckerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK if nobody with more recent ADE experience is available, I might be able to help
track down the problem.

First, have there been any major changes to your system or your install of ADE, since
when you were last able to download and read library books?

Can you read the library books in ADE on your PC?

When in ADE on your PC, do you have your ALP listed and can you select that entry and
have it show the books ADE is managing for your device?

The copy of the ebook in your "My Digital Editions" folder on your PC contains the file as
it is downloaded from the internet.

The ADE program on your PC must be "Authorized" before it can "Authorize" devices. (It
may be that something has occurred that changed or removed that "Authorization".)
All the "Authorizations" must have been made based on the same "AdobeID" and the
ebook purchase must also have that same "AdobeID" referenced somehow.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

Thanks, Ken,
I chatted online with the help people at Adobe and got a partial solution to my problem. The requests to authorize and re-authorize my device stopped, after the help desk guy told me how to de-authorize the Libre Pro. I still can't download a library book directly to my Aluratek, though. I still get an ioError message. The Adobe guy couldn't help me with that. However, I've figured out a way to sideload the file and get it to open.
In answer to your questions: yes, I can read the file on my PC, so that wasn't the problem. I hadn't changed my computer, only bought myself a new Aluratek Libre Pro. Yes, the Aluratek shows in ADE. But when you drag a file to it, a window pops up, saying ioError.
Anyway, now that I can sideload, I'm pretty happy. Thanks for helping, Ken. You're the only one who seems to answer questions!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

By the way, Ken, I've just asked my local library about this, (because the Adobe help guy told me to) and they say the Aluratek Libre Pro is not supported by Overdrive. However, as I said, I can sideload the books just fine. But do you think they (Overdrive or Adobe) make the direct download impossible, because they object to the fact that the Aluratek doesn't have a clock and the files don't expire on their own?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could be right, the ALP has been able to use Overdrive Library files for a long time
but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they had Adobe "update" ADE in a way that
might exclude the old direct support that has been there.

I don't personally borrow ebooks from a library.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Same here!
DRM is one pain in the behind, for everyone, especially the honest customers!
It really does nothing to the pirates, who convert the book before the DRM wears out!

It's yet another failed experiment, just like DVD copy protection.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
quebeckerin,

if you are allowed, can you describe your "sideloading" process. Did you transfer the files to the SD card?
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

Hello Petechan,
Please don't take my technical vocabulary too seriously, as I am no computer expert. All I meant was--after I have opened a library book, using Adobe Digital Editions, on my PC, I then go into the file "My Digital Editions" (also on my PC)--and the epub book from the library is there. I then right click on it and copy it to the file "Digital Editions" on my ebook reader's SD card. After that, the file will open properly.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

ADE is a little confusing with what it can do with the files for your ebook purchase, depending upon the different stores or free sites that you get the book from.

Often the file that you download from the purchase site is not an .epub but an .ascm
which you need to double click on to open the file with the ADE program on your PC.
ADE can then download (into "My Digital Editions" folder) the actual .epub that is keyed
to your Adobe ID. If you can read the .epub file when it is in your devices "Digital
Editions" folder (For the ALP, in the internal memory) then your device is using the same
Adobe ID as your ADE PC program. You should also be able to move the .epub file to
your SD card and into any folder you wish, and it still be readable. (Many have their
ebook libraries, on their SD cards in various catagories, and by authors.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Thanks,

So far my two Libre's are still working fine, I even bought another one in reserve in case one of these conks out. Never been tempted with the other e-readers that have a clock. If I want more color and backlighting, I can always use my ipad. I haven't even updated the firmware from 0.18g, since I did not want to risk having to re-authorize it using ADE.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote