Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
daveh19
daveh19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle - Optionally not saving an item in online library

Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a couple of months now and in particular have been using the news feeds most days. This means I have about 8 documents being sent to my device, at least on weekdays. Because I occasionally want to make sure that I don't lose a copy of a book accidentally I have Amazon setup to archive all of the documents which I send to the Kindle via email. But Amazon make it incredibly difficult to delete these documents and I really don't need hundreds of news documents going back months.

So is it possible to get Calibre to support an Amazon option whereby they do/don't archive a particular document? It seems that the Send to Kindle program suports this feature.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other sensible suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Dave.
daveh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Someone would have to reverse engineer send to kindle or amazon would have to tell us what APIs it uses. In either of those eventualities I will be happy to add that functionality to calibre, but I dont have the time to reverse engineer/pester amaon myself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
daveh19

Thanks Kovid. I've already begun the pestering. I might try the reverse engineering myself but won't have time to do it for the next month at least. (If they use email to do the upload it would be very easy to sniff the packet information - just a suggestion for anyone who has the time to try right now... )
Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh19 View Post
Thanks Kovid. I've already begun the pestering. I might try the reverse engineering myself but won't have time to do it for the next month at least. (If they use email to do the upload it would be very easy to sniff the packet information - just a suggestion for anyone who has the time to try right now... )
No email. A quick peek with Wireshark tells me it's HTTPS.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Not what you were asking for, but you can use this bookmarklet posted by thomass on your Manage Your Kindle page to delete a page at a time, which should make deleting the unwanted news documents a bit easier.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
daveh19

Oh wow, that definitely fills the gap for me. Thanks Synamon.

I guess the idea of adding the feature to Calibre is dead in the water unless Amazon tells us their API call. I can't think of an easy way of getting around the https call (even the hard ways I can think of are probably secured against).

I've contacted amazon customer service a few times about this issue, they're passing my 'constructive' suggestions on to their engineering teams.

Tags
archiving, feature request, kindle, newsfeeds