Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #181
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
NOWHERE is written, to put it in root ..., just

1. Plug your Kindle to your computer
2. Copy update_jbpatch-*.install.bin directly onto the Kindle device
(i.e., not into any sub-directory)
3. Copy the entire directory named "opt" directly to your device.
This directory (more specifically, the "jbpatch" subdirectory)
contains and controls the patches that are actually active on
your device. Consult opt/jbpatch/CONFIG.TXT for more information
about how patches are applied.
4. Restart your Kindle using Menu > Settings, Menu > Update.
5. If you do not see all the expected results directly after the
installation, reboot your Kindle once more.

Pls, how to make it more clear? Just read and do what is written in the instructions.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #182
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thanks, diba.

Yes, if you read 2. and 3. in context, it should be clear that "directly on the device" means the USB root. In other words: If you managed to perform 2. correctly, then why not 3.?

Plus, this is of course meant to also be installable by the average end user, who isnt't able to copy files onto the real root fs.

For the geeks: Note that I'm always speaking of "opt", never "/opt". If I actually meant /opt, I would have written so.

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #183
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post

Pls, how to make it more clear? Just read and do what is written in the instructions.
I can see how that list of steps could be misunderstood by a non-technically experienced user.
There are two machines involved in the instructions.

Starting with #1 : Plug your Kindle to your computer
Presumes "USB storage" mode.
Some people might have "USB net - AUTO" installed.

Since the apparent "root" of the USB storage mode and the actual "root" of the Kindle's filesystem are not the same...
The clearity of the directions begins to de-grade at that point unless you are an expert in Kindle/Linux.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #184
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

A "non-technically experienced user" would never-ever have "USB net - AUTO" installed or enabled. He would even not be aware of other options than the USB-storage mode.

Knowing ixtabs hacks since the beginning as well as a lot of other hacks from others, if it is/was necessary to put files anywhere but the "USB-storage-root" it always was clearly indicated.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #185
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You asked, I answered, nobody has to agree with me that those directions can be misleading to some users.
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #186
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks, diba.

Yes, if you read 2. and 3. in context, it should be clear that "directly on the device" means the USB root. In other words: If you managed to perform 2. correctly, then why not 3.?

Plus, this is of course meant to also be installable by the average end user, who isnt't able to copy files onto the real root fs.

For the geeks: Note that I'm always speaking of "opt", never "/opt". If I actually meant /opt, I would have written so.

True, if you know what your reading.
But what "average end user" can spot the difference between "opt" and "/opt" ?

Keep in mind, the "average end user" here is probably only familar with a multi-root OS that labels the roots with C:, D:, etc.

It might be possible to convince me that those directions are as clear as they could possibly be, but at this point in the conversation I still think they could be improved.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #187
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

If you want to make it clear, use just this:

2. Copy update_jbpatch-*.install.bin AND the entire directory named "opt" directly onto the Kindle device.
3. Restart your Kindle using Menu > Settings, Menu > Update.
4. If you do not see all the expected results directly after the

The "opt" directory (more specifically, the "jbpatch" subdirectory)

That would have been just good for me. The extra step made me to mount the root partition r/w and copy those files on Kindle's /opt partition...
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #188
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRicharD View Post
That would have been just good for me. The extra step made me to mount the root partition r/w and copy those files on Kindle's /opt partition...
Reads better to me also.
Maybe the author will consider making that change.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #189
diba
Addict

OK, probably even more clear. Especially for the ones knowing that there is a "opt" folder deeper in the system.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #190
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you want to make it clear, use just this:

2. Copy update_jbpatch-*.install.bin AND the entire directory named "opt" directly onto the Kindle device.
3. Restart your Kindle using Menu > Settings, Menu > Update.
4. If you do not see all the expected results directly after the

The "opt" directory (more specifically, the "jbpatch" subdirectory)

Thanks for the suggestion (and for providing constructive criticism)!

I'll check this version in, but I don't know when a new release of the actual framework will be available.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #191
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
True, if you know what your reading.
But what "average end user" can spot the difference between "opt" and "/opt" ?

Keep in mind, the "average end user" here is probably only familar with a multi-root OS that labels the roots with C:, D:, etc.

It might be possible to convince me that those directions are as clear as they could possibly be, but at this point in the conversation I still think they could be improved.
An average end user will not even know that an /opt directory may exist outside of what he perceives as "the Kindle". Come on, either you speak of an experienced Linux user with auto-usbnetwork on, and he IS able to spot the difference between a relative and an absolute path (and should be able to correlate steps 2. and 3.), or you don't.

You are free to suggest improvements. Instead, all you do is split hairs in a way which is even internally inconsistent, and then say "it's bad, and it's even getting worse afterwards". That is the exact opposite of the constructive criticism which I gladly take into account.

End of rant.

Last edited by ixtab; 06-01-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #192
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Another question that you might know the answer... is there a way to add the MP3 player and the browser to the Launcher menu?
The browser is no problem at all. Just write a tiny launcher extension which runs the command "/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.browser".

For the MP3 player, it's probably a tad more difficult, because it's (seemingly) only accessible through the Java API, and not directly via LIPC (I may well be wrong though).

Then again, tapping "Menu" -> "Launcher" -> "Browser", and tapping "Menu" -> "Experimental" -> "Browser" is exactly the same amount of clicks
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #193
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
For the MP3 player, it's probably a tad more difficult, because it's (seemingly) only accessible through the Java API, and not directly via LIPC (I may well be wrong though).
I investigated a bit some times ago. All I found is this:

Code:
lipc-set-prop -- com.lab126.mediaplayer control (0=exit 1=next 2=previous 3=pause 4=play)
lipc-set-prop -- com.lab126.mediaplayer volume ( 0 to 15) sets volume
and other similar commands. I didn't find anything to open MP3 player using LIPC.

Last edited by silver18; 06-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #194
elRicharD
Enthusiast
elRicharD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
ixtab, you are welcome. I would feel bad if after all you are doing for the community I mistreated you somehow... jbpatch kicks a serious amount of ass you deserve all the help I can offer.

I will implement a nice Launcher link to have the browser there. I like to have all the links there, it is faster than the Experimental menu... and also appears first on the list

The mp3 player sucks big time, there are lots of room for improvement there. It can't be equalized or playlisted or anything... I will see if I can come up with something for it.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, if I have some time I will investigate and come back with something. It would be lovely if we could port mpg123 with a frontend to the KT...
elRicharD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #195
diba
Addict

If you want quick Browser access, why not using "replacing the shop button" version? Works excellent and is done in a minute.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178752

Last edited by diba; 06-01-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks