Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
CNET: Retina Display iPad vs. e-ink Kindle: Which do I prefer for reading?

Interesting article:

Retina Display iPad vs. e-ink Kindle: Which do I prefer for reading?
Can the new iPad's high-resolution display compete with e-ink? It's apples and oranges, so to speak.

Text on the Kindle still feels equal to the new iPad in terms of clarity, despite a resolution advantage for the iPad. My 6-inch Kindle has a screen resolution of 600x800 pixels and 167 dpi (dots per inch). The third-gen iPad's resolution is 2,048x1,536 pixels with 264 dpi. Despite the difference in screen size, the iPad is still leaps and bounds ahead. Yet, I hardly ever notice my e-ink Kindle's resolution limitations like I did on my larger-screened iPad 2 (which had a lower 132 dpi). Would I need a "Retina Display" for my Kindle? I'm not sure. It certainly couldn't hurt, but the lower resolution on a smaller e-ink screen bothers me less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipadkindle01_610x458.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	85083  
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The picture of the iPad is very poor and given that the app in use is iBooks, the margins looks ridiculous. I can customize Bluefire such that it would look much better then iBooks. I feel that in order to make the comparison, you have to put the best view forward and the view of that iPad is just silly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Even just looking at that photo, I much prefer the e-ink for reading.

I'm not sure for most folks the decision is based on resolution....I think for most its LCD backlight vs. e-ink.

I am interested to see where the soft blue backlighting for e-ink goes in the near future.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$499 iPad vs $79 Kindle

hmmm ...that's a tough one
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$499 iPad vs $79 Kindle

So true
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If you are reading normal fiction at medium font sizes then while the iPad 3 display is nicer than other LCD displays, I don't it would be significant enough to switch from something else to, and if you already preferred eInk, I don't think it would change your mind.
Where it really shines is magazines and newspapers, where the higher resolution allows you to read a full page without zooming.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I just picked up my new iPad on Friday. I've been reading on it daily since then. So far, I still prefer my Kindle (and other eink devices). I just don't care for the backlighting while reading a novel. However, the new display is fantastic for magazines and other apps.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$499 iPad vs $79 Kindle

Hmm. 6 Kindles, 1 iPad. Decisions, decisions...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Hmm. 6 Kindles, 1 iPad. Decisions, decisions...
1 Kindle/Nook/Sony + 100 ebooks would be my choice.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
The new iPad has terrific resolution and is a really nice upgrade (for me) from the first generation iPad. But I still prefer the Kindle for book reading.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey57 View Post
The new iPad has terrific resolution and is a really nice upgrade (for me) from the first generation iPad. But I still prefer the Kindle for book reading.
I agree, as far as books are concerned. I prefer magazines on the iPad.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I still prefer my Kindle 3 to my iPad 3. Although the iPad 3 has narrowed the gap.

When I had an iPad 2, if I couldn't use my Kindle I'd read on my phone as opposed to the iPad - the better resolution of the phone trumped the better size of the iPad. I couldn't stand reading more than a couple of pages on the iPad 2, even though I would happily read for 30 minutes or so on my phone.

I like the iPad 3 better than my phone now, and can happily read on it for a while. But I still prefer the e-ink of the Kindle.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
Does anybody know the specs for ebook covers for retina displays?
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Regardless of the resolution of the iPad 3, I prefer reading on my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I've got a 5" PRS-350 so pixel density on that is higher compared to most 6" readers. Definitely still prefer the PRS-350 for reading fiction.

However, reading on the new iPad isn't atrocious anymore. I couldn't stand using the iPad 2 for recreational reading because of the low pixel density. With the new iPad, I can read on it in a pinch if I don't have any other device I can use. I'd still gravitate to my PRS-350 or iPhone/iPod Touch if those are available but iBooks in landscape mode on the iPad is an acceptable alternative (for short periods of time, in medium lighting conditions).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote