Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Prime: How to lend a book on the Fire?

Well, maybe I'm simply stupid, but how can you lend a book from the "Kindle Owners library" on the Fire?

When I look at the explanation, it only has screenshots for the eInk devices, and I did not find any menu entry.

Also, how can I lend a book I have bought to somebody else?

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 12-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe that any of the "Kindle for <whatever>" Apps support lending at the present time, including the Fire.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, guess it's a case of me being stupid.

When I researched that yesterday, there was no screenshot of how it is supposed to look on the fire, now if I go to this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000739811

... then there's also a screenshot how it is supposed to look on the Fire. Must try that out when I get home to my access point today.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
OK, guess it's a case of me being stupid.

When I researched that yesterday, there was no screenshot of how it is supposed to look on the fire, now if I go to this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000739811

... then there's also a screenshot how it is supposed to look on the Fire. Must try that out when I get home to my access point today.

Best regards,
Andy
Ah, now you're asking a different question. You asked how to lend a book, not how to borrow one!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Yeah, if you're asking how to get a book from the "Lending Library" it's very easy; on the Fire, go to the books tab and then go to the store. On the right side there is a Lending Library option, and you can browse through the books there by genre, bestselling, etc. Choose a book that you want to read and if you have an available credit, a "borrow" button will be there next to the "buy" button. Once you borrow a book you have as long as you like to read it, but it only stays on your device until you borrow another book - only one book may be borrowed at any time. You get a new Lending Library credit on the first of every month. Borrowed books are more restricted, but you can still read them on multiple Kindle devices in the same family (linked to the same Amazon account).
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Andy_T
Evangelist

Sorry, should have been more clear, I want to do BOTH!

First I want to borrow a book (have now successfully borrowed "The Hunger Games").

But I was told it is also possible to lend a book to some other Kindle user?

Best regards,
Andy
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've loaned books from the website, but I don't think it's possible to do it from the device itself.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I think you could lend a book from the Fire just using the browser, no?

The whole lending feature is so locked down by the publishers it's practically pointless. As far as I'm concerned if I bought a digital book, fair use permits me to loan it out, at least with family members. I have no qualms about stripping the DRM to do so.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I think you could lend a book from the Fire just using the browser, no?
Actually, now that you mention it, yes, there's a "Loan this Title" option under Actions on the Kindle Library page. So, I guess you can do it, just not from the Fire's bookshelf.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote