Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Amazon Kindle: More signs that it will be released soon

We have been expecting the Amazon Kindle e-ink e-book reader around Oct 15. Nobody seems to know if it will look like the pictures we have seen previously (ugly), but it's highly anticipated because of the Amazon name and their ownership of MobiPocket, with the associated huge catalog of book titles. The rumors indicate that wireless book purchasing may be in the mix, as well as an onboard keyboard.

Even more confirmations have appeared in the form of Kindle books for sale at Amazon. Engadget is reporting that there are Kindle Edition titles showing up. The example they give is set to a hefty price of about $54, but I'm sure that mass paperback titles will be more reasonable. At least after launch.

One cannot help but feel that the new devices are a sign of e-book market progress, especially when considering those from major companies like Sony and Amazon and Panasonic. We might find that we have had the whole chicken and the egg thing wrong after all - maybe the first step is not the DRM and format solution. Maybe what's going to really drive the market expansion is the popular devices as they become affordable.

Thanks to our members anotherchance and Studio717 for the tip.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Even more confirmations have appeared in the form of Kindle books for sale at Amazon. Engadget is reporting that there are Kindle Edition titles showing up. The example they give is set to a hefty price of about $54, but I'm sure that mass paperback titles will be more reasonable. At least after launch.
Many of the Mass Market PB's on their site that have a corresponding Kindle edition are cheaper than the print version at least they were. I was going to link to Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs as example as it had a Kindle edition listed earlier for 5 something, vs. $8 for the pb, but it looks like they pulled the listing.

The one Engadget shows is a textbook which of course costs more.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
snip

We might find that we have had the whole chicken and the egg thing wrong after all - maybe the first step is not the DRM and format solution. Maybe what's going to really drive the market expansion is the popular devices as they become affordable.

snip
I think the solution has to be end-to-end, as it was in the music market. It has to include:

- an affordable, easy-to-use and effective device for reading (like the iPod was for music)

- an affordable, easy-to-use marketplace to acquire content, with reasonable or no DRM (like iTunes and its store's not-too-hostile DRM)

- a user-friendly and efficient means to manage content (again, like iTunes)

All of these pieces have to demonstrate such a clear value for the consumer that it will get them to choose deeply-ingrained habits.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The prices have been taken down.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I guess Amazon noticed that we noticed...^^
Or maybe it was a test to see how we'd react to their pricing. Now they are holding a conference and adjusting the prices...
Might be wishful thinking, but who knows. A big Player like Amazon would know that we're watching for stuff like these "Kindle Editions" and could use the "first-reactions" as a test to see how people react to their pricing scheme.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanacsa View Post
I think the solution has to be end-to-end, as it was in the music market. It has to include:

- an affordable, easy-to-use and effective device for reading (like the iPod was for music)
Check (sort of. affordable is relative.)

Quote:
- an affordable, easy-to-use marketplace to acquire content, with reasonable or no DRM (like iTunes and its store's not-too-hostile DRM)
Almost check

Quote:
- a user-friendly and efficient means to manage content (again, like iTunes)
Probably check (pending the new version)

Quote:
All of these pieces have to demonstrate such a clear value for the consumer that it will get them to choose deeply-ingrained habits.
Check (for me, anyway)

On this scale, Sony just about has it in the bag.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
And, most of all, they have to show that they're going to offer things we want to read. Don't bother me with a few tens of thousands of titles filled with public domain texts, works by desperate authors who will sign most any contract, and a few bestsellers to make it look nice. I want to see some real content forthcoming!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
And, most of all, they have to show that they're going to offer things we want to read. Don't bother me with a few tens of thousands of titles filled with public domain texts, works by desperate authors who will sign most any contract, and a few bestsellers to make it look nice. I want to see some real content forthcoming!
Have you taken a look at MobiPocket or Fictionwise? You'll certainly find "real content" there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Check (sort of. affordable is relative.)
Yeah... they still seem too high to me. C'mon, sub-$200... $150...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Okay, there's real content there, Harry, but thirty or forty thousand just isn't enough, frankly. Amazon has 9.9 million, if you can believe a total with a blank search. I can buy nearly everything there that I have wanted to buy. Undoubtedly half of these are duplicates or something else. Still, we're talking millions instead of tens of thousands. At Mobipocket and Fictionwise and even Sony Connect, I see books I'm interested in, but there few that I would want to buy. The intersection between their offerings and my pbook collection, for example, is still far, far less than 5% of my total based on my recent searches. If that's all we're going to see, then this is a fringe business at best and the readers we buy will be useful toys and perhaps little more.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you taken a look at MobiPocket or Fictionwise? You'll certainly find "real content" there.
Or PaperbackDigital or BooksOnBoard with both being cheaper then MobiPocket and Fictionwise.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Oddly enough, I went to Amazon today and searched on "Kindle", went to the electronics link, and there was an iLiad V2.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@VillageReader

The same thing happened to me. I saw the picture of the ereader there and for a microsecond thought "That lloks a lot like my Iliad" before I then saw that it actually IS and Iliad...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
Oddly enough, I went to Amazon today and searched on "Kindle", went to the electronics link, and there was an iLiad V2.
I know. It's been there for a few days. I almost posted a link to that search result. But it's not 1 April so I didn't.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Wouldn't it make things interesting if the Kindle is a special edition Iliad pointing to Amazon's update site rather than iRex'?
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote