Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
What we need here is a torrent or web site where the update files can be made available in case the entourage servers go dark...
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
What we need here is a torrent or web site where the update files can be made available in case the entourage servers go dark...
I'd be fine with hosting them on my site, I'll try to download them later and then put them up somewhere...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

I made a torrent but I'm reluctant to start seeding it due to potential legal issues.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
I made a torrent but I'm reluctant to start seeding it due to potential legal issues.
I don't think there would be any legal issue, it was hosted unencrypted openly and for free anyway. Plus, I don't think that they have the kind of capital right now to start a law suit anyway, though these forums might not like it, most people associate every torrent with illegal acts, even though it is used by many legitimate companies to reduce server loads.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist

Well, I'll start seeding it if there's anyone out there who will do likewise. It needs to spread to as many seeder machines as possible to ensure future availability and high speed DL.

File size is 383 MB and includes the dingo ("golden") and ermine updates plus instructions on how to use them, plus pdf and epub versions of the user guide. The file does not contain anything for the EE.

Here's a link to the torrent file:
http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent

My computer is on and connected almost 24/7 except when windows insists on shutting down to apply a security bandaid.

If Entourage happens to release a final version of froyo (yah, sure, youbetcha!) I'll pull this torrent and update the files before reseeding the torrent.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 05-30-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
As a side note, and I'm not going to test this myself (hopefully someone with 2 may do it) it looks like if you change a line in the update.sh in the update file you can turn 0.9 into a golden update.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #22
Dcubed
Dcubed began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, hopefully
Will this work for me in a month? I often have problems getting connected to anything through my EE here in China and was hoping against hope that Entourage would make it until July and I could get the Ermine update.

I'll be back in the US June 25, and can try things but I am not terribly tech savvy and don't want to break my EE. I hope someone can help!
Dcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #23
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
if its not working people here will have the file and something can be figured out.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Updates

FYI . . .

You absolutely can use the Ermine update.zip to flash your Edge. I actually needed to do it after I messed up my system by screwing around with the permissions section. However, the update appears to REQUIRE Dingo to already be installed. So, if you screw up your Ermine build, you need to flash back to Dingo and then flash again to Ermine.

So, just so everybody knows, I managed to get my system working with just the update.zip files.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
FYI . . .

You absolutely can use the Ermine update.zip to flash your Edge. I actually needed to do it after I messed up my system by screwing around with the permissions section. However, the update appears to REQUIRE Dingo to already be installed. So, if you screw up your Ermine build, you need to flash back to Dingo and then flash again to Ermine.

So, just so everybody knows, I managed to get my system working with just the update.zip files.
This may be due to what yugami was saying, in that this is not a golden update, I may try and do what he suggested to see if we can make it golden(and therefore not need Dingo in order to apply it).
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
On the chance that they might be useful, I put some files on Stinky, my little living-room server:

http://dustyfeet.com/edge

namely, the two ermine updates (ee and pocket - you'll have to figure out which is which from the file names) plus Mark Rehorst's (Mark: your avatar is MAJOR CREEPY) nice pocket-edge pack. I'm seeding the torrent for the latter as well, although not many others are, and my torrent server isn't up 24/7. Stinky is always up, except for maintenance reboots, and once when the power cord got pulled and I didn't notice for some hours; so people could just download from there (download speed should be ok because of FiOs line).

If there are other things that people want to park there (permanently or not), let me know. I'm not a hacker, but at least can donate server space.
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #27
Aarimus
Aarimus began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
This reply is in response to lorenzoens over here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?2059
Hopefully he will find it.

To install the update:
The steps are the same as downgrading from Ermine to Dingo. (https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...leid=263&nav=0)
1. Download the file and rename it to update.zip
2. place the file in the root of a FAT32 USB flash drive (I think a SD card will work too)
3. With the Edge off and the flash drive plugged in, hold down the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
4. Power on the Edge while continuing to hold Menu and ROTATE for 10 seconds.
5. Within 1 minute the Edge should start upgrading, the process will take a while, ~10 minutes, keep it plugged in.
6. The Edge will reboot when it is done.
I downloaded the file from the link labeled for Pocket Edge, renamed it to update.zip and put it in the root of a usb flash drive (does it matter that there are other files on the flash drive?), and followed these instructions, but it just powers on up without upgrading.

I have a pocket edge with:

Model number: edgejr
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.29 buildmaster@zeke #17
Build number: DINGO-1.13

Is there something else I need to do first before upgrading to Ermine?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Paul
Aarimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
Sound like you did everything right, but obviously you didn't. Other files on the root of the flashdrive don't matter - maybe the flash drive is formatted in some weird way that the entourage can't read? (This should be easy enough to test.) Otherwise, my guess would be you didn't hold the buttons correctly or long enough - you have to hold two buttons through the power-on cycle and then keep holding.
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
Aarimus

Is there any indicator I can look for to know when to let off the buttons? Do I hold them until it says it is upgrading?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
Aarimus

I've verified that the USB drive is using a FAT file system. I've tried holding the menu and rotate keys for 4-5 seconds as suggested on the enTourage Support Center, for 10 seconds as suggested here, and even held them down for nearly 2 minutes which only resulted in repeated reboots. After letting off of the two keys it always just boots up as normal.