Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newbie Questions about Froyo.

I have the nookand I love it.
With one, screaming exception-- the support for sideloaded PDF's, which is what I intended it for, is nearly non-existent.

Now, I have been thinking of rooting it with Froyo, and using one of the better PDF apps out there, but a few questions.

1. Froyo is on the SD card, so it doesn't harm the "main" operating system of the Nook color, correct? I can always just pull the SD card and set it back to the original system. I don't want to risk anything permanent happening.

2. What is the best pdf app out there right now? I mainly want to be able to see my bookmarks that were added to the pdf in acrobat pro, as well as a bit more speed.

3. Is there anything a newbie needs to know? I've never done this before, and I don't want to kill myshiny new Nook.
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post
I have the nookand I love it.
With one, screaming exception-- the support for sideloaded PDF's, which is what I intended it for, is nearly non-existent.

Now, I have been thinking of rooting it with Froyo, and using one of the better PDF apps out there, but a few questions.

1. Froyo is on the SD card, so it doesn't harm the "main" operating system of the Nook color, correct? I can always just pull the SD card and set it back to the original system. I don't want to risk anything permanent happening.

2. What is the best pdf app out there right now? I mainly want to be able to see my bookmarks that were added to the pdf in acrobat pro, as well as a bit more speed.

3. Is there anything a newbie needs to know? I've never done this before, and I don't want to kill myshiny new Nook.
1. yes
2. ezpdf or repligo
3. As long as you are simply messing with the sdcard you really cant damage anything.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Randomhero
Randomhero began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
you honestly dont need to root to a Froyo build. you can do any one of the AUtonooter/pre rooted 1.1 build and you will have the Android Comic Viewer (from the makret)
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
One other thing to note: while you can run Froyo from an SD card; and not affect the NC system at all, you need a FAST SD card (class 6). I have run it with a class 4, and although it was fun to play around with, performance at different points was unbearably slow. I suspect that even with a class 6 card, it wouldn't be satisfactory for long term use.

Rooting the stock system or running froyo off the onboard memory I think would be preferable for long term use.

One interesting note is that the Honeycomb that people are running of the SD card doesn't appear to suffer from as many performance isssues (speed wise) as long as its a fast card. Perhaps Froyo or even Gingerbread will run better off the SD card in a few more weeks as more improvements are made.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote