Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I emailed Ectaco a while back with a suggestion that they implement the use of the metadata that is in mobi, epub (and fb2?) and provide an option on how to sort the list.
Since the txt files are sorted by author and titile based on a specific formatted name, I don't know why epub and mobi is not currently handled the same way. Calibre sends the epub and mobi files formatted the way the included txt files are ... but sorting doesn't work for .eput and .mobi extensions only .txt. Seems like would be super easy to do for all files with appropriately formatted name.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
As I wrote before 33c firmware version has support for SDHC cards. jetBook works fine with my 8GB SDHC card now and I'm planning to purchase 16GB or 32GB SDHC from Transcend as soon as it will be less expensive.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #33
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

2) Justified text loses its setting and reverts back to left-justification if you leave that and open another text. Previously, everything worked ok.

3) The big, big disappointment: Many, many TXT files (the freebies that came on the Jetbook) now have all paragraphs into one big paragraph. This was one of the beauties of the Jetbook, in that TXT files could just be copied and pasted into the Jetbook's memory or onto a card.
I noticed the justified text bug as well.

As for the text, I figured it out: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" I was reading a post on how Calibre converts txt files and it follows this convention: merge single line breaks into one paragraph, but make double line breaks separate paragraphs. This seems to be how the jetBook is now working. It makes it handle the PG txt's quite nicely.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #34
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
As I wrote before 33c firmware version has support for SDHC cards. jetBook works fine with my 8GB SDHC card now and I'm planning to purchase 16GB or 32GB SDHC from Transcend as soon as it will be less expensive.
Whoa, awesome!

Now I just need to find 32GB worth of books...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #35
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham88 View Post
What is the whole "reflash_nor" thing?
Also why is there a wifi test option on the menu where you choose to reflash the nor? (the jetbook doesn't have wifi)
I would guess it's there for the Chinese reader Ectaco has that is like the jetBook, but with wireless.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating View Post
Thanks! I've been lurking for a while, and just got my Jetbook a week ago! So far I love it, but what would make me love it more is a Serif font! I've experimented with creating PDF's for it with the font I like, but I'm not having too much luck yet. I don't want to go off topic though-- with that said, I'll probably flash my firmware later today.
I've been successful with OpenOffice and it's Export to PDF... file option. For me the best page size is 101mmx128mm with 1mm margins... the ratio is about right, and you can tweak it to affect how large the font displays.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #37
Kralik
Guru

Could someone please check to see if there is a black area at the bottom of the screen with a little white hook in the lower-left corner in this new firmware? I'm seeing it on all but PDF files. If I'm the only one, I'd like to try reflashing.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #38
boating
boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boating has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I've been successful with OpenOffice and it's Export to PDF... file option. For me the best page size is 101mmx128mm with 1mm margins... the ratio is about right, and you can tweak it to affect how large the font displays.
thanks for the advice, will test tonight after work! also, I will check on the firmware screen tag you speak of and post later.
boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #39
iReader
iReader began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
@Kralik: Yup, I can see it too. It's because the files aren't using the whole screen, and it's a little cut off at the bottom. That "little white hook" in the lower left hand corner is actually the bottom of "y" in "by Author" from the previous page. Egh.....

Anyway, Glad to see HTML, SDHC card and dictionary support for all formats. Also, I can see italics now (It didn't always support italics, right?). Bold, underline and hyperlink support would be very nice for the next update

Oh, hi guys. Yet another JetBook owner emerging from the shadows. It's my first ebook reader and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
iReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #40
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReader View Post
@Kralik: Yup, I can see it too. It's because the files aren't using the whole screen, and it's a little cut off at the bottom. That "little white hook" in the lower left hand corner is actually the bottom of "y" in "by Author" from the previous page. Egh.....
Ah, acute observation! It's not that big of a deal, but it is a bug, so hopefully they will fix it.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
There ain't that many books in the world!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There ain't that many books in the world!
I for one wouldn't mind using the space to double for recordings and music.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #43
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I for one wouldn't mind using the space to double for recordings and music.
There ain't that many books and songs in the world, and I don't think the jetBook can play videos. But then again, there's no such thing as too much memory!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There ain't that many books and songs in the world, and I don't think the jetBook can play videos. But then again, there's no such thing as too much memory!
My small CD collection is 10GB or so in MP3's. But that's at 128k. Better quality and they would be 20GB+. And I suppose I could add in 12GB of my pictures... there ya go, 32GB! All in stunning greyscale!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't know WHAT I did, but I now have the Justified text as the default - for all my files. I no longer have to go in and change it every time I open a file. (The problem, previously, is that the Justified text was not "sticking"; now it's working perfectly! Go figure!)

I have NO idea what I did, but I did it.

If this is a bug, I "fixed" it on my Reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote