Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
French + English = Globish

For years the French Academy has been annoyed by English words creeping into their language. Now some of them have found a way to retaliate: they invented Globish.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/7844192.stm
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
that article reads like it were on The Onion
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
After all, if Globish really does take over the planet with its stunted business-speak, its bland insignificance, its cultureless access-for-all availability, then where does that leave the real English?

Will the language of Shakespeare suffer by association, leaving the field open one day for the resurgence of the other great tongues of the world ? Like French?
ha HA !!! it is a cunning ploy of the académie to turn the tables !! we will now bastardise english into oblivion, so that french can rise again as the most beautiful and poetic language in the world !

but seriously, it really does drive me crazy when, for example, the french women working at the french agency in france tell me to please use "boollette poynz" (bullet points) on the list in that document i'm designing for them. i want to shout at them (in french, of course) "for god's sake, they're called puces !!!! you sound like a bunch of pretentious morons !!!!"

it also drives me crazy when i see big companies with french branches sending over american executives in high-level positions who don't even make a pretense of learning to speak french, and oblige the entire damned company of french employees in france to speak english to accomodate them. in a way they can't complain about globish ; they've really asked for it.

on the other hand, it also drives me crazy when i hear english spoken / written by native anglophones who are apparently practically illiterate and have no idea what punctuation is.

i guess i'm sort of a purist, regardless the language.

vive l'éloquence !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
It is an offense to thine ears to hear the utterance of the doggerel modern "english" from the wretched masses!

Thou shalt henceforth use only the true Elizabethan Olde English, forswearing the usage of such common dirty toungues, as those spewed by the peasants on the filthy continent, and of course, the accursed colonies.

I proclaimeth it!

Last edited by Donnageddon; 01-25-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
on the other hand, it also drives me crazy when i hear english spoken / written by native anglophones who are apparently practically illiterate and have no idea what punctuation is.

i guess i'm sort of a purist, regardless the language.

vive l'éloquence !
This last bit is really funny, considering your punctuation habits. (capitalization? what's that?)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This last bit is really funny, considering your punctuation habits. (capitalization? what's that?)
like e.e. cummings, it is precisely because i *do* know what capitalisation is that i can allow myself the freedom to eschew it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
like e.e. cummings, it is precisely because i *do* know what capitalisation is that i can allow myself the freedom to eschew it.
Don't get it caught in you esteeth when you eschew it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Don't get it caught in you esteeth when you eschew it.
i'm careful about that.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Have you ever heard of Office québécois de la langue française?

Better known as the language police.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm just longing to see how VR would translate Globish, especially given that it forbids humour.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, with only 1,500 words with which to work, at least it would be easy to learn. I assume it would have no verb tenses, and probably is a bit like a crippled Esperanto.

It's a little hard to be linguistically bigoted here. Even in Atlanta, loads of the billboards are in Spanish, not to mention Austin where if you aren't bilingual, you are toast.

So much Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese .... hell, you name it ... has invaded the English language. Every time a new immigrant group moves in, a whole new slang starts seeping in.

Eventually, there will be some sort of global language, maybe not for several more decades, but the world is getting too small for it not to happen. I'm basically lazy, so I'd rather it be some form of English if only so that I don't have to learn another language.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RickM
Quote:
It's a little hard to be linguistically bigoted here. Even in Atlanta, loads of the billboards are in Spanish, not to mention Austin where if you aren't bilingual, you are toast.

So much Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese .... hell, you name it ... has invaded the English language. Every time a new immigrant group moves in, a whole new slang starts seeping in.

Eventually, there will be some sort of global language, maybe not for several more decades, but the world is getting too small for it not to happen. I'm basically lazy, so I'd rather it be some form of English if only so that I don't have to learn another language.
Sorry I quoted all most all of your post, but I agree so completely, if I were just to state my honest opinion, it would just be a restatement anyway.

Language is NOT written in stone (OK some of it is, but that was before they had paper, let alone e-ink). But there are few people alive today that could read Beowulf in it's original transcription (I certainly couldn't). Hell, most people are confounded by Shakespearian prose. If not for the KJV of the Bible, most people wouldn't have any experience with "Thou" or "Thine".

Language will always be fluid. And ever changing.

While that presents challenges, I think it is a good thing. The bigger the palette, and the larger the canvas, the greater the ability to create new and wonderful things.

Of course, some people will just make graffiti on that large canvas, but that is a price that should be willingly shouldered.

As long as the canvas has a basis in English.

Oops! I just got bigoted.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And to Queen Zelda, the most high, What is with the gender specific "the"?

Ain't that sexist? Why should a pencil have a gender, or a banana?

Don't be obvious!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
But there are few people alive today that could read Beowulf in it's original transcription (I certainly couldn't).
I can .

Quote:
Hell, most people are confounded by Shakespearian prose. If not for the KJV of the Bible, most people wouldn't have any experience with "Thou" or "Thine".
There are a number of dialects of British English where "thou" and "thy" are alive and well. Where I live, people will automatically make a distiction between saying "is tha' well?" to one person, and "are you well?" to a number of people.

Quote:
Language will always be fluid. And ever changing.
Absolutely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The French can go suck an onion - it is the only country in Europe where many people are able to speak a few words of English but outright refuse to. So in my big international company I find it highly amusing to make them speak English when they need IT support:

"Mon Ordinateur, she is without connexion to le réseau".
"Your what is not connected to what?"
"...Ordinateur is not connected to le réseau"
"your what?"
"COMPUTER!"
"Oh, you should have said so! And you can't connect to what?"
[urgent discussion on other side]
"ZEE NETWORK!"
"Oh, have you tried restarting it?"

...I'm a bâtard (which I think is a word they nicked from the English).

If the French and their Latin rip-off babble had wanted to dominate the language world they should have invented Internet instead of Minitel (which they co-developed with the Brits). Muahahaha!

Last edited by acidzebra; 01-26-2009 at 03:33 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote