Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #46
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can no longer justify the price of a pound of bacon.
It comes in 12oz packages now.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It comes in 12oz packages now.
Oh, I'm not falling for THAT clever ruse.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #48
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It hasn't been advertised as a rich customer only section either. But that is what it will quickly become if they raise the price any higher. I grant you that not everyone will want AP and it is an extra. in fact I've never disputed that, but by raising the price up they will be taking the choice of whether or not someone will sign up for it away from some people, because even among those that have it now not everyone will be able to afford it. If something like the perks that AP gives is only accessible to someone because they are at a certain social level financially and they can't have that item simply because they can't afford it isn't that discriminatory? Granted there are some things that most people can't afford even with a higher level of income and some of them (like private planes and sports cars) have always been luxury items, but those same items have always cost more than most people have because of how much it costs to produce them. Things like AP are on a whole different level because they aren't that expensive. Just over the margin of what is affordable by everyone. Right now the cost of AP is more than what I pay each month for electric service but that's only because I qualify for the budget plan. Otherwise it'd be a lot more than it is. And what of those who can afford it now but won't be able to if they raise the price higher? Isn't that discrimination against them?
I'm sorry there is no discrimination here. You have a choice to either pay the fee, or choose not to because it is too expensive. You either have the money or you don't. If you don't that is not Amazon's fault and they aren't putting a gun to your head to buy an Amazon Prime membership. You just can't afford it. No one is at fault.

This is just business. When a business's expenses start to go up they more than likely pass that expense along to the consumer.

Health ins. is a perfect example.

You either pay a very high monthly premium, but when you need medical attn., you are not asked to pay a deductible, or copay or coinsurance.

Or you pay less money each month but when you need medical attn., you are visited by someone who tells you that you have a 500.00 annl. deductible and or a 500.00 copay per admission, and or a 10, 20 % or more coinsurance that you are responsible for.

You either pay it up front, or get hit with it later, but make no mistake you WILL pay it one way or another!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #49
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
So would your parents!
They aren't paying for it. I pay for my tuition out of my own pocket! I could easily go for a few years more, but I've decided not to because I'm tired of paying for it. I wish I could go the Steve Jobs route and just go and not get credit for it, because I'd totally do it.

It's just a side thing, I was never pursuing a degree.

And yes, bacon is expensive now too. I have to settle for just bacon bits now.

I think the whole discrimination thing is blown out of proportion. Come on now. When does your Prime membership expire? In 5 months? Put away $5-10 to the side every month. Heck, I have that in spare change I've been collecting from shopping over the last 6 months.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
just about everyone I know has at least the shipping version of Prime membership, either through a friend/family member's account or by way of one of the discounted/free memberships. I suppose if I were paying $80 for it an extra $40 may cause me to cancel, but if their shipping costs jumped 19%, I don't really fault them for not eating it.
What's disconcerting though is that they already raised the minimum for non-Prime customers to get free shipping.

$40 is a 50 percent jump--that's huge.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
No one has any inherent right to be able to afford all the things they WANT to buy. Period.
Monkeys do
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #52
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It hasn't been advertised as a rich customer only section either. But that is what it will quickly become if they raise the price any higher. I grant you that not everyone will want AP and it is an extra. in fact I've never disputed that, but by raising the price up they will be taking the choice of whether or not someone will sign up for it away from some people, because even among those that have it now not everyone will be able to afford it. If something like the perks that AP gives is only accessible to someone because they are at a certain social level financially and they can't have that item simply because they can't afford it isn't that discriminatory? Granted there are some things that most people can't afford even with a higher level of income and some of them (like private planes and sports cars) have always been luxury items, but those same items have always cost more than most people have because of how much it costs to produce them. Things like AP are on a whole different level because they aren't that expensive. Just over the margin of what is affordable by everyone. Right now the cost of AP is more than what I pay each month for electric service but that's only because I qualify for the budget plan. Otherwise it'd be a lot more than it is. And what of those who can afford it now but won't be able to if they raise the price higher? Isn't that discrimination against them?
$119 a year is about 35 cents a day. Some may not be able to afford this or can afford it but lack the discipline to save up for it. You don't have to be rich to afford 35 cents a day, but I don't think it is any more discriminatory than cable or phone or any other service pricing. It is a luxury/convenience service not something necessary for day to day living. My phone company charges far more as does my power company. Where I live in the summer you have to get water delivered at $30 a tank. Some people actually have to go to a friends house if they want a shower. Go after those guys for discrimination.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #53
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The thirteen richest people in the world own more than 50% of the world's population. I doubt they bother with Prime.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #54
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The thirteen richest people in the world own more than 50% of the world's population.
Wow. In the old days, slave owners would own a few dozen people at most.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What's disconcerting though is that they already raised the minimum for non-Prime customers to get free shipping.

$40 is a 50 percent jump--that's huge.
When shipping costs go up a company that works with low margins like Amazon can't be expected to keep prices stable for ever --- as much as they would like to avoid rocking the boat. There is nothing discriminatory about charging more to avoid losing money.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #56
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've had it take longer than two business days, once or twice. I was bummed out when it happened, sure. But if I'm honest with myself, there were also a few times that I got things the very next business day (order on Friday; on doorstep Monday). I have no real complaints about the shipping after two-ish years of Prime membership.
Over the holiday season, I was receiving orders with astonishing alacrity. I kept wondering if I had inadvertently signed up for Prime.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Over the holiday season, I was receiving orders with astonishing alacrity. I kept wondering if I had inadvertently signed up for Prime.
Alliteraritive alacrity points awarded.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #58
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
No one has any inherent right to be able to afford all the things they WANT to buy. Period.
The most expensive thing I can think of is an aircraft carrier. This begs the question; Could Bill Gates afford one?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Monkeys do
I'm so tired of the ruling monkistacracy rubbing their privilege in everyone's faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The most expensive thing I can think of is an aircraft carrier. This begs the question; Could Bill Gates afford one?
Yes. He could (if they give him 90 days same as cash). But they won't sell him one. Now THAT'S discrimination.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-01-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #60
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm so tired of the ruling monkistacracy rubbing their privilege in everyone's faces.
Oh, that was privilge those monkeys were rubbing? I didn't know it smelled like that.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote