Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie5012 View Post
Is the library open to International applications for a library card?
You have to pick up the card in person and as I understand, you check the ebooks out at the library, not online. The whole point I guess is to get people, especially children into the library.
I that area of the city, 75% of people do not have internet in their home.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
carrie5012
carrie5012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Xperia Z, iPad,ipod
I was looking at their library policies and procedures and it seems items can be checked out online:

Quote:
III. AvailableLibraryMaterials
Materials and Devices Available for Check-Out
 eBooks – available for checkout online through our digital content catalog on the BiblioTech digital library’s website.
 AdulteReaders
 Children’seReaders
 eReadersforthevisuallyimpaired
Although it seems the library is only open to those who are residents of Bexar County or who pay property taxes there.
carrie5012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
They had a segment about this library on the evening news yesterday, and yes, they mentioned it was for residents of Bexar County. They also showed that they have hundreds of e-book readers with covers that are loaned out for/with the downloaded books. They're rigged so that they go blank if they're not returned. They didn't explain any further.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Texas wants to do away with healthcare for anyone not a wealthy tea party member.

Texas also wants us to consider a Canadian as a candidate for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well, they're already flirting with scienceless textbooks so why not push the envelope a little further?
I could tell both of you a few more things that've happened down here, but this isn't the right board and I don't want the thread getting moved. Suffice it to say that religion lost control over education a couple of centuries ago, for very good reason.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Difficult to find an actual picture of the place, but this story has one of the lines of computers. I want to see one of the other side.
http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...ary-3637.shtml

I still haven't found any info on the brand of the 600 e-readers. My husband was told by someone that they might be Nooks. Just a rumor though as I can't find any concrete info on that in the stories. They said they increased the number of e-readers to 600 because of demand.

Here they have a slide show of pictures.
http://tpr.org/post/bexar-county-bib...s-live-weekend

Last edited by Atunah; 09-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
I still haven't found any info on the brand of the 600 e-readers. My husband was told by someone that they might be Nooks. Just a rumor though as I can't find any concrete info on that in the stories. They said they increased the number of e-readers to 600 because of demand.
The e-readers I saw on the TV news segment yesterday looked like Nooks to me.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Texas wants to do away with healthcare for anyone not a wealthy tea party member.

Texas also wants us to consider a Canadian as a candidate for president.
Any self respecting Canadian would demand to be called Prime Minister

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
This seems exactly backwards to me. This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access. They need books they can see, the ability to sit in a chair and read a book WITHOUT SOMEONE LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER. In the story, Mr. Pena said he liked electronic books because he didn't have to worry about losing or damaging them. What about the electronic reader? If you want to have a bookless library, start in an area where everyone has internet access and can explore what the net has to offer.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 09-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
This seems exactly backwards to me. This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access.
To look at it from another direction: checking out an ereader makes perfect sense for people who don't have private transport. Schlepping home a bag full of paper books on a bus or by foot, as well as carrying your groceries, is really hard.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Please remember that discussion of politics and religion is not permitted in the general forums.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
This seems exactly backwards to me. This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access. They need books they can see, the ability to sit in a chair and read a book WITHOUT SOMEONE LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER. In the story, Mr. Pena said he liked electronic books because he didn't have to worry about losing or damaging them. What about the electronic reader? If you want to have a bookless library, start in an area where everyone has internet access and can explore what the net has to offer.
Is that how it is in "poor areas" of Chicago? There is plenty of broadband coverage in the south part of San Antonio. To access ebook files you wouldn't even need broadband, though, dial-up would work fine. I doubt that you could find a welfare mother without 250 channels of U-verse and as much broadband as they want, to go along with their "Obama" Wireless Phone.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Is that how it is in "poor areas" of Chicago? There is plenty of broadband coverage in the south part of San Antonio. To access ebook files you wouldn't even need broadband, though, dial-up would work fine. I doubt that you could find a welfare mother without 250 channels of U-verse and as much broadband as they want, to go along with their "Obama" Wireless Phone.

Luck;
Ken
I kind of agree without the negative connotations. Most really poor people I know do have wireless and cable. And a cellphone.

I don't find myself begrudging them that especially as they must do without a lot in life. Most of them that do have it also seem to feed and cloth their children which I am in favour of as well.

And if they are seeking to get ahead, hard to do these days without a phone and internet and often internet and cable are the only forms of entertainment they have.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I doubt that you could find a welfare mother without 250 channels of U-verse and as much broadband as they want, to go along with their Wireless Phone.
What's wrong with that? The schools are starting to assume a majority of the students have smartphones, and the teachers are actually having the kids use their mobile broadband access in class for school purposes.

For example, putting a QR code to a teacher's blog post that includes links to research materials they wouldn't otherwise have access to, or letting students check their grades online. Considering the school can't afford a netbook or iPad for each student and the kids are much rougher on school equipment than something they have an investment in, it both saves the district money and helps their education.

As for having 250 channels, a lot of the time cable is bundled with an apartment. You get it whether you want it or not. So please don't try to shame people for something they have no control over. And please don't try killing a good thing because of your personal opinions on how welfare welfare should work and who should qualify. I work with these kids on an almost daily basis, and I see how access to technology is helping their education.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
So, you also would disagree with "Sydney's Mom" who posted: "This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access." As I happen to live in San Antonio, I know how wrong such a statement is. As to the difference between the liberal and conservative view of the welfare state, such discussions are not allowed here (at least not the conservative side).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
Atunah
Wizard

In that particular area where the library has been placed many do not have internet. That was also stated in one of the articles. I think they said its as high as 75%. Again, in that area, not all of San Antonio.
Heck, even in the area I live, I know many that don't have internet, for various reasons.

These people now have access to computers and internet and can be part of modern life in that way. There were a lot of older folks apparently too that showed up to get the hang of going online.

If it wasn't such a drive for me, I would check this one out. But I hate driving here.