Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #481
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Hello everybody.
I've managed to make a level shifter, and now, even if the tx part doesn't work, I was able to see the RX data from the kindle.
I've found out that the partition has error on this, this is what is causing the kindle not to boot.
I've tried several things:
flashed a custom kernel which extracted the whole rootfs and from there i wanted to perform a fsck.
I did, found a couple of errors, and now the kindle boots up, however it sdtill displays some "books", which were previously on it.
This is expected, as the fsck only checkes the rootfs partition..

I've formatted also the exported /mnt/us from windows , but still the data is shown.
From where does it get the books in the device. Maybe I should try to delete them from there ?
If I try to access one of them, the kindle freezes, of course.

Any help would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
Hello,
First, I would like to say that the kindle debrick tools works
It's indeed a very useful tool.
But I have a kindle that I cannot debrick, I've tried several methods.
Here's the story:
My uncle wanted to update duokan on it, the update went wrong, and after reboot, the kindle stuck with the loading screen at ~20% (shown in the screenshot).Then he entered the debug menu, and pressed I, i guess (the option that formats all partitions). Then the kindle didn't boot not even at this point.
This is when he gave it to me

I've copied the firmware from another identical kindle, and with k3flasher, i've reflashed everything: kernel, devid, varfs, isis, partition3, basically all that was backed up with k3flasher.
Now the kindle got back to the original state, it booted at the same point as before.
Meanwhile I broke the cable connecting the display, so I had to order another one, therefore this project was dead for 1/2 year.
Today, I've charged the kindle (the battery was removed not to be drained) and tried to debrick with Kubrick.
The flashing completed successfully, it boots up (screen flashes, loading screen appears, but the progress bar stops again at 20%).

Right now I have no further idea what could have gone wrong.
Basically I've reflashed everything, but still doesn't boot.
I'm thinking to connect to the serial port, to check the kernel debug output. Maybe there i can do something.
But I need a 1.8V USB-Serial converter, which I have to order...

Any other ideas what I could do ?
Isn't there a way to write the kernel log to the SD partition to check it later (I can get to the debug menu, where I can mount the internal SD and it's visible from windows).

Last edited by trex_daemon; 07-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #482
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is going to be difficult without having a two-way serial port.
Hard to make changes to the Kindle when you can't send it any commands.

You write of an "SD Card" - what model of Kindle is this? A K1?

Or have you modified the Kindle to add the development board's SD card socket to it?

ah, but your question - -
At this point, you need to force the Kindle's boot-up sequence to re-build the user data partition.

On an un-modified Kindle, other than a K1 model - -
That can be done by writing 16, 512 byte blocks, of zeros to /dev/mmcblk0p4 and then doing a re-boot.
The kernel's initramfs will detect the missing partition and re-build it.

But since I don't know what your device is, and what hardware mods you have done. . . .
I can't say if that would work in your case.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #483
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Sorry for not proving sufficient details.
It's a k3 wifi device.
I've made a level shifter as described here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643
and I am using it with a nokia DKU-5 usb-serial converter (it's the PL2303).
Sorry for misusing the sdcard. I've ment the internal flash, of course.
I don't have a scope here to check why isn't the transmit part working, but I might bring it to work to check it.
Meanwhile, I've installed the custom kernel from here :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175602
and did manage to connect with a serial over usb console.
The problem is that this happens right at the begiining, before any blocks being mounted.
Once i issue the start of the kindle os, as described also there, I can't do much of a thing.
This would be useful after the kindle has booted to have at least the partitions mounted.

You say that if i fill with 0s those memory areas, the kindle will build it's partitions ?
I could try that. I will try to create an img filled with 0s and then flash it with k3flasher from the right address.. that might do the trick, i hope..

I don't want to give up on fixing it
I've already changed a display for it and bought all the parts for the serial cable, so a new one might have been cheaper
So any ideas are highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is going to be difficult without having a two-way serial port.
Hard to make changes to the Kindle when you can't send it any commands.

You write of an "SD Card" - what model of Kindle is this? A K1?

Or have you modified the Kindle to add the development board's SD card socket to it?

ah, but your question - -
At this point, you need to force the Kindle's boot-up sequence to re-build the user data partition.

On an un-modified Kindle, other than a K1 model - -
That can be done by writing 16, 512 byte blocks, of zeros to /dev/mmcblk0p4 and then doing a re-boot.
The kernel's initramfs will detect the missing partition and re-build it.

But since I don't know what your device is, and what hardware mods you have done. . . .
I can't say if that would work in your case.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #484
trex_daemon
Enthusiast

Here's some log from it, before running fsck on the exported partition..

http://pastebin.com/4cxieiWT
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #485
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
Sorry for not proving sufficient details.
It's a k3 wifi device.
I've made a level shifter as described here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643
and I am using it with a nokia DKU-5 usb-serial converter (it's the PL2303).
Sorry for misusing the sdcard. I've ment the internal flash, of course.
I don't have a scope here to check why isn't the transmit part working, but I might bring it to work to check it.
Meanwhile, I've installed the custom kernel from here :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175602
and did manage to connect with a serial over usb console.
The problem is that this happens right at the begiining, before any blocks being mounted.
Once i issue the start of the kindle os, as described also there, I can't do much of a thing.
This would be useful after the kindle has booted to have at least the partitions mounted.

You say that if i fill with 0s those memory areas, the kindle will build it's partitions ?
I could try that. I will try to create an img filled with 0s and then flash it with k3flasher from the right address.. that might do the trick, i hope..

I don't want to give up on fixing it
I've already changed a display for it and bought all the parts for the serial cable, so a new one might have been cheaper
So any ideas are highly appreciated.
Ah, phooey - - "I installed the custom kernel ...."

Sorry, I never dug into that custom kernel to see what, if any, changes where made to its initramfs system (the one responsible for re-building /var/local (mmcblk0p3) and /mnt/usr (mmcblk0p4) file systems).

So all I can say is: A stock kernel will detect and rebuild...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #486
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since you have serial access, the O option (overwrite & format fat) from the recovery menu might do the trick (do not use the I option though, it's nastier). That, or login as root and do as knc1 recommended using dd.

Because yeah, as clearly apparent in the logs, the userstore is well and properly borked ;-).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #487
trex_daemon
Enthusiast

Hello again,
Thanks for the good advices.
I did boot into the recovery menu and formatted the partition with O.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/loop/0: 674 files, 24093/400274 clusters
system: I rcS:def:starting /etc/rcS.d/S90video
system: I S90video:def:initializing eInk HAL for rootfs use

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
However, when I've booted it still shows that there is some error:

Code:
system: I S70userstore:def:Found BOOTUP flag file
dosfsck 2.11-lab126 (1 Jun 2007)
dosfsck 2.11-lab126, 1 Jun 2007, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offset:original/backup)
  65:01/00
  Not automatically fixing this.
Boot sector contents:
System ID "mkdosfs"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
       512 bytes per logical sector
      8192 bytes per cluster
        32 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
         2 FATs, 32 bit entries
   1601536 bytes per FAT (= 3128 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 3219456 (sector 6288)
    400274 data clusters (3279044608 bytes)
32 sectors/track, 64 heads
         0 hidden sectors
   6410672 sectors total
A new long file name starts within an old one.
  Not auto-correcting this.
Unfinished long file name ":621:3LH:5rx:3b0:7iu:CWH:6Gh:Bn9:Dh5:9f8:AYc:5sp:3IW".
  (Start may have been overwritten by \024.\036\226\207\013;k.\202)
Wrong checksum for long file name ":621:3LH:5rx:3b0:7iu:CWH:6Gh:Bn9:Dh5:9f8:AYc:5sp:3IW".
  (Short name \024.\036\226\207\013;k.\202 may have changed without updating the long name)
Long filename fragment ":C+8:3wp:1+J:0tt:DsR:8ra:9Kp:0zE:Dk4:95P:6NX:6b7:43h" found outside a LFN sequence.
  (Maybe the start bit is missing on the last fragment)
Checksum in long filename part wrong (98 vs. expected bc).
Checking for unused clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/loop/0: 674 files, 24093/400274 clusters
system: I rcS:def:starting /etc/rcS.d/S90video
system: I S90video:def:initializing eInk HAL for rootfs use

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
See the complete log:
http://pastebin.com/NHbsbjUZ

Obviously he doesn't fix this. Is there any way to start usbserial/usbnetworking on it after it has entered user mode (runlevel 2 I suppose) ?
When the OS loads up, I still see some of the old files that were on the kindle.
That's very strange. Is it caching it up somewhere, or from where are these old files coming ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Since you have serial access, the O option (overwrite & format fat) from the recovery menu might do the trick (do not use the I option though, it's nastier). That, or login as root and do as knc1 recommended using dd.

Because yeah, as clearly apparent in the logs, the userstore is well and properly borked ;-).

Last edited by trex_daemon; 07-07-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #488
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Okay, obviously, the recovery thing didn't take . Weeeeelll.

Another cheap shot in the dark: Did you try to launch a reset to factory defaults? Either from the settings menu if you can, or the hard way (cold booting with [HOME] pressed, follow the reset procedure on screen)?

Can't remember how/if the factory reset wipes the userstore... let me dig up my K3, I'll take a look.

EDIT: Yes it does .

As for usbserial, can't say, I've never used it. What I do know is that on proper serial, you would be getting a getty prompt to login at that point . (And with a broken userstore & no console, setting up usbnetwork would be tricky. That said, it does appear to be installed on the image you flashed, because I see my init script in your logs. But given the fact that it operates mostly from the userstore, that doesn't help us very much ^^.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2013 at 12:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #489
trex_daemon
Enthusiast

Wow. Perfect!
The hard way did the trick!
Thanks everybody for the valuable help.
At least I've learned a lot about the kindles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, obviously, the recovery thing didn't take . Weeeeelll.

Another cheap shot in the dark: Did you try to launch a reset to factory defaults? Either from the settings menu if you can, or the hard way (cold booting with [HOME] pressed, follow the reset procedure on screen)?

Can't remember how/if the factory reset wipes the userstore... let me dig up my K3, I'll take a look.

EDIT: Yes it does .

As for usbserial, can't say, I've never used it. What I do know is that on proper serial, you would be getting a getty prompt to login at that point . (And with a broken userstore & no console, setting up usbnetwork would be tricky. That said, it does appear to be installed on the image you flashed, because I see my init script in your logs. But given the fact that it operates mostly from the userstore, that doesn't help us very much ^^.)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #490
katar
katar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, I have a problem using Kubrick (I'm NOT using a virtual machine!)

I get to the step where it's flashing Diagnostics kernel & partition.

The Kindle itself then restarts and goes into USB drive mode (With the screen stating "Not charging")

When you press "next" and then the "waiting for usb network" goes on and on... (I've waited for about a minute before aborting).

The battery is full (Green when I connect it to the PC, and shows full battery on the screen).

Any idea what went wrong? I'm not savy enough to do it through Linux...
katar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #491
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by katar View Post
Ok, I have a problem using Kubrick (I'm NOT using a virtual machine!)

I get to the step where it's flashing Diagnostics kernel & partition.

The Kindle itself then restarts and goes into USB drive mode (With the screen stating "Not charging")

When you press "next" and then the "waiting for usb network" goes on and on... (I've waited for about a minute before aborting).

The battery is full (Green when I connect it to the PC, and shows full battery on the screen).

Any idea what went wrong? I'm not savy enough to do it through Linux...
This is... errmm... not normal. Actually totally unexpected.
Seems like your Kindle allowed us to flash the diags kernel and partition. And then, when told to start into diags mode, it just decided "ah well, no. I don't want to boot into diags, I'll boot into main mode instead".

Your Kindle seems to be refusing to do what it is programmed to do. This is *not* normal behavior. This shouldn't be happening, period.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to try again, or to check the USB cable for defects. I just can't believe that you own the one and only Kindle which refuses to boot into diags mode when told so by the boot loader.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #492
knc1
Going Viral

One thought - Hardware failure.
Specifically:

Failure of the control of the hardware write protect lock on that section of the flash chip which holds the bootloader and its parameters.

I.E: It never unlocks to accept the mode change for the next boot.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #493
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 3.5

Kubrick 3.5 is here!

There's a new (optional) feature to reformat the USB drive, available for K4 and K5 devices. This will probably help in various circumstances, the most common one being the ability to (hopefully) completely revert a borked Duokan installation attempt (which messes up pretty much everything on the Kindle)

By reinstalling the firmware and discarding both the internal and external storage, you can now use Kubrick to revert any K4 or K5 to a "totally virgin" state.

In addition, there have been a few changes to the UI, which will hopefully make Kubrick easier to understand for newbies, and a few other improvements, mostly under the hood.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-19-2013 at 11:56 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #494
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Kubrick 3.5 is here!

There's a new (optional) feature to reformat the USB drive, available for K4 and K5 devices. This will probably help in various circumstances, the most common one being the ability to (hopefully) completely revert a borked Duokan installation attempt (which messes up pretty much everything on the Kindle)
Hmm...
Duokan also modifies /var/local contents.
??? Ah, but you already had a "wipe /var/local/*" choice, didn't you?
(Sorry, I don't have your menu choices memorized. )

I guess that the only feature "missing" at the moment is a "Save personal and device specific information" to a file.

Probably would be better to write that "Save / Restore" function as a pair of KUAL buttons than put it into Kubrick.
(There have been requests on the forum for such a thing in the past.)

I have looked at that problem, and am convinced I can calculate the areas outside of the file systems properly on each device.
But that is as far as I have gotten - no "button code" here yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #495
pancho93
pancho93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
First of all Hi. i dont have other choise to post
The program really works but i did something stupìd...in the last screen of the program i disconnect the usb and tried to connect on other pc but the machine didnt recognized the kindle...so when i realized the shit i did i connected again the usb in the first machine and finish the program then the pc went shutdown...but the kindle still not recognized but any pc.
I tried to restart, use the program again, and those things but still doesnt work, please anyone can help me?
pancho93 is offline   Reply With Quote