Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video interview with E Ink at CES 2012

Exclusive 17-minute interview with E Ink's CMO at CES, where they showed me a Triton color display for signage with color so saturated that it looked like an LCD except that it was thinner than OLED, sunlight readable, uses no backlights and uses very little power. I also saw the SURF display used in a hand drill which has not been filmed before. The 11.5" 300DPI eDocument reader made in collaboration with Epson. The Triton color display based Ectaco eReader that had just won the CES innovation award, it is being deployed in Russian schools. New E Ink watches from Phosphor and Seiko. Finally, the Eton Ruckus music player with E Ink display that was launched this week was demonstrated, it is considered to be indestructible.

E Ink has shipped over 25 million E Ink screens for e-readers alone in 2011, that’s up from 10 million screens in 2010 and 4 million screens in 2009. Now E Ink is also working to expand into new markets, signage, appliances, everywhere. The idea is that more and more devices and surfaces may get an E Ink screen on them that thus by being bi-stable can show the informations for a long time without using any battery. While many electronic paper technology companies show samples, E Ink is actually in mass production with monochrome, color and segmented displays and they claim that no technology in the world comes close to the reading experience on E Ink's displays and these displays are easy on the eyes since they don’t have a shiny background or light emitting backlight.

Source

Last edited by Charbax; 01-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Very interesting interview. I would love to see the new Triton technology in person. That 300 dpi reader looks fabulous as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Triton takes a high resolution gray scale panel and overlays a color panel that needs multiple pixels to generate the color (4096 colors)

So the Jetbook color is a 9.7" screen with a non-color resolution of 1600x1200 but because of the Triton color layer, the effective resolution is actually 800x600 and to be honest, from what I have seen in photos and videos, it doesn't look all that good at such a large screen size.

Personally, I'd prefer a 9.7" screen with a resolution of 1600x1200 without the color layer. That would look so much nicer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

E Ink also provided me with following amazing video featuring the actual E Ink Pearl roll display material used in Nook, Sony, Kindle etc. The video was shot alongside the Charles river in Cambridge/Boston and you can see MIT (E Ink is MIT spin off) and Boston skyline in the background. The display is a few feet wide and can go one kilometer (it was 500 meters in this video):

Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Thank you Charbax for a great video
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Though the stuff that guy shows us is interesting in nature, that guy is pretty boring in the way he presents stuff. Not sure if it's the tone of his voice or how he can explain for the longest time something that can be said in a couple sentences only but yeah, there you have it.
So E-ink is great but didn't we already know that ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
...New E Ink watches from Phosphor and Seiko. ...

Source
Thanks Charbax.

And you have me interested in watches again, when I thought I was finished with those vain accoutrements, BUT I have never had one of those! I will be looking into those watches!

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Bah. I missed out on going to CES this year. I would have loved to go see some of this in person.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I would love to get the large Jetbook Color, but so far I haven't seen any video showing what real-life color looks like on it. What I mean is, they keep showing drawings from textbooks which have been colored; I would like to see what color photographs in, for instance, a biography would look like. The textbook pictures they show don't look as though the color is very saturated, and i want to know if that is because of the technology, or just the pictures they're choosing to show. Has anyone seen the Jetbook Color with their own eyes?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Triton takes a high resolution gray scale panel and overlays a color panel that needs multiple pixels to generate the color (4096 colors)

So the Jetbook color is a 9.7" screen with a non-color resolution of 1600x1200 but because of the Triton color layer, the effective resolution is actually 800x600 and to be honest, from what I have seen in photos and videos, it doesn't look all that good at such a large screen size.

Personally, I'd prefer a 9.7" screen with a resolution of 1600x1200 without the color layer. That would look so much nicer.
But one other use pops up in my mind. The video show a monocrome copy of the Mona Lisa. I'd like a 16x20" (35x50 cm) wall hangable display, like a picture in a frame. Only one that take very little power and can have it's contents changed on a moment's notice. (Today I want Picasso, tomorrow I want Maxfield Parrish, the next day a photo of Hawaii, ect...) In color, of course...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at the watches.
Phosphor has the most dramatic style.
Seiko as usual is more staid.

You can get the Phosphor at Amazon for $80 to $160. A little over a dozen models.

The display is great, but I would like more variety. More features. I think that will come in the next few years.

Still I am tempted to get one of the $95 ones just to impress the grand kids, and maybe the kids as well.
I may be a military type, and have spent over 30 years in the Navy, flying all over the world, and living on boats, and 40 years total flying, but I still have a Geek mentality when it comes to gadgets.

If you think about it, I made a career flying a gadget in the air, that nested on a giant atomic gadget that floated on the water, and now live on two floating gadgets, and fly between them in a smaller gadget.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I looked at the watches.
Phosphor has the most dramatic style.
Seiko as usual is more staid.

You can get the Phosphor at Amazon for $80 to $160. A little over a dozen models.

The display is great, but I would like more variety. More features. I think that will come in the next few years.

Still I am tempted to get one of the $95 ones just to impress the grand kids, and maybe the kids as well.
I may be a military type, and have spent over 30 years in the Navy, flying all over the world, and living on boats, and 40 years total flying, but I still have a Geek mentality when it comes to gadgets.

If you think about it, I made a career flying a gadget in the air, that nested on a giant atomic gadget that floated on the water, and now live on two floating gadgets, and fly between them in a smaller gadget.
You never outgrow being a geek, and geeks never get old.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5E2oz5RbcA

Link provided because embedding YouTube doesn't work well. This video is in 720p and should be seen at 720p full screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You never outgrow being a geek, and geeks never get old.

Amen brother. Amen.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Interesting devices. Looks like an eink word processor isn't too far off.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces, demo, e ink, eink, screen