Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.1 Released

A bug-fix release attached to the first post for handling the situation reported above of adding a book to your list then deleting the book in Calibre.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
BakerBug
BakerBug has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
That was amazingly fast!!!

The fix works like a champ. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome. I hate bugs in my code... stomp on them as fast as I can where I can replicate it.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks, kiwidude! Unfortunately I had just added my new batch of books (having noted them on paper) prior to seeing your post. But I've downloaded your plugin, installed it, and set options as per your instructions, so I'm primed and ready for my next batch.

I love that you created an image for the button, rather than leaving it blank, as with some other plugins, and that you've made the options readily available. Well done! Can't wait to use it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBug View Post
4. Remove the PDF from Calibre. (Ops.. this removes the Mobi book too).
It's great that you could replicate the exact sequence and that kiwidude could correct it so quickly.

Just a FYI removing the PDF from calibre does NOT remove the Mobi too. Removing the book removes the book (all files). To remove just the PDF go to the edit metadata window and select the PDF in the available formats window and click the recycle icon. Or you can select multiple books and use the remove format option in the bulk metadata window.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.2 Released

Changes in v1.2:
  • Rewritten for new plugin infrastructure in Calibre 0.7.53
Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #22
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.2.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support skinning of icons by putting them in a plugin name subfolder of local resources/images
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Pyr0
Pyr0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3 wifi, Kindle Voyage
Hi there!. First of all thanks for your work. One feature that I would love to see is that when you sync the book the "ondevice" and "inlibrary" columns would get filled as if I had manually sent the book to the device with the "send to device" button.

Regards,
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Great plug-in! One of the best I've seen. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #25
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 View Post
Hi there!. First of all thanks for your work. One feature that I would love to see is that when you sync the book the "ondevice" and "inlibrary" columns would get filled as if I had manually sent the book to the device with the "send to device" button.

Regards,
@Pyr0 - those columns do get filled in automatically, certainly on my machine at least. If they don't then there is something wrong with your Calibre because this plugin just reuses the same code used for sending news items.

What version of Calibre are you using? Are you running the latest build of 0.7.56? As there were a few problems around this with 0.7.55 in particular I believe.

@terminator - thanks, glad you found it useful. If only Calibre supported device independent lists, then it would be practical to use in a multiple device scenario. But that isn't going to happen any time soon unfortunately.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Pyr0
Pyr0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3 wifi, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Pyr0 - those columns do get filled in automatically, certainly on my machine at least. If they don't then there is something wrong with your Calibre because this plugin just reuses the same code used for sending news items.

What version of Calibre are you using? Are you running the latest build of 0.7.56? As there were a few problems around this with 0.7.55 in particular I believe.
I'm using 0.7.56 then and 0.7.57 now. I haven't tried the news functionality yet. I'll do it and let you know if that is working. I know that when I manually send a book to the device the columns get filled, so that is working on my installation I'll try the news ...
Any ideas on what else could be wrong?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I find this a greate plugin as it allows me to queue books as I add them and decide they are of interest without having to wait until I connect a reader device.

Quote:
IThat's a pretty painful limitation. However it might be the only "option" a user could have for a while until/unless Calibre is changed. If people think it is still worth the effort despite the serious limitation above I'll add it to the plugin.
Has the idea of having multiple sync lists progressed at all? I recently got a Sony PRS-950 to add to my iPad for reading and it would be nice to select which items went to which device in a relatively painless way.

I understand your isssue with which is the current list. However I had some thought on some possible ways forward - not sure if they are technically possible:
  • Always starting with NO active list. However, this would assume that the plugin could get in and de-activate any list that was active (if any) at the time that Calibre closed down before it automatically sent news.
  • When adding a new book, one could choose which list from those managed by the plugin. If necessary a pop-up could ask which list to use.
  • An option to promote a particular list to 'active' state so that Calibre will try and send it at the next sync. However I would have thought the normal use case would be that the user was interested in an immediate sync.
  • Ideally it would be nice to force Calibre to see if a device is connected so it can send news immediately. In effect a 'sync now' option for the current sync list. Can a plugin detect if a device is connected - if so it might be possible to make use of that in some way to indicate to the user what device would be synced?
Anyway, those are my (rather random) thoughts for now - do they make any sense, and do they have any chance of technically working.

It will be nice if/when Calibre eventually becomes device aware but these were some ideas on an interim possibility.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #28
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

I'm in a similar boat. I now have an iPad 2 to add to my Kindle. And my parents now have a second Kindle for their setup. So certainly I can understand the "want"

Has the idea progressed? No. I did raise the issue in the developer forums quite a while back on a thread there, when at the time there was a discussion on creating unique library and device ids. However the verdict was that significant areas of Calibre would need to be rewritten to cater for device independent settings.

I guess another possible implementation that comes to mind is to ask chaley (if there isn't already) to add some signals in which would allow this plugin to effectively replicate what "news" syncing does, but in my own independent sync lists. So in other words, to stop (ab)using the single news sync list, and instead maintain my own independent lists. I think I would just need the hooks in place with an opportunity to identify the device and send books to it from my plugin matching list if any. If chaley doesn't see my post here I will ask the question in the development forums. It would have one significant additional advantage - people who want the "delete after sync" option turned on for their news could do so without worrying about their books being deleted!

As for how the adding would work if that was in place, as you have indicated there are a couple of options I can think of. The easiest would be to just force the user each time to specify which device list to add it to. A more complex approach would be to treat it a bit like save to disk or sending via email does, where there is a menu option for your "default", and an additional menu item with a submenu of all the devices. Having a third menu to switch your default device would then give you a flexible enough combo I think?

As for your last suggestion - yes a sync now option could be added. Though I would ask if you have a device connected why would you not just use the "send to device" option and use book sync at all?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #29
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I'm in a similar boat. I now have an iPad 2 to add to my Kindle. And my parents now have a second Kindle for their setup. So certainly I can understand the "want"
It is always good when the persion who has the appropriate skills also has the 'want'

Quote:
Has the idea progressed? No. I did raise the issue in the developer forums quite a while back on a thread there, when at the time there was a discussion on creating unique library and device ids. However the verdict was that significant areas of Calibre would need to be rewritten to cater for device independent settings.
I understand that - which was why I was thinking of doing everything inside the plugin in the short/medium term.

Quote:
I guess another possible implementation that comes to mind is to ask chaley (if there isn't already) to add some signals in which would allow this plugin to effectively replicate what "news" syncing does, but in my own independent sync lists. So in other words, to stop (ab)using the single news sync list, and instead maintain my own independent lists. I think I would just need the hooks in place with an opportunity to identify the device and send books to it from my plugin matching list if any. If chaley doesn't see my post here I will ask the question in the development forums. It would have one significant additional advantage - people who want the "delete after sync" option turned on for their news could do so without worrying about their books being deleted!
If you maintained your own lists independently of the news mechanism then this is likely to be more flexible. As to getting the news mechanism enhanced slightly to allow you to use it better that is definitely worth asking for as it might be an easy change.
Quote:
As for how the adding would work if that was in place, as you have indicated there are a couple of options I can think of. The easiest would be to just force the user each time to specify which device list to add it to. A more complex approach would be to treat it a bit like save to disk or sending via email does, where there is a menu option for your "default", and an additional menu item with a submenu of all the devices. Having a third menu to switch your default device would then give you a flexible enough combo I think?
I was think that you might have the option to set a 'default' device and this is the one that would be used if you simply hit the 'Sync' button. If no default is set you would prompt for the device (assuming there is more than one). The drop down menu could offer options like:
- "Add to Specific Sync list"
- "Add to Default Sync list"
- "View Specific sync list"
- "View default sync list"
- "Set Default" (dialog could also allow for clearing default),
- "Set New Device" (and allow for deleting via same dialog),
- "Sync to Specific Device".
You could probably come up with better wording and combinations if you are actually trying to implement this. As you now also have multiple devices basing the list on your needs is likely to be the best initial stab at appropriate entries. You mentioned already having 3 to cater for so that is definitely enough to give any enhancment along these lines a good workout.

I would think this menu approach would be easier that trying to simulate the other Send options. Having said that if in theory you allowed for the "Disk, "Folder" and "iTunes" as conceptual devices that could be on the list maybe the whole approach could be integrated across methods. This might make it easier to later subsume the current methods into a global sync approach.

Quote:
As for your last suggestion - yes a sync now option could be added. Though I would ask if you have a device connected why would you not just use the "send to device" option and use book sync at all?
I have found that a sync is quite an expensive operation on my system. If I am expecting a long calibre session of adding books I would prefer to use the Sync plugin to add them as I come across them, and then use a single operation to actually get them all synced in a single operation. Also from a workflow perspective it much esier to accustom oneself to using the Sync plugin (I may be wanting to queue books for a device that is not the one plugged in) as the way of queuing books and separate it from the actual syncing option.

I guess this all raises the question of whether there should be any automated sync at all or whether it should always be triggered by user action. With a single device having it automatic is nicest, but with multiple devices one wants some control unless you can find a way to associate a specific list with a particular device. I guess the latter might be possible now as Calibre seems to store a file on the device that has a unique ID in it - but I do not know if that information becomes available when a device is attached?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I guess another possible implementation that comes to mind is to ask chaley (if there isn't already) to add some signals in which would allow this plugin to effectively replicate what "news" syncing does, but in my own independent sync lists.
I think you already have what you need. You can get notified about a device connection by connecting to gui2.device_signals.device_connection_changed(bool ). If you need to look at the device_db, then also connect to gui2.device_signals.device_metadata_available.

You can use the device_information list, and in particular the driveinfo dict in the fifth element, to manage individual devices. If you want to see this list, then connect to gui2.device_signals.device_metadata_available. When it fires, call foo=gui.device_manager.get_current_device_informat ion() and get the driveinfo dict from foo[4]. That dict has the device UUID and a bunch of other info you can use to determine whether or not to send the queued documents. You would use gui.sync_to_device if you want calibre to select between formats and do auto-conversion. You could use gui.upload_books if you don't care about format checking and will supply the formats to send.
Closed Thread