Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Grumpy2906
Grumpy2906 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Ipad
Kobo wireless Powered Off

Hi,

My problem is, it never goes on Sleep even if i press for less than a second on the power button !!

It always shuts down, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anybody with the same problem ?

Anybody have a solution ??

Thanks.
Grumpy2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
It's a known issue when using sideloaded books. We're hoping it's beeing looked into
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

actually, thinking of it...anyone with the 1.8 firmware on the original kobo; have you been experiencing this?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Mine goes to sleep for me, and does shut off properly.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Grumpy2906
Grumpy2906 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
It's a known issue when using sideloaded books. We're hoping it's beeing looked into
Like you said, they're sideloaded books !
Grumpy2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
actually, thinking of it...anyone with the 1.8 firmware on the original kobo; have you been experiencing this?
We haven't had 1.8 in Australia at the moment so mine is last year's model with 1.4 and it goes to sleep and then shuts down after another 5 minutes (or 10? not sure). Anyhow, that part works really well.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This came up in early November in the beta group--before 1.8 was released for the original Kobo but after the latest WiFi update was released. We were told that there was a bug in Kobo's implementation of the Adobe renderer. It was fixed in time to make it into the main code base, and thus into 1.8 for Kobo-1 and will be in a future WiFi edition. I have absolutely no idea when that might be happening.

We were also told that it goes to sleep from "home", but I haven't tried it to see.

PS: OK, now I have tried it and it does go to sleep the way it should from"home".

Last edited by taming; 12-21-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: PS
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
mines good
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
I just had a thought.. does it display the book cover if and when it does power off... maybe it is set to display the cover all the time which mine isn't, so I just have to look at the screen to tell if it is in sleep mode or power off... Just a thought..

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
mines good
It is a Kobo WiFi problem, only.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
We were also told that it goes to sleep from "home", but I haven't tried it to see.

PS: OK, now I have tried it and it does go to sleep the way it should from"home".
not always actually; if the last book you read was a sideloaded and you go to home, it will sometime shut off as well. I've had other oddities too where I'm trying to purposelly shut off the reader and it will stay at the last page read. Turning it on will go through the normal power on cycle. nothing terrible, but another small issue
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Psyke: I know it doesn't bring much comfort, but the problem is a known issue with a known cause and will be fixed.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
It's about a 50/50 whether it goes to sleep or shuts down that way.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Psyke: I know it doesn't bring much comfort, but the problem is a known issue with a known cause and will be fixed.
Yes, but when? WHEN?? (she waileth in desperate impatience.) I've been hopping on these boards almost every day, looking for that update... I thought you said it'd be out before the end of the year, but I guess you meant the Kobo1 version that just came out. Ah well, guess I'll have to be patient a while longer. Maybe I should read a book to pass the time.

amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Yes, but when? WHEN?? (she waileth in desperate impatience.) I've been hopping on these boards almost every day, looking for that update... I thought you said it'd be out before the end of the year, but I guess you meant the Kobo1 version that just came out. Ah well, guess I'll have to be patient a while longer. Maybe I should read a book to pass the time.

*grin* Personally it hasn't been bothering me that much considering I've gone back to shutting my kobo off when I'm finished my reading sessions; much better battery life as a result.

I'm hoping they bring back an option for auto power off and let us choose the length of time, or not to use it at all.