Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
mphuie
mphuie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770
Lightbulb Flipping thru pages / how is it?

One question that I havent seen addressed much is.. how is flipping through pages? Say I wanted to jump 10 pages, or even jump to a page #, is the Kindle relatively fast in doing so? Is it responsive enough that I can flip through pages without any delay?

I bought and returned the Sony reader because the PDF support was atrocious and jumping and even rendering pages was way too slow. (Esp for large PDFs like computer reference books).

TIA
mphuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Page flipping on the kindle is very fast (at least tolerable now) whereas I agree with you that in regards to PDFs and the Sony PRS500 it was not. In general the Kindle is much more perky than the PRS500.

But keep in mind that all PDFs either have to be converted to Kindle format by Amazon.com or by a conversion utility.

The one thing I do miss is the Sony Reader's ability to skip 10 pages at a time. I haven't found that function in the Kindle. Anybody know if there is a trick I don't know about?

Last edited by sfernald; 11-30-2007 at 06:08 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphuie View Post
One question that I havent seen addressed much is.. how is flipping through pages? Say I wanted to jump 10 pages, or even jump to a page #, is the Kindle relatively fast in doing so? Is it responsive enough that I can flip through pages without any delay?

I bought and returned the Sony reader because the PDF support was atrocious and jumping and even rendering pages was way too slow. (Esp for large PDFs like computer reference books).

TIA
I had the 500, and the Kindle is much faster.

Jumping to another page is almost as fast as clicking the next page button.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
The Kindle is pretty fast. That's subjective, because others have complained about how slow it is. But that's comparing it to a printed book. The only comparison I can make is the Cyboon Gen3, which I also own. The Cybook is noticeably slower than the Kindle.

I'm pleased enough with the page turn rate, and found a comfortable reading speed that allows me to NEXT while I am still scanning the last line on the current page. YMMV of course.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle has a font-size independent "page" count, and you can jump to a given page number.

Most e-books have a TOC for chapters, which can be used for navigation.

There is also an "extended" mode for its progress bar, where prev and next page goes to the prev/next bookmark (e.g. next chapter if you have not added your own bookmarks). It also allows you to use keys 1, 2, ... 0 to jump to 10%, 20%, ... 100% of the document.

See Chapter 3.5 "Using Bookmarks", page 600, in the User's Guide for a description of the extended progress bar. The User's Guide is also available as a PDF on Amazon's main Kindle page.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote