Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Pandigital Black Canada and Adobe Digital Editions issue

Hi,

I was happily buying and reading from Kobo Books. The Adobe Digital Editions was setup to my adobe account. All was fine.

Then I upgraded my Pandigital Black with the Canada firmware upgrade from the Pandigital site. The upgrade proceeded without incident.

However, now I cannot read the books I have purchased. Whenever I attempt to configure the authorization for adobe it fails. I have also removed a purchased book and re-downloaded it. During the download, after which the authorization seems to work, it fails on a "network" issue.

Note that I can connect to wifi and browse the web without a problem. So I do not believe that wifi or my home network connectivity is the issue.

And ideas?

Thanks
G
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
garthoid
Enthusiast

Finally was able to talk with customer support(despite the fact they disconnected me twice). Eventually talked with someone who knew his stuff. Removed the device.xml file in the adobe digital editions directory and performed a factory reset(which removes all settings).

Once I re-entered the wifi details, and my ADE account, I was able to download and actually read purchased books.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
Finally was able to talk with customer support(despite the fact they disconnected me twice). Eventually talked with someone who knew his stuff. Removed the device.xml file in the adobe digital editions directory and performed a factory reset(which removes all settings).

Once I re-entered the wifi details, and my ADE account, I was able to download and actually read purchased books.
Hi,
I am trying to decide if I should jump through hoops to upgrade the firmware. Your initial message made me hold off. I'm glad you updated your situation. Now I likely will upgrade, once I either find an SD card reader or plug my little PDN into a Windows machine ::shudder::
Thanks for making the effort to follow up your own question
Cheers!
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
garthoid
Enthusiast

I had the remaining issue of a epub I purchased from the Sony Bookstore. Although it 1. is an epub, and 2. DRM'd with adobe digital editions (the same tech for the kobo bookstore app) I have been unable to read it with the DRM despite all forms of reset and redownloading the book. Same book can be viewed in Adobe Digital Editions on my PC.

So I called pandigital support and they responded that it should not have worked at all.

So what are they telling me? That I can only read books from their supported bookstore?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Are you getting a content locked message? Usually that means that you have two different ADE accounts on the go. A good rule of thumb to help prevent this is to use the same user information (email address, username if they want one and password) on all of your ePUB purchasing sites) and on your ADE account. Some sites (and Sony is one) creates an ADE account for you using the email address and password you have associated with your account. The ADE information must match on all the books you buy.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I see that Best Buy is now carrying this unit in Canada for $199. I'm curious about (not eager, just curious ... LOL). Does it come with Kobo installed? Other than going through the ePub route, does it support Kobobooks in the native format, storing them in the sqllite database?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
eistot
eistot began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black
are your dates right?
eistot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
garthoid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Are you getting a content locked message? Usually that means that you have two different ADE accounts on the go. A good rule of thumb to help prevent this is to use the same user information (email address, username if they want one and password) on all of your ePUB purchasing sites) and on your ADE account. Some sites (and Sony is one) creates an ADE account for you using the email address and password you have associated with your account. The ADE information must match on all the books you buy.
No. I am getting (on the BPDN) an "unauthorized user" message. I then installed adobe digital editions software on my PC and associated it with the same ADE account(I only have one). It was able to read the content.

In addition, I was able to read same sony book with same ADE account prior to the upgrade.

This fundamentally tells me a few things.

1. DRM technology is fragile.

2. If Bill C-32(Canadian Federal Legislation before Parliament on Digital Copyright) is passed, then by the definitions of digital lock. Hundreds if not thousands of Canadians will be restricted from the digital content they paid for when the DRM technology fails or face becoming criminals if they attempt to break the locks.

G
Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
garthoid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I see that Best Buy is now carrying this unit in Canada for $199. I'm curious about (not eager, just curious ... LOL). Does it come with Kobo installed? Other than going through the ePub route, does it support Kobobooks in the native format, storing them in the sqllite database?
The unit I purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond (truth!) had Kobo books installed. The kobo books I have read have been in epub format.

Last edited by garthoid; 11-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, garthoid. Do you have the option of using Kobo books as is (ie NOT in ePub)? That doesn't solve the ADE issue for books bought at Sony or borrowed from the library but may simplify some reading issues.

BTW, I notice Future Shop has it for $179.99 now.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
garthoid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, garthoid. Do you have the option of using Kobo books as is (ie NOT in ePub)? That doesn't solve the ADE issue for books bought at Sony or borrowed from the library but may simplify some reading issues.

BTW, I notice Future Shop has it for $179.99 now.
I can copy over my own PDFs and other non-drm ePubs when I connect it to my PC. I think the fragile nature of DRM will be a continual problem for consumers. The only other option I have is removing the DRM which in some jurisdictions is illegal.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard

So, just to be clear: using the Kobo Android app on the Pandigital reader you can't read in native Kobo format (which encrypts directly into an sql lite database instead of using Adobe ADE)?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
garthoid
Enthusiast

Quote:
So, just to be clear: using the Kobo Android app on the Pandigital reader you can't read in native Kobo format (which encrypts directly into an sql lite database instead of using Adobe ADE)?
Sorry. I cannot really answer this question at this time. I *think* it just drops an epub into a folder but I will have to look at the folder and see if I can view it in ADE on my PC. When I setup to purchase books from the kobo bookstore on the unit I did have to configure it to use a ADE account.

This may be just the Canadian unit, since Pandigital support thought I was using ADE on the PC.

When I have a chance I will have a detailed look at it and report back.

BTW, the kobo app was preloaded on my unit. B&N is nowhere to be seen on it.

Last edited by garthoid; 11-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post

Dear garthoid:

I have just a general question for you regarding your Pandigital ebook reader. Mine is not a canadian version, but I just thought this would be a general question you can help me with.

When I hook up my new Pandigital 7" to computer & ADE, it asks if I want to install some kind of andriod program on the computer. The users manual on the Pandigital says to skip this step. When I do what the user manual says, and cancel the install it says the device won't work properly. Did you install the andriod program on your computer?

Any thoughts for me? This seems like a nice device for reading PDF content - my Sony is sooooo hard to deal with when reading PDF. The couple of PDF files I've loaded on the Pandigital look good and I can read with no problem (I hate reading PDF files on the computer, and prefer to print out or go the ereader route).

Thanks!

bookratt

bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #15
garthoid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post

I have just a general question for you regarding your Pandigital ebook reader. Mine is not a canadian version, but I just thought this would be a general question you can help me with.
Do you have the black or white version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
When I hook up my new Pandigital 7" to computer & ADE, it asks if I want to install some kind of andriod program on the computer. The users manual on the Pandigital says to skip this step. When I do what the user manual says, and cancel the install it says the device won't work properly. Did you install the andriod program on your computer?
No I did not have to install anything. There was a Kobo Books application was already installed, and I when I purchased my first book a Popup asked me for my ADE account details. But keep in mind that Kobo was for the Canadian Version. If I understand correctly the American version has a B&N app.

I suggest calling their technical support. Call when you have time as they seem to have a lot of demand and I did wait a while. The person I eventually connected to was in the US and was very helpful.

As an addendum to the phone disconnected story. They did actually try call me back a day or two later. So they are definitely trying.

G