Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

Angry Screen Went Bad!

Yet another reader that has a bad screen.
Didn't get dropped, but the lower left 1/4 screen is bad and full of lines.
I'm wondering with all of the reports if SONY has a manufacturing issue?

Not dropped or any sort of mishandling. Kept in a hard sided pistol case and always in a M-edge case.

It will be interesting to hear Sony's response.....
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony doesn't make the displays, PVI does -- they make all the 6" displays, I believe.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, exvaxman -- do please let us know what happens, as you know we're very ... attentive to what happens with repairs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman View Post
Yet another reader that has a bad screen.
Didn't get dropped, but the lower left 1/4 screen is bad and full of lines.
I'm wondering with all of the reports if SONY has a manufacturing issue?

Not dropped or any sort of mishandling. Kept in a hard sided pistol case and always in a M-edge case.

It will be interesting to hear Sony's response.....
Bummer.......... Hope they fix it for you, should have the regular one year warranty right? Glad I bought the extended but mine seems to be doing just fine........ it works better than my computer has been (yes another crash Saturday)...... system file missing/corrupted..............:
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
My screen has done the same thing. I just went out and bought the 505. I do plan to fight with Sony to see if they will fix the 500 but based on what I've read here I'm not holding my breath since I did not purchase the extended protection plan (which I will be doing for the new one). Has anyone gotten theirs fixed? I did not do anything unusual to cause this (no drops, just carried it around in my brief case).

The good news is that it looks like the old power cord will work with the 505 (no longer comes with one).

EDIT - Looks like I'm SOL without even calling Sony. My 1 year was up on Oct 5th. bummer

-Greg

Last edited by Greg G; 10-13-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
ch1co
ch1co began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Unhappy

Got similar problem as well. I've been using the reader for several months now and yesterday, while reading, after turning a page the screen went like this. The reader was fully charged via DC adapter when it happended. All attempts to reanimate were unsuccessful. Tried hard reset as well. The unit can be seen in Connect Library, file transfer works fine, but the display stays like on the image above. Did anyone manage to fix it avoiding SONY service? Would help me a great deal, since shipping from Europe to US and reparation fee, would cost as much as a new prs-505
ch1co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I'm in the same boat.. the lines are about an inch wide and I can't read on it at all. Has anyone found a way to resolve it? Would the screen on the 505, being a different type, have less chance of suffering the same issue?
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
aleandre
aleandre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Cybook Opus, iPad
I just posted a similar thing in another thread here ("Broken") : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...934#post123934

I am also in Europe, and therefore not so keen on sending the reader to the US for repair. I'll try to call Sony in the US tomorrow about this, since apparently little can be done on their website (they give you the support phone number, 1-866-962-7669). I am making an online service request, hoping they will get back to me even if I am in Europe. The only thing is that I am not sure from their website that this is the right procedure for a potential exchange under warranty.
aleandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I just posted in the broken thread, I think everyone going straight to Sony may not be the best option, If it is a fault then it should be returned to the shop you bought it from for an exchange.
They should do that no probs... onlyy issue of course is that they are in the US but I still think if you pay postage they should sort it for you.
Has anyone actually tried ringing the shop they got it from?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
ch1co
ch1co began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Has anyone actually tried ringing the shop they got it from?
That was the 1st thing I did, and since I purchased over ebay, I contacted the seller, who has kindly provided me with a link to SONY's service site . But have to admit, they decided to receive the unit after it has been serviced and send back to Europe. Bottom line is - if PRS goes bad outside US, you're in a world of trouble...
ch1co is offline   Reply With Quote