Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

View Poll Results: Would Sunrise viewer be worth $19.95 to you?
YES! 8 36.36%
No, because... 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Would Sunrise viewer be worth $19.95 to you?

As many of you know, Laurens, the guy behind the wonderful Sunrise tool for Plucker, is working on his own e-book viewer.

If you are currently using Sunrise in conjunction with Plucker, and knowing that future (improved) versions of Sunrise won't be Plucker-compatible anymore, would you be willing to buy a single user license for Laurens' forthcoming viewer for $19.95? Too much? Too little?

This is a poll. Make sure to vote with 'yes' or 'no' and if you have a second, please comment your decision.

(In case it matters to you, I voted with YES).
Old 03-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Value

Well, for $30, you can get WordSmith, which is a full word processor - not just an eBook reader.

Then figuring that Plucker and many other readers are free.

My vote would be "No". $20 is too much for such a product.
Advert
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
lesliefranke
lesliefranke began at the beginning.

My thinking is that a price of $19.95 is probably on the high side of what I would pay. Considering there are quality, free alternatives a price of $14.95 would seem to be about right. That being said the suggested price is right in line with what iSilo costs. I guess it comes down to what exactly is the feature set.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
No, because I'm happy with Plucker... And Sunrise is Windows-only...

I'm sure it's a good tool, but I can't exactly use it, and Plucker is currently more than enough for me.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I am eager to see it. I think $15 is more like what I would like to pay. But a lot of work went into it and I'm inclined to support Laurens so he'll write more cool stuff.
Advert
Old 03-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I am eager to see it. I think $15 is more like what I would like to pay. But a lot of work went into it and I'm inclined to support Laurens so he'll write more cool stuff.
Ditto. I'd say to begin with, $14.95 sounds like a good price. Over time, as more features are added to Sunshine viewer, a price such as $19.95 sounds more realistically.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Details...

The devil is in the details. You mention an ebook reader for $20, but the post is about an offline news reader more than anything. What will it do for me that the others can't?

Sorry, I just don't see the need for another proprietary ebook reader.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
It really would depend on how much better it is against both iSilo and Plucker. Since I have both installed, I don't need another one unless it can do what the others don't. If it's much better than those two I mentioned then $20 would be worth it. On the other hand, if its just on-par or less functional, or buggy then even at $10, I wouldn't consider it.

AS I see it, Sunrise's commercial brethren would be better off as a good offline reader since most people already uses Palm Reader or Mobipocket for ebooks, both of which has free functional versions. For offline readers, the choices are Avantgo, iSilo, Handstory, and Plucker. Avantgo is mostly limited to its own partners, Handstory works better as a swiss-army knife reader/viewer than offline Reader. Isilo and Plucker are therefore the premier Palm offline viewers and Sunrise's successor main competitor. iSilo has a good desktop companion in iSiloX, while Plucker rely mostly on Laurn's own Sunrise tool. So how much better than those would determine whether $20 is worth shelling out for the next version of Sunrise.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
opinari
opinari began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T|T
I would buy Sunrise for $19.95, depending on the improvements, and IF it supported Plucker. Since it doesn't, then I doubt I would buy it for $4.95, let alone $19.95.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:31 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If Sunrise Viewer will be better than Plucker of iSilo, I am willing to pay the $19.95. However, from a marketing point of view, I think a price below $15 to start with would be wiser.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
tovarish
Enthusiast
tovarish began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
for 20$ it must be really much better than Plucker in funtionality. This means to be able to customising reading of text that I really want to read and not the other stuff in webpages. Sunrise desktop already does a lot in this direction.

tovarish
Old 03-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #12
mercedes
Apple and Sony zealot
mercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it is

Device: TH55
I guess the price would be justified if registered users of the viewer would get new and updated SDLs. I think the SDL has some value too because they have to be updated and tweaked. For example The NYT Tech and Circuits text edition SDLs are broken and I don't have a clue how to fix them. Well, in a sense only registered users would be able to use new and updated SDLs because eventually plucker support will be dropped from the Sunrise converter tool.

One thing that I would like to see in the sunrise viewer is the ability to save individual articles. When I use the export to memo function in plucker I only get whats shown on the screen and not the whole article.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #13
Ernie Longmire
Ernie Longmire began at the beginning.

I'm open to the idea of a commercial version, but for now I voted no since Sunrise Desktop + Plucker already do everything I need. I don't have any use for any of the feed management options that seem to be the main benefit of the proposed commercial version, and I have absolutely zero interest in supporting Yet Another Proprietary Document Format in any case.

I'd pay $10 for Sunrise Desktop though, provided it kept all of its current functionality (including the ability to export in Plucker format) and there was a commitment to continue maintaining it over the long term.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #14
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Laurens should post what we would get as an improvement to the current sunrise+plucker combo.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #15
maceyr
Palm Discoverer
maceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 & Zire 71
It all depends on what features are offered in the software. I agree that I'm more inclined to paying $14.95 for it than $19.95.

If there are enough features to justify paying for it compared to the freeware version then I would pay for it.