Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Question free-ebooks.net DRMed?

Hi,

I just saw free-ebooks.net gives away a VIP for free for a week if you register and like them on facebook.

I saw some good books, and thought of downloading a few to read in the coming weeks.

How do I know they have drm? (like they will become unreadable after a time?)

I know after that they request just an $8 charge, and you can continue to download many good books! But I am not too fond of paying every other month just because some of the books I downloaded, got into DRM protected mode or so...

Thanks!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Try emailing them? I've done that with multiple online stores and publishers who sell direct, and every time I get a response back in 24 hours or less, giving me a clear answer.

I looked through their FAQ, but it's not in there, so it looks like contacting them is the next best option. Unless someone else here knows already.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I see they have mobi versions of their books available and they're advertising it for use on the Kindle. If so, it simply HAS to be DRM-free (only Amazon's DRM would work on a Kindle). And if it's DRM-free, there's really no reason for the same book in ePub to have DRM.

But I'd email them to make sure.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Usually sites that charge a flat rate to download multiple books are a scam, and the books are illegal.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Usually sites that charge a flat rate to download multiple books are a scam, and the books are illegal.
That's a bit of an over-generalization, isn't it? It's a very common business model in the online music industry, though the stream the files rather than letting you download them. It only makes sense that ebooks would follow suit and offer a subscription based service. What better way to guarantee revenue than "if you stop paying us you lose access to all the books"?

And on that note, it's very likely that the books will have some form of DRM, that makes them inaccessible if you stop paying for them.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I usually tend to agree. But that site appears to be truly only hooking up independent authors with willing readers. A way to get their books out there that the authors have agreed to. A cursory glance around didn't show any titles that would set off any alarms.

Of course that could still all be a deception once you become a "VIP" and get to look behind the curtain.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a VIP for a week. So far VIP status only adds the possibility to download epub, mobi, and so on. HTML and TXT versions of the books you can access by having a free account. They're the same, only HTML is limited to your webbrowser, and txt is the book without any illustrations or pictures.

I don't really understand this VIP business. It is possible to become VIP, and download their whole gallery. Why would anyone become VIP for longer than a few days I don't know. It seems they only have a few new books a month, so it's not worth spending the $8 every month for the few books that get added each month.

Also, so far no major authors in there; and some books come with only the first 35 pages, which is some sort of sampler I guess... But most come with all pages, although most books don't have that many pages!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

So what's the scoop on the DRM status, then? None right?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac

None so far.
It seems I can open an epub file, and if there where drm in it, it should contain a file called 'rights.xml' or something like that. None of the files have that file included.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Most of the books on this site seem like pretty lousy books!
Many short stories, many books written by authors who would never get their books sold, and many who are just dillusional and want to show the world their weird train of thinking.

Finding a good book is like going with a needle through a hay stack.

So far I've read about 15 books of them, if after 20 pages they don't grab my attention (is what I call the grace period), or I kind of have a feeling the book won't be very good, I delete the book.

And aside from a few good tips in books no larger than 11 pages (some even with half commercial in them), I deleted all larger books.

On the other hand I've had great pleasure reading some SF books from this site:
http://www.baen.com/library/books.asp

That is Baens Free Library. Basically some writers write good books, but are not well known. They let you read their first book for free, hoping you will buy their other books.
The other books are usually a follow up on the story, meaning eventhough their first book is a story on itself, you'll need to read all the volumes to know the end.

It's a good and healthy trade, and a good and healthy way to get to know good writers!

I highly recommend the baens free library, and if possible support the authors.

Tags
drm, free-ebooks