Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #136
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is often safe to skip Reset.

You probably want to delete everything in the *.sdr directories in the documents directory and below because they may not be compatible with the newer firmware
I did the reset and now the kindle wants to do the initial setup. At the point where it wants to connect to wifi, I reattached the usb cable and discovered the OTA blocker was gone, so I added it. I hadn't setup wifi and there's no cell, so it couldn't have updated beyond the reset. Now just how far do I go in the setup?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #137
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I did the reset and now the kindle wants to do the initial setup. At the point where it wants to connect to wifi, I reattached the usb cable and discovered the OTA blocker was gone, so I added it. I hadn't setup wifi and there's no cell, so it couldn't have updated beyond the reset. Now just how far do I go in the setup?
I usually install factory firmware directly after skipping wifi setup. That way, I'm sure the device ain't getting any surprise automatic firmware updates from Amazon.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Select language
When Wifi populates with list of APs, select "setup later".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #139
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've gotten to step 5 and The Eagle has not landed. The wiki says I should have a jailbroken document in the documents folder and I don't have one. The link in this thread on page one to the correct jailbreak for step 5 is broken to I went the Snapshot thread and under Packages Targeting the Kindle 5 (this is for a pw3) I chose the second item. Is it supposed to have the .xz extension when I use it?

I typed into the search box ";installHtml" without the quotes. I got no error messages. So I don't know what to do now.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #140
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Select language
When Wifi populates with list of APs, select "setup later".
Quote:
I've gotten to step 5 and The Eagle has not landed. The wiki says I should have a jailbroken document in the documents folder and I don't have one. The link in this thread on page one to the correct jailbreak for step 5 is broken to I went the Snapshot thread and under Packages Targeting the Kindle 5 (this is for a pw3) I chose the second item. Is it supposed to have the .xz extension when I use it?

I typed into the search box ";installHtml" without the quotes. I got no error messages. So I don't know what to do now.
All the instructions say to put the file in the topmost folder and not to unpack the archive. I'm wondering why it didn't work?
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #141
jangell2
Addict

Even though the instructions are for Windows and I'm a mac, I tried extracting to get the html-viewer-tar.gz version and that worked. What I had thought was that no extraction was required.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #142
jangell2
Addict

I have applied the hot fix successfully. I don't plan on updating with newer firmware, so I'm finished with the jail break. Now on to installing some sort of collection software. I've never used Librariansync, but everyone says it's great so I'll look at that.

Thank you, thank you for all the work represented by this thread.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #143
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All the instructions say to put the file in the topmost folder and not to unpack the archive. I'm wondering why it didn't work?
The original package linked to by the wiki was simply main-htmlviewer.tar.gz so that one just needed to be copied directly to the Kindle.

The package on the Snapshots thread, the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file is inside a tar.xz and requires extraction to get the tar.gz.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #144
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I have applied the hot fix successfully. I don't plan on updating with newer firmware, so I'm finished with the jail break. Now on to installing some sort of collection software. I've never used Librariansync, but everyone says it's great so I'll look at that.

Thank you, thank you for all the work represented by this thread.
You are asking for trouble if you stick with running the factory firmware. You really need to install customer firmware > or = the factory version you are running.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #145
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
You are asking for trouble if you stick with running the factory firmware. You really need to install customer firmware > or = the factory version you are running.
+++ All of the update images are on the Amazon server.

Just diddle the fw version number(s) in the current update url.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #146
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Earlier I had to install customer fw because some an update failed and the instructions suggesting doing that, then installing the factory fw. I've still got that bin, so I can install it. It's name is update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1.

Why is it important to get off the factory fw? Just curious.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #147
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Earlier I had to install customer fw because some an update failed and the instructions suggesting doing that, then installing the factory fw. I've still got that bin, so I can install it. It's name is update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1.

Why is it important to get off the factory fw? Just curious.
Yes, update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1 is perhaps optimum in the sense that you can reinstall the factory 5.9.6.1 if your system ever gets corrupted.

The factory firmware is not a superset of the customer firmware and lacks some components. I do not have direct experience with this, but I have read many posts where it turns out someone was trying to do something with factory firmware and the fix was to install customer use firmware.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #148
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Yes, update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1 is perhaps optimum in the sense that you can reinstall the factory 5.9.6.1 if your system ever gets corrupted.

The factory firmware is not a superset of the customer firmware and lacks some components. I do not have direct experience with this, but I have read many posts where it turns out someone was trying to do something with factory firmware and the fix was to install customer use firmware.
I did the install and now KUAL doesn't work.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #149
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did the install and now KUAL doesn't work.
The time to install consumer use firmware is after the hotfix install. Only then is it time to install MRPI, KUAL, etc. The instructions are in a particular order for a reason.

You need to reinstall the packages.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #150
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
The factory firmware is not a superset of the customer firmware and lacks some components.
I do wonder about this.

I've unpacked and compared customer and factory firmware versions of both PW3 5.9.6.1 and PW4 5.10.1.3. In both cases, they were identical except for /usr/local/ on factory.

To be honest, I'm guessing the reason we're even able to extract factory firmware is because that's what gets loaded to the Kindle and the excess stuff is just removed via ;shpm.

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak