Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2024, 06:17 PM   #1
Soire
Soire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Found a Cover for my PRS-500 - New and Original

I recently bought a PRS-500 in reasonably good condition. It came with original CD and Charger and booklet. I like this new addition to my Sony Reader collection

There's always the question of original accessories, especially covers. They sort of disintegrate with time and it is increasingly difficult to find old new stock. But here is one:

Original leather cover https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/36321887

It's kind of in-your-face green. But I happen to like it

Is there actually anyone out there who still uses or owns a PRS-500? And how is your experience with this rather antique reading device?

Btw. mine ist not updated to support epub.
Soire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When Sony updated the PRS-500 to handle ePub, you had to send it in. It was just a firmware update. If it's not able to handle ePub, it never will as Sony is not doing that any longer.

Honestly, I cannt see anyone still using a 500. The screen contrast is very poor. It's heavy. The battery most likely would be not good. And no front light. And if it doesn't do ePub, it never will.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 08:11 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have 2 of those old PRS 500s - and a bunch of original crap that came with it.

To answer your first question: No. I'd have to be insane to want to read on something that old.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:25 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have 2 of those old PRS 500s - and a bunch of original crap that came with it.

To answer your first question: No. I'd have to be insane to want to read on something that old.
I wonder what the condition of the batteries are.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:34 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In my Sony 500s, the batteries are surprisingly good. And easily found, bought an replaced if they aren't in good condition.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 11:41 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soire View Post
...There's always the question of original accessories, especially covers. They sort of disintegrate with time and it is increasingly difficult to find old new stock. But here is one:

Original leather cover https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/36321887

It's kind of in-your-face green. But I happen to like it

Is there actually anyone out there who still uses or owns a PRS-500? And how is your experience with this rather antique reading device?

Btw. mine ist not updated to support epub.
I still have some 500s, I don't use them much, but they still work. Congratulations on finding the case. My brother used to like that lime green.

EDIT: I was thinking of the 505. I do have one 500, but it's battery is pretty much toast.

If you live in the U.S., Shop Goodwill has a 500 up for sale, with black case and charger. A day left on the auction and no one has made a bid.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/197292409
Old 05-02-2024, 11:59 PM   #7
Glenn680
Glenn680 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I still have some 500s, I don't use them much, but they still work. Congratulations on finding the case. My brother used to like that lime green.

EDIT: I was thinking of the 505. I do have one 500, but it's battery is pretty much toast.

If you live in the U.S., Shop Goodwill has a 500 up for sale, with black case and charger. A day left on the auction and no one has made a bid.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/197292409
I can fully relate to the OP.

Recently purchased a PRS-505 new in box. Never owned one, so many in this forum seemed to love them. Thought the battery may be dead, it's not. Added a Glocuscent reading light from Amazon that attaches to the included 505 pleather cover. Lights the 505 up beautifully corner to corner, with varied brightness and hues.

I can see why there was such interest in the PRS-505 at the time. Solid aluminum build. Loads ePub without issue. Looks and feels like something an astronaut might use on the moon. For anyone interested, recommend picking up one on eBay or Shopgoodwill and judging for yourself.
Glenn680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:42 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's a good question. Although I was I checked my air conditioned storage in February, I didn't check the box containing 7 or 8 ebook readers. I'll try to do that during this coming Christmas.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's a good question. Although I was I checked my air conditioned storage in February, I didn't check the box containing 7 or 8 ebook readers. I'll try to do that during this coming Christmas.
I have my T1 and nook STR. I have no idea what the batteries are like. I know the battery in my 650 has pretty well had it.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:49 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn680 View Post
I can fully relate to the OP.

Recently purchased a PRS-505 new in box. Never owned one, so many in this forum seemed to love them. Thought the battery may be dead, it's not. Added a Glocuscent reading light from Amazon that attaches to the included 505 pleather cover. Lights the 505 up beautifully corner to corner, with varied brightness and hues.

I can see why there was such interest in the PRS-505 at the time. Solid aluminum build. Loads ePub without issue. Looks and feels like something an astronaut might use on the moon. For anyone interested, recommend picking up one on eBay or Shopgoodwill and judging for yourself.
I'm curious which Glocusent reading light you bought. I never heard of these before, but it looks like there are quite a few of them.

I've got 505s (no one would ever bid on them at Shop Goodwill), even a couple of the their cases with the built in lights — but those are heavy and kind of unwieldy. The Glocusent light might be the better option.

EDIT:I went ahead and got this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

It was on sale for about $7.50 with the 10% coupon. The sale was ending in about 3 hours. (One day sale thing.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-03-2024 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added information + corrected spelling error
Old 05-04-2024, 11:08 AM   #11
Glenn680

That's a great price. I initially had the gooseneck version but it tended not to stay in place. Instead opted for this clip-on version in white which sits just above the Reader. Same variety of brightness and hue options on both versions: https://www.amazon.com/Glocusent-Rec...st_sto_dp&th=1

The Glocusent lights from my experience introduce new usability for the PRS-505. I'm also using a PRS-650 which I picked up lightly used earlier this year. Thankfully it came with an original Sony case, so use the Glocusent for that one too. Cases for most of the older Sony Readers seem really difficult to obtain. If anyone on this forum has older Sony Reader cases for sale, I'd be very interested.

Let us know how it goes with the Glocusent light.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:26 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's a great price. I initially had the gooseneck version but it tended not to stay in place. Instead opted for this clip-on version in white which sits just above the Reader. Same variety of brightness and hue options on both versions: https://www.amazon.com/Glocusent-Rec...st_sto_dp&th=1

The Glocusent lights from my experience introduce new usability for the PRS-505. I'm also using a PRS-650 which I picked up lightly used earlier this year. Thankfully it came with an original Sony case, so use the Glocusent for that one too. Cases for most of the older Sony Readers seem really difficult to obtain. If anyone on this forum has older Sony Reader cases for sale, I'd be very interested.

Let us know how it goes with the Glocusent light.
Well, drat, I got one of the gooseneck ones. Both were on sale, but I thought the one you bought would be too narrow at the "clip" (or whatever it's called on that model). If mine doesn't work for an eReader light I may be able to use it for a keyboard light. Supposedly it will stand up on its own (that might have been the heavier one, now that I think about it). It's supposed to come in today, so I'll let you know how it works out.

What Sony model cases are you looking for?
Old 05-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #13
Glenn680

Primarily looking for an OEM Sony case for the PRS-650. Think the model number is PRSA-SC65. Not interested as much in the OEM lighted cover since the Glocusent should do a better job. Also have a PRS-950 without a case, so would be interested in a cover without light for that one also.

On the Glocusent lights, you may want to order the other and then return the one less preferable. The clip on the flip-up/thicker one slides easily and stays snugly secured on the back cover.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:24 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Primarily looking for an OEM Sony case for the PRS-650. Think the model number is PRSA-SC65. Not interested as much in the OEM lighted cover since the Glocusent should do a better job. Also have a PRS-950 without a case, so would be interested in a cover without light for that one also.
Unfortunately I don't have either. And, today, when charging a PRS-300 the plastic strip that holds in the reader, broke at the top (where it clips in). The plastic in these cases is getting brittle as are the styluses for the PRS-350s. One of those broke a little while ago. So I would have trouble selling these cases even if I had any. I don't know how long they're going to last.

Quote:
On the Glocusent lights, you may want to order the other and then return the one less preferable. The clip on the flip-up/thicker one slides easily and stays snugly secured on the back cover.
The one I've got is going to work well. With the old Sonys I take them out of their cases when reading with them because the cases don't bend over on themselves (and are uncomfortable to use). But I can clip the Glocusent on the left, top corner and it lights up the screen very nicely with a nice amber glow. The light will also stand on its own, which will be useful for working on stuff in low light. So I'm happy with the light.

I forgot I had a Kobo Clip light, which fits well on the Sony PRS-505, but it's brighter than the Glocusent and only has white light.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up on the Glocusent lights. These are nice.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:15 AM   #15
Soire
Soire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Congratulations on finding the case. My brother used to like that lime green.

My 500 does not connect to any modern device at all, but does work with my vintage Windows XP setup. Battery is actually in pretty good shape considering. Lasted the length of 1 book

Trying to compare the 500 and 505 is like comparing apples and oranges. They're worlds apart. I like the way the 505 feels and I still read one or the other book with it.

I was lucky enough to obtain one of these original black light covers a few weeks back: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Lighte...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Quote:
These covers are so hard to come by. They tend to almost unravel with time. With a T1 and a T3 cover, I actually removed the plastic (leathery) layer off the fabric, because they were in such a bad state. Now they look like linen bound books. Maybe I will glue some fabric or faux leather to the covers to stabilize/make them look nicer.

I might add a tutorial on how to "refurbish" fraying original Sony covers once I am finished with experimenting. BTW. this seller has T1/T2 new old stock covers for sale in all 3 colors:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dkr=...kw=sony%20prsa

Not sure they ship internationally. I got a white one from them and it's pristine. No light though.

Quote:
... And, today, when charging a PRS-300 the plastic strip that holds in the reader, broke at the top (where it clips in).
Spinningwoman a few years back printed some for PRS-350 and another model, but maybe she can help with this. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4258062

I am happily hunting for more Sony reader models since I am planning on a collection of every model ever made, preferably in all colors. Will occupy me a while
Soire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, poll, prs-500, sony prs-500