Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Touch acting weird

Well after a few years of not using it I booted up my Touch and transferred some old books onto it from Gutenberg. Two were short science fiction stories from pulp magazines in the 50s, and I decided to read one of those the other night. It was going great but then the whole thing just froze up at page 7. Tried it several times, rebooted it, tried again, same issue. Tried it with another story, again it froze at page 7. Dodgy download I thought, so I read one of them on my phone, no problem.
Also I noticed when I move it there's a sound like something moving inside. No idea what that could be, its been sat in a cupboard for ages!
Anyway, today I started reading a novel, downloaded the same time as those stories, and all seems fine now.
So far so good.
Very odd...
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There is probably something wrong in the book you were reading. Reading it elsewhere doesn't prove a lot as it depends on how the other reader handles errors. For epubs, Kobo uses the Adobe RMSDK. That is very unforgiving of errors in the book code. A book that the calibre viewer shows with no obvious problems might not be displayable on a Kobo device. Or look very different. Running an error check on the book (via calibre editor, Sigil or EPUBCheck) might show what is wrong. And the code in books from Project Gutenberg is not the best. They are likely to cause problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 06:48 AM   #3
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Ah I don't have access to a pc at at the moment. I just use my phone to do pretty much everything, except read ebooks
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote