Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
Lightbulb Highlighting PDFs

Hello...I am trying to integrate the Sony Reader into my work process, which involves a lot of journal articles that are PDFs. I have found the following which may be useful to other people who are using the Reader for note-taking/highlighting. Forgive me if these have been posted elsewhere...
  • Word documents can be dropped into the Ebook Library software and are converted NICELY for the Reader. I do this to edit my writing instead of printing paper all the time. I even use Nisus Writer Pro on my Mac which saves to .doc format, and the conversion still works beautifully. I find that the stylus works best for editing, to cross out, underline and circle mistakes or make comments.
  • PDFs that are NOT formatted for the Reader can best be read in Landscape mode. Sometimes, and I don't know why, PDFs can be "reflowed" to a larger font size. (BTW all my PDFs have been OCRd/Indexed so text can be highlighted).
  • Highlighting in other (MAC OSX) programs carries over to the Reader. If you highlight a PDF in, say, Skim or Sente (and I imagine Papers), and you drag the PDF into the Reader, it preserves your highlighting in both the software and the Reader itself. However, THIS IS A ONE-WAY ROAD, i.e., you cannot highlight on the Reader or the ebook Library software and have that carry over into other programs. I am not sure if this is actually useful. This "one way" highlighting MIGHT be useful for those that highlight PDFs on their computer and then re-read later on the Reader, tracing over the computer highlights with eReader highlights (to keep the text). One thing also: Highlighting in the Reader or its software does not erase the highlighting done in other OSX programs (this has not been the case for some programs with Skim, whose annotations seem to be erased by other software in the current OSX version).

I hope this helps someone or gets a dialogue going about how academics can use the Reader for their work.

Also: I am trying to figure out how to reflow PDF documents that have been converted into indexed PDFs (used Devonthink Pro Office to do many of them). Also to get around the two-column PDF problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reflow PDFs for the Reader?

Thanks, R.
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic use, highlight, pdf conversion, workflow