Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Cootey
Groupie
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kindle Paperwhite 7, iPad Air, iPhone 8
Which ereaders donít have web browsers?

I was asked today by one of my blog readers which ereaders *donít* feature a built-in web browser. She wants her kids to enjoy ebooks, but not the seedy underbelly of the web. Got any suggestions?

I have a Kindle and Kobo, but canít shut off the web browsers. Besides, they are helpful when logging into WiFi portals. I use my Kobo to log into Overdrive to get ebooks, too.

It might be easier to just prevent the ereader from accessing the web via MAC address blocking on her router, but maybe somebody out there has other suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that Iím all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Kindles have Parental Controls. And the browser is horrible, slow, and can't be used on most graphic heavy sites. But the Parental Controls can be used to block access to the browser.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
I don't think any of the Nooks have accessible web browsers. The Nook Glowlight 3 is the newest.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Turning off WiFi makes any browser useless.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Tell her to try using a eInk screen to browse the web and perhaps to try playing a YouTube video. I suspect that she will not worry about her kids browsing the internet on an eInk device after that experience.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Cootey
Groupie
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Kindles have Parental Controls. And the browser is horrible, slow, and can't be used on most graphic heavy sites. But the Parental Controls can be used to block access to the browser.

Thanks. I wasnít aware my Kindle could do that. I never played around with the parental controls. This might be just what she was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that Iím all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com
Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Lenovo A10-70, Motorola Z2 Play, 1st Gen Kindle Fire
Every browser I've ever seen on an eReader device is so awful, slow, and difficult to use, that no one in their right mind would willingly use them for anything when it is so much easier to use something else. That is certainly true of the Kindle browser.

And I doubt that there is any kid between the ages of 12 - 18, that can't get around parental controls on a browser. If kid "A" doesn't know how to do it, kid "B" will be happy to show him/her.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Since E-readers aren't tablets ,they are dedicated to reading only , it is hard to navigate through the web with an E-ink screen, it is frustrating on my kindles and kobo. The browser is slow.

I think she has nothing to worry about with E-readers.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
Braid
Zealot
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I understand the concern - I would be so devastated if I found my children on mobileread arguing about Kindle vs Kobo.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I understand the concern - I would be so devastated if I found my children on mobileread arguing about Kindle vs Kobo.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Or e-ink vs LCD... or the Evils of DRM!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #12
Cootey
Groupie

Hahaha Well, I don't use the browser either, but my daughter uses the browser on her KA1 to add books with Overdrive. I don't have the patience for that.

I think this mother is more worried about potential issues. She doesn't realize how slow these browsers are.

Thanks for everybody's feedback. I told her to go with a Kindle.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #13
Aesthete
Aesthete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
The Sony digital paper products don't have web browsers (but she probably doesn't want to spend $600 on an ereader for her kids).
Aesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
kcladyz
Lover of little parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 7", Paperwhite, iPad 9.7, ASUS 8, Fire & and 8 inch
Nook does not have a browser. My kindle and my kobo does.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
I doubt buying a nook would be a wise purchase. Isn't B&N circling the drain?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote